WHEN IT COMES TO SELLING OR TRADING A ROD, HOW DO YOU GUYS PACKAGE IT UP SO IT DOES NOT GET DAMAGED WHILE BEING SHIPPED?  ESPECIALLY THE ONE PIECE RODS THAT ARE 6' AND LONGER

WHEN IT COMES TO SELLING OR TRADING A ROD, HOW DO YOU GUYS PACKAGE IT UP SO IT DOES NOT GET DAMAGED WHILE BEING SHIPPED?  ESPECIALLY THE ONE PIECE RODS THAT ARE 6' AND LONGER

Inside a PVC tube which you can purchase at the hardware store, just purchase the tube an inch and a half longer than the rod.

No, you can just ship the tube. Be sure that both ends a sealed securely.

I put bubble wrap arounf the tip, reel seat and butt. then a little seperaely

on the top and bottom. This way the rod will not bounce around.

what i do, i keep the tubes i recieve rods in form TW and other online stores, when you go to ship a rod, wrap the rod in plastic, and the top 10" of the rod in bubble wrap or foam to protect it. then place the rod inside the tube and tape the butt section of  the rod (wrapped in plastic) to the pvc tube, that way the rod isnt bouncing around in there. works great and i have not had a rod damaged that way. and just take the tube to the ups store and tell them to label it fragile. usually costs me about $25 to ship a rod through UPS 

thank you much.

i heard that it costs quite a bit for shipping a rod.  so you lose 25-30 right off the bat in the total cost you hope to pocket.

hmmmmmmmm

thank you much.

i heard that it costs quite a bit for shipping a rod.  so you lose 25-30 right off the bat in the total cost you hope to pocket.

hmmmmmmmm

yeah it really sucks...

never take a rod to the p.o. to ship it. go to usps.com and print your own label with ins. pack as stated above and 2-3 lbs. priority will be about 12 bucks or so coast to coast. you can also schedule a pickup and never have to leave the house. they will pick it up right off your front porch. hope this helps.

Shipping a rod is not cheap.  Throw in insurance and it could easily cost you $40-$50 including the cost of buying the tube and caps. 

selling local it is then!!!!

im not liking the shipping charges.  thanks for the info guys.

Costs me $20 to ship a rod. Include the shipping price in the price of the rod. I've never bought a rod tube. Go to your local tackle store and ask if they have any extra rod tubes. I know my boss keeps some in the back in the event he has to send a rod in for warranty. 

I get that but I am contemplating selling my Shimano Crucial, which lists at $150 NEW.  This rod is 3 years old and I wouldnt think I could get any more than $75 for it.  If I add, $20 for shipping in to the cost, I'm at $100.  You can buy NEW for $50 more.

Not seeing how it would help me.  to me it seems it would hurt me more, especially when I am trying to turn the funds around for something else.

so thats what brought this up.........trying to figure costs and what not.

It's always been my opinion that if I am not selling a premium rod ($250-$300+) or selling multiple at one time, then selling rods is not very economic.