Sign in to follow this  
Mattfrom_NJ

What To Add Next

Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.  Anyway, I just bought a kayak and have been dying to get together gear for some spring time fishing.  After pouring over craigslist, and spending some hard earned cash rewards $$$, here's what I have assembled. Rods: St Croix Mojo Crankbait 7' MHM, St. Croix Primier 6'6" MM glass crankbait, Abu Veritas 6'9" MHF, ***  7' MF spinning. Reels: an Abu Pro Max casting reel, and BPS PQ 5:4;1 reel.  Now I think I might have made a mistake, I just sold the mojo for exactly what I paid for it.  I am not sure whether that was smart but I didn't think I'd need two crankbait rods.  So my question to you all out there is this rod and reel assortment enough to cover the bases for a beginner out there? Should I add something else or upgrade somewhere? Was selling the Mojo over the primier a mistake? I have about $75 in rewards bucks that I have to spend otherwise I risk losing it.  I really want a nice Shimano spinning reel but I'm also not sold on the Pro Max after reading about it.  

Thanks 

I would say you're off to a decent start. I would spend more cash on a setup that you would use for you're favorite technique. Put the 5:4.1 reel on your crank bait rod for sure. 

thanks Dink.  I've always had the best luck with topwater spooks and spinnerbaits.  Crankbaits and plastics are kinda new to me tbh.

He called him dink...I think I just woke my wife sleeping next to me laughing at that one.

Dink is the level poster he is, like yours says fry.  The more you post the larger size fish your level goes to.

Welcome to the forums this really is a great site and thanks for the laugh.

• Like 1

Where do you live?

By adding your location we can give you better advice.

Thanks.

Where do you live?

By adding your location we can give you better advice.

Thanks.

NJ

Since you like topwater, take a look at the Fenwick Smallmouth 6'9" MXF rod.....$99.95 at fishusa.  I was using mine with a 1/2 oz. topwater last year.  This rod should do a good job for bottom contact lures as well should you want to give them a try.

I've been told Fenwick's new HMG is a very light and well built rod with quality components....$99.95 list so you should be able to find them for less.  Carries a 5 year warranty.  I assume you want to spend no more than necessary.  The Smallmouth series are exceptional rods IMO.

As far as keeping 2 crankbait rods goes, it depends on your budget, and how often you throw a crankbait.  My fishing time is limited, so I take several rods set up with different lures, and switch rods whenever possible instead of retying.  Also I wouldn't think that 6'6" MM glass is going to be very good for deep divers.

You won't be fishing for a few more weeks (2 months?) so take your time and research.  Keep an eye on the Flea Market on this site.  Last year I scored 2 custom built rods that were virtually a steal.  The blank alone on the one rod cost more than I paid for the completed rod.  Both are exceptional rods and look brand new.

Do the same for reels.  Also watch for the closeouts that should be coming up soon.  You can ocassionally get last year's model at 50% off.  That is how I got my Curado 51E.  Only wish I had been smart enough to buy 3 of them when I had the opportunity.  I did get 2 new Fuegos at $85 off when TW closed them out.

Lots of info thanks. Those Fenwick rods seem pretty highly regarded on this site so I'll have to check them out.  I just actually got a citica at Dick's for $69 which isn't too bad I don't think.  I wasn't aware there was a buy and sell forum on here so I'll take a look there.  

Thanks again

Looks like a good start to me.

Your spinning rod as your light/weightless and drop shot.  Your MH/F as you Spinnerbait/topwater/probably frogging is possible with that rod and it would be good a jig rod too.  MH/F in general are the best all around rods.  Definitely put the 5.4.1 on the crankbait rod. 

It is up to you really, but I'd probably go for a pitching/flipping stick or a dedicated jig/plastics rod. 

I would say a med-fast casting rod for plastics, medium light for dropshot, or a heavy rod for pitchin.

You could easily use your medium spinning for plastics and get a medium light for dropshot.