Stlbob

Who Carries Daily.....and What Do You Carry...and Why..?

Since my original post in this thread is 4 years old, my carry gun has changed.

The ol' full sized 1911 was good for around the farm, but not so out in the public eye at my new job of a garbage man/truck driver.  

I have retired the 1911 to the safe, and now (and for the last year or so) have been carrying a S&W Shield in 9mm.

Year round it's in an IWB Alien Gear Clock tuck holster. I usually have the flush fit 7rd mag in the gun, and the extended 8rd'er in my left pants/shorts pocket. Very comfortable and light compared to the full 5" 1911's I was used to carrying.

I have tried a few different types of ammo in it, and I shoot best with 147 grain Federal HST's, so that's what I carry in it. It's a bit snappy with that load, but I found it to be quite accurate at 5-10 yards which is all I ask for out of a small CC pistol.

After I bought this Shield, it took me a year or so to start carrying it regularly, it was quite the learning curve to switch and shoot well from single action 1911's, to a striker fired gun. I practiced A LOT with it, and am decent with it now. The biggest improvement I made was after putting a Houge grip sleeve on the gun. I have huge paws, with short fat fingers, and IDK what it was, but putting that grip sleeve on turned my shooting around with that gun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On duty, I carry what my agency provides us with.. All I'll say is it's a Beretta and I hate it.. But you can't change the minds of the Feds, I like my salary so it is what it is.

Off duty, that's different. I either carry one of my 1911's, a Glock 19, Glock 31, or Glock 32... And they're always wrapped in a leather Galco.. Why pay $500-$1500 for a nice piece and carry it in a $20 holster?

• Like 1

If I'm not at work I'm carrying. What depends on how I'm dressed at the time. But it's usually either a 642, Shield or a full sized M&P 2.0. 

My job has a policy of no weapons in the building. But I carry in the truck and nearly always when I’m out with the family. I wanted something that would disappear in a pocket. I carry a Kahr CW380. 

I've considered it, but I go way too many places where it's prohibited - I work for a community college library and I attend a private college full-time, so almost 100% of my day is in places where I'm not allowed to carry.

The thought of getting my license so I can shoulder-holster carry while out fishing has occurred to me, but I haven't acted on it yet.

On 3/28/2018 at 12:59 PM, StratDude said:

On duty, I carry what my agency provides us with.. All I'll say is it's a Beretta and I hate it.. But you can't change the minds of the Feds, I like my salary so it is what it is.

you need to get them to upgrade you to the brigadier version. vertec if given the option...

On 11/12/2018 at 9:42 AM, CybrSlydr said:

I've considered it, but I go way too many places where it's prohibited - I work for a community college library and I attend a private college full-time, so almost 100% of my day is in places where I'm not allowed to carry.

The thought of getting my license so I can shoulder-holster carry while out fishing has occurred to me, but I haven't acted on it yet.

I have the same situation  at work and better concealment is the answer. I went to a sticky holster and 9mm Shield and has not been noticed in 20 yrs. In my early years it was a .380 in a IWB holster. Swore I would never go to a "sticky like" holster, but it's perfect for situations like these. No carry educational institutions  are just to big of a target 

On 3/28/2018 at 12:59 PM, StratDude said:

And they're always wrapped in a leather Galco.. Why pay $500-$1500 for a nice piece and carry it in a $20 holster?

AMEN to that.... I use  Bianchi and Craft IWB holsters.  I found Craft on line and got one for my S&W 586.  It's thick leather and well put together, very much like Bianchi and Galco.

14 hours ago, NHBull said:

I have the same situation  at work and better concealment is the answer. I went to a sticky holster and 9mm Shield and has not been noticed in 20 yrs. In my early years it was a .380 in a IWB holster. Swore I would never go to a "sticky like" holster, but it's perfect for situations like these. No carry educational institutions  are just to big of a target 

Good news is our school recently hired armed security.  Granted, there's only one on campus at a time and they don't work Fridays, but it's better than nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After retiring from the Marine Corps I make it a point to always carry unless of course its a place I'm not supposed to.  To be honest the very few times that I don't I get very disappointed in myself.  Being retired makes it easier because I very seldom do anything that doesn't pertain to fishing or the outdoors.  I do have a part time job at a tackle shop and Marina so no worries there.  I have all types of holsters and weapons but my favorite carry is a Kel-Tec P-3AT .380  it only weighs 8.3 ounces.  I use a neoprene belly holster which works great for concealment and helps out with the post retirement belly Lol... The more comfortable it is to carry regardless of the attire increases the chance that it will be carried regardless of activity.

Anybody had a chance to hold/use the sig p365?

Work plain clothes a lot and as of now I carry a Glock 26. Recently put about 1000 rounds through it in three days without a malfunction. Great concealed carry double stack pistol. I was able to get the 26 issued to me. At one point I owned a Glock 43 but it was stolen one day while at academy lol

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:17 AM, riverbasser said:

Anybody had a chance to hold/use the sig p365?

Haven't held one yet but if its like the other P's sig has I really would like to. The grip angle on the P320 allows me to point the gun with one easy motion. I currently own a 1911 compact made by Armscor out of the Philippines and when I bring the gun up to aim it I have to tilt my wrist up to put the front sight inline with the rear sight. With the Sigs I don't have to tilt my wrist. Its just one fluid motion of bringing the arm up to the target. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gundog said:

Haven't held one yet but if its like the other P's sig has I really would like to. The grip angle on the P320 allows me to point the gun with one easy motion. I currently own a 1911 compact made by Armscor out of the Philippines and when I bring the gun up to aim it I have to tilt my wrist up to put the front sight inline with the rear sight. With the Sigs I don't have to tilt my wrist. Its just one fluid motion of bringing the arm up to the target. 

Good point. The p365 is a sub compact but holds 10 rnds. While others the same size only hold 6 or 7. They also have an optional 12 rnd mag and it allows for a full grip. Really sweet gun with great sights. Academy doesn't let you dry fire so I couldnt test the trigger.

If you cant tell I'm pretty interested in this one

Shield Gen 1 9mm with Federal HST. Pretty stoked to have a Walther PPS M2 arriving tomorrow to try out.

I carry to make sure I can always protect my tater. Also to make sure I can always make it home to her. I respect the men and women of law enforcement but they can't be everywhere at once. I'd rather place my family's and my security on me.spacer.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dupert said:

I usually carry my S&W bodyguard. It is small and light in weight. I can even carry extra mags in pocket.

Check out the neomag. Uses a rare earth magnet and a clip like a pocket knife. Keeps your mags secure and easily accessible. Much faster reloads and better consistency to train with. 

7 hours ago, 928JLH said:

Check out the neomag. Uses a rare earth magnet and a clip like a pocket knife. Keeps your mags secure and easily accessible. Much faster reloads and better consistency to train with. 

I also recommend the neomag. If you ever carry a 9mm get the 9mm size. A 380 will fit in the 9mm without being too lose but a 9mm mag won’t fit the 380 clip.

• Like 1

Shield 9mm, 99% of the time.

Easy to conceal even in the Summer

I usually rotate between 3 carry pistols depending on the situation...

My every day carry gun is a Glock 27. Easy to carry and I just like a .40

I also have an M&P Bodyguard 38. Great revolver for carrying IMO. Hammerless is key

I occasionally carry the good ole LCP but I have the LCPII. Stick it in your pocket and go about your day 

• Like 1

I do. If I'm out and about I usually have a 9mm or 380. If I'm in the woods doing things I usually have my 10mm with me. 

As for why, because you just never know. Hopefully, I will never need it buy I have it if I do.  

• Like 1

M&P Shield 9mm and Vedder Holster

• Like 1