Sign in to follow this  
rippin-lips

Transducer Mounting Location

Where I have it mounted now it seems to get a funky on me when I come to a stop at where I want to fish. Should I move it down to the lower portion? There was one at each spot when I bought the boat. I used this location because the holes lined up. Thanks in advance. Unit is a

Lowrance mark 5x pro

image_zps4fff0ddd.jpg

IF you want to get depth readings when the boat is moving faster than a slow idle speed, the bottom of the transducer has to be at the BOTTOM of the hull. It has no water contact when the boat is moving forward at any speed or on plane where it is now.

You should be using a shoot-thru installation with that hull, not a transom mount.

I read recently that it should be on the right of the hull for a right (clockwise) turning prop.

Wayne I'm not as much concerned with higher speeds. Idle is basically what I'm looking for.

I saw that too Dave.

Go ahead and move it down. It's not ideal there, but where it is right now it's getting all sorts of turbulence because of the step.

Go ahead and move it down. It's not ideal there, but where it is right now it's getting all sorts of turbulence because of the step.

So I should move it to where the other bracket is in the picture down by the drain hole? Or just down from where it's at now?

The prop on an outboard has nothing to do with the transducer's performance unless you run the motor in reverse.

The prop rotation would only apply to an inboard type boat.

The closer to the bottom of the hull you have a transom transducer, the faster you can go and still have enough water contact to get a depth reading.

As stated before, you should be using a shoot-thru installation with that hull.

Yeah I understand that. I'll be selling this boat here soon for a newer one. This is just to get me by until then.

So I should move it to where the other bracket is in the picture down by the drain hole? Or just down from where it's at now?

Either should work. You'll want to look at the hull itself though and make sure there's no strakes or anything else that will cause turbulence in the water in line with the transducer. Where the other transducer is would probably be slightly better though.