Sign in to follow this  
fishthedayaway

Cleaning Your Baitcasters

You can't fully maintain your reels if you don't go into the gear sideplate, and clean out the internals. I see videos a lot on YT like this, and this type of cleaning really does not do anything for you. This type of cleaning will NOT get the absolute best performance, and will actually hurt the reels performance because you are adding oil where there should be grease (drive shaft) and you are over oiling those bearings (boca's are usually run dry anyway). All the grease and gunk is inside that gear side plate. Don't be afraid to open it up. Nothing flies out of anything like that, and it is very simple.

Also, oiling everything like that just adds to the gunk that is in those bearings. To clean a bearing, you have to take it out, throw it in some acetone or brake cleaner, and let it soak. You can also attach it to a dremel and spin in at high speeds to "vortex clean" them.

We have a lot of members, including professional servicers, that have written a number

of articles on how to clean reels. There is too much misinformation in this video to be of

any value. Here is an article to reference:  http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/supertune-baitcaster.html

• Like 2

as to where to put the oil i was going off of the diagram included with the revos. and also, I did say to run the boca's dry, since thats how they were meant to be used. (great investment IMO) I have noticed a significant difference even when i bought one brand new it would cast a noticeable distance farther and was smoother after i had cleaned it.

Its very important when i was younger i never took care of reels that well. i would fish a lot of scum ponds and my reals would be filthy. the way i cleaned it was very basic but not to me its like an art of taking my reels apart and cleaning , oiling and greasing.  the article Roadwarrior are suggestion are very informative and i learned a bunch for them a few years ago.

We have a lot of members, including professional servicers, that have written a number

of articles on how to clean reels. There is too much misinformation in this video to be of

any value. Here is an article to reference:  http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/supertune-baitcaster.html

Dang! That's a well written article! Get's me pumped to tear into my reels and try it. Just too scared to. I'd need a 3rd shot glass, with Jim Beam in it. Srs, I'd love to try it but just not that confident in doing it. Do you have someone that you would recommend sending a reel or 2 to have a super tune like this done?

If you have never tried taking a reel apart yourself, I think you should try. It is so easy that it would surprise you. Nothing flies out or anything like that.

Not trying to discouragement your affect, but you need to do more than that to get it completely cleaned.