Sign in to follow this  
Tyler j

Top Water Set Up

I really have some questions about a top water/ spinnerbait rod. I think I have decided on a 6.4.1 gear ratio and a 6-6 or 6-10 rod. I am very interested in the quantum smoke rod in the 6-10/ moderate - fast action, but I like throwing big I'm talking big spooks and wake baits but I also like throwing the little stuff. I currently run two rods, one for big baits which I only throw at night and, a little cheap 6-6 that was gave to me. Another issue that concerns me is that if I am throwing braid and it gets a not in it, and I try to cast with micros the rods in the lake. Please help sincerely , Tyler

you need to break down what questions you are asking,I read it a few times and didn't understand what questions where being asked 

If a leader knot passing through a micro guide is your concern then don't use a leader, or don't get micro guides.

When in doubt on the type of rod to get go with a MH/F rod in appropriate length.

I found a Smoke 6'6" Medium Fast and Medium Heavy Fast, a 7' Medium Moderate, but no 6'10 at all.  Sounds like you are wanting to replace the cheap 6'6" rod you use during daylight to throw lighter lures.  For me that would be a MF or MXF although I've read of some using Moderate (crankbait) rods.  Guess it is all personal choice.  I personally feel a Fast action rod is the most versatile.

I was using the Fenwick Smallmouth 6'9" MXF last year with a topwater lure.  I felt it did a good job working the topwater lure.  Unfortunately it didn't produce any fish for me, but that was because of the area I was casting into.  You might consider the Smallmouth 6'10" MF.  It is one of my favorite rods.

EDIT:  Avoid losing your rod because of wind knots.......use a rod with regular size guides.  I have both types and prefer the regular guides.