Sign in to follow this  
MarksHooked

Which Should I Use For What?

Hey friends. Firstly, I wanted to thank each and every member who has ever posted an opinion on rods, reels, and lines on this forum over the years.  Like most new bass anglers, I look through a lot of the threads that have titles such as "Your top must have lures" "Best rod for around $xx" "Best Reel for $xx" with the intention of seeing a few specific types mentioned frequently and then heading into a local tackle shop to get a feel and try and make a decision between the magnitude of options.  

During the off season up here in Canada, I have been upgrading my gear from two very entry level combos, (I'm talking $25 Shimano combos with no instant anti reverse kind of entry level lol) up to some more high quality gear.  Along with this, I have been compiling the necessary often talked about techniques and lures and can't wait to hit the water once the ice melts. 

Now onto my question.  I have two set ups, and I was wondering what you think I should be throwing on each of them. I fish from shore mostly, although on most weekends rent a jon boat with a friend at local small lakes. The water I fish does range from clear to murky, and i encounter various locations that are sometimes weedy, or rocky, lily pads, all sorts of conditions.  I loved using braided line last year, and have purchased both 10#PP and 20#Suffix to add to these two set ups and will experiment with floro leaders as well

6'6 MH Fast BPS Graphite Series Spinning Rod with BPS Viper 3000

7'0 M Fast Fenwick HMG Spinning Rod with Pfleuger President 6930

I'm assuming it's correct to put the 20# on the MH and the 10# on the M.

So when it comes to dropshotting, Texas rigged plastics, weightless senkos, jerkbaits, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, and topwater lures, which combination would be best suited for each technique? This will only be my second season bass fishing, I hope to continue building my collection, but I am curious about what my best bet would be when starting out this year.  I appreciate any and all feedback or opinions, Cabin Fever is hitting me hard lately, only a couple more weeks until the Toronto Sportsmans Show which I'm looking forward to!

20lb on your MH...........and fish the T-rigged plastics, topwaters and spinnerbaits you mentioned on that

10lb on your M.............and fish everything else you listed on that........just my .02

• Like 1

20lb on your MH...........and fish the T-rigged plastics, topwaters and spinnerbaits you mentioned on that

10lb on your M.............and fish everything else you listed on that........just my .02

^^ agree^^

6'6 MH Fast BPS Graphite Series Spinning Rod with BPS Viper 3000

I'm not familiar with the Viper reel. However, 20# line is very heavy line for a spinning reel if it isn't braid. If it's not braid, make sure it's a relatively limp, spinning-friendly line.

Not much else I could add.