roadwarrior

Rod Selection: The Basics

On 5/10/2014 at 5:59 AM, roadwarrior said:

MM = Medium Power/ Moderate Action

What 7' MM  Baitcasting rods do you like? I'm looking to stay under $140. Thx

I fish almost exclusively for smallmouth and rock bass in the streams in the Smoky Mountains with small crank baits and jigs. The fish here are usually on the small side. So, I use ultra lite spinning gear. My favorite rod for these small fish is a vintage Berkley Cherrywood 5 1/2'.

Joe

Like most have said I think 6 rod/reel setups will suit most of everyones needs.  I think you will find that the real issue with getting the proper setup is line preference.  Sometimes I need mono...sometimes fluorocarbon....sometimes braid, it really depends on the situation.  For instance, I have three or 4 texas rigs ret up at all times: 65 lb braid, 20 lb fluoro, 17 lb fluoro, etc.  Yes I could get by with 1 rod rigged with 20lb fluorocarbon but it is not always ideal for each situation.  Maybe you could just have a few reels rigged up with different lines to swap out while on the water, but if you are a tournament fisherman every cast counts and that would surely waste valuable time.

@roadwarrior I’m looking to end up with about 5 setups. I fish in Illinois for largemouth and smallmouth. What would you recommend each be and what would you throw on each?

Thanks!

Has anyone ever used KastKing rods? I’m thinking of picking up a couple of them. I have one of their spinning reels and I like it. I was thinking of getting a couple rods and a baitcaster and spinning. I’m trying to downsize my collection of crappy combos and get nicer but affordable new ones. Thank you!!

9 minutes ago, Rockula said:

Has anyone ever used KastKing rods? I’m thinking of picking up a couple of them. I have one of their spinning reels and I like it. I was thinking of getting a couple rods and a baitcaster and spinning. I’m trying to downsize my collection of crappy combos and get nicer but affordable new ones. Thank you!!

I have the KK twin tip 7' casting rod (M/MH) and 6'7 M/F spinning rod. I like them both, but really like the 6'7 for $42 (sale price). I tried to pair a KK Centron 2000 with the 6'7, but felt the build quality was not great. For a little more money I like Pflueger President spinning reels.

I returned a KK Speed Demon 6'8 Jerkbait casting rod, only because I found the handle length longer than my liking, but the build quality was good, no idea about sensitivity though.

Hey guys,

I am am thinking about purchasing a new casting rod for all-around use. Something under $120. I have minimal knowledge about casting rods, and overwhelmed by all of the choices. Any recommendations? Anyone like Lews Tournament Performance Tp1 Speed Stick? Any suggestions/reviews are appriciated. Thank you.