Jump to content
whj812

Jig Fishing Questions

Recommended Posts

I have jigs tied on year round and mostly throw them around laydowns and structure. You can work a jig many different ways... Drag it, hop it, swim it and feel the bottom as your doing it. I always have a trailer to give it a bigger presentation and add action too it. Try to match it to the type of forage in your ponds/lakes.Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New to jigs used one yesterday and caught 2 solid bass one was probably a 4, most places that I fish are very weedy and I almost always bring in weeds, are certain types of jigs more weed proof than others and does trimming off some of the weed guard make it less weedless? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just asked about jigs in grass the other day.

The responses were very helpful... FWIW, I didn't find that the weedguard trim made a ton of difference, but YMMV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2007 at 11:15 AM, jaskoh said:

When is the proper time to use a jig? Year Round IMO

How do I work the lure? For me 75% of the time they hit it on the intitial fall. So make a good presentation and thats half the battle. If not let it settle to the bottom. Lift the Jig off the bottom and let it settle again.  Some people swim these baits but I have very little experience in that.

Are trailers required? and What advantages do they add? I always use trailers. Different size ones in different situations but always use them. It makes the jig drop slower which keeps it in front of the Bass' nose for a longer period of time. Not to mention the movement of the trailer creats more vibrations in the water.

I'm not big into Jigs but i've noticed the same thing, i'd like 85% of the time they hit it on the initial cast and rarely get them on the retrieve so when bringing it back in i usually just pull it up and let her drop over n over

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read all 19 pages, but if I missed this question answered I apologize.  I fish a lake with a silty bottom and clear water.  When I drag or hop a jig it seems to just annoy the bass with the big cloud of brown silt.  Is this still a good technique or should I fish a jig differently here?

This is a great thread by the way, I learned a ton reading it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I go lighter in places like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Hooked_stl said:

I read all 19 pages, but if I missed this question answered I apologize.  I fish a lake with a silty bottom and clear water.  When I drag or hop a jig it seems to just annoy the bass with the big cloud of brown silt.  Is this still a good technique or should I fish a jig differently here?

This is a great thread by the way, I learned a ton reading it.

I would imagine lighter and smaller would help.  But in a lot of ways you're imitating a craw anyways and I would imagine that a craw swimming would do the same silt cloud.  May work in your favor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could experiment with 1/4oz or maybe a different shape 3/8oz jig.  Try a smaller profile jig trailer as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stk said:

You could experiment with 1/4oz or maybe a different shape 3/8oz jig.  Try a smaller profile jig trailer as well.

I'll give that a shot.  Thanks.  After reading this thread I respooled my reel with fluoro and I'm determined the learn the fine art of jig fishing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hooked_stl said:

when you say lighter, do you mean a lighter weight jig?  I'm using a 3/8 oz now.  

Yeah, lighter weight.  Like 1/4 oz, maybe less. You could try different approach, like a 3/32 wacky jig and flick shake worm.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trailers are pretty much needed in my opinion the are what customizes the presentation. I use jigs quite a bit. I fish fast and slow is summer. slow at mid day fast at dawn and sun down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow...just read all 19 pages...what a great thread...still...almost 10 years later.

Lots of good info here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

awesome video i watched about not missing fish on jigs and the hook set. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was a great Sunday morning read.....learned a lot.  I love jig fishing as my biggest fish has been on them,,,,I just loose to many.  Goal for the Winter is to acquire a dedicated jig setup...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone tried the zero gravity jigs? I just got one and am curious if anyone uses them or has trailer advice.

 

My favorite jig lately has been a baby booyah jig with a paca trailer.  I'm really having fun finesse jigging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A-Jay

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Use jigs all year long and you need trailers to give it the better presentation. They may be suddle hits so watch you line in the water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2007 at 11:15 AM, jaskoh said:

When is the proper time to use a jig? Year Round IMO

How do I work the lure? For me 75% of the time they hit it on the intitial fall. So make a good presentation and thats half the battle. If not let it settle to the bottom. Lift the Jig off the bottom and let it settle again.  Some people swim these baits but I have very little experience in that.

Are trailers required? and What advantages do they add? I always use trailers. Different size ones in different situations but always use them. It makes the jig drop slower which keeps it in front of the Bass' nose for a longer period of time. Not to mention the movement of the trailer creats more vibrations in the water.

Very well Said!!! Couldn't have answered it any better!! Good info! But I would direct him to YOUTUBE for the most help, with size, weight, head type, so many different varieties depending on the type of lakes/pond he is fishing in.! Great words of wisdom though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 pages loaded with information, and you want to tell somebody to go somewhere else "for the most help"?  Seriously?

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a long thread and I can't read each question and answer.

 

Does anyone else cut the weedguards on their jigs? I typically do, yet I get snagged a lot. I guess the real question is: does anyone see a difference between not trimming the weedguard and trimming it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Zeeter said:

This is a long thread and I can't read each question and answer.

 

Does anyone else cut the weedguards on their jigs? I typically do, yet I get snagged a lot. I guess the real question is: does anyone see a difference between not trimming the weedguard and trimming it?

What brand and style of Jig is getting you snagged up a lot? I mean fishing Jigs where fish are will get snagged it happens but what are you calling a lot? Every other cast every 10 to 15 casts?  Are you bank or boat? 

 

Fishing from a boat I have occasionally set the hook in a less than desirable object. I fish in the logs and trees pretty often but don't get hung up maybe 3 or 4 times a day. I mean hung up where I have to go get it if I want my jig back.  Bank fishing I probably leave a few places I might have found a bass just because I calculated the odds of losing a favorite jig vs what I thought I might pull out of the spot fish wise. I fish for fun and I don't always take the high risk vs reward casts. 

 

I do not trim the weed guards. I have removed some strands to weaken a overly stiff guard. If you "trim" it stiffens the bristles. I like a soft guard it doesn't take much to keep the small jig clear from getting the hook accidentally exposed. That is all I need the guard to do.

 

I have been using a lot of Siebert Outdoors jigs over the last 7-8 months and never touch the guard. That little extra length doesn't hurt a thing from my experience. Maybe in a jig that had a lesser design where the guard was standing more vertical but even then trimming it wouldn't cure that.

 

As you can see Mike @Siebert Outdoors has the guard laid back slightly above the hook. This allows the jig to easily glide over cover and is at a great angle where there is little resistance from the bite of a fish. I found he uses a stiff enough guard that it gets through cover and yet its soft enough that it will collapse easily when bit. 

 

Siebert Outdoors weedguard placement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2016 at 11:26 AM, Glenn said:

19 pages loaded with information, and you want to tell somebody to go somewhere else "for the most help"?  Seriously?

Well Glenn you do have a YouTube channel (It's even in your signature each time you post) and some people do like to visually see what people are explaining. :whistle:

 

I don't think, although I could be mistaken, that AnglingNvirginia meant any disrespect to these forums.  :Idontknow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Go to YouTube" as an answer is about as useful as "Google it."  Disrespectful?  Probably not, but not helpful at all, and is discouraged.

 

Yes, we have a YouTube channel.  It's a tool to put useful, instructional videos in the threads on this forum.  The forum software even lets you view them, without leaving this site.  Our tagline is after all, The Ultimate Bass Fishing Resource Guide.  We expect our membership to live up to that tagline.  Membership contributions are what make this site what it is.

 

19 hours ago, S. Sass said:

Well Glenn you do have a YouTube channel (It's even in your signature each time you post) and some people do like to visually see what people are explaining. :whistle:

 

I don't think, although I could be mistaken, that AnglingNvirginia meant any disrespect to these forums.  :Idontknow:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont trim my guards...i use to cut them at an angle but I feel like it doesnt make a difference.

 

Best thing I do is spread the guard.  It softens it and protects the sides of the hook when rolling over a limb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...