Sign in to follow this  
Ima Bass Ninja

Is Tacklewarehouse really the best??

I had to find out for myself after reading several posts on here if TW did have the best prices. So i decided to put TW up against 4 BR sponsors. I have ordered from all of the companies i choose to compare TW to(including TW) and have never had a problem with any of them, so for me customer service was the same throughout. The sheet is nothing spectacular but seeing comparisons side by side really helps me out a lot. I compared price on 5 different items including a popular soft bait, hard bait, rod, reel and line. After all was said and done i added up the total cost and added shipping(if there was any) to get my final results.

I must include some things that swayed my decisions while comparing sites. The thing i found out first was that search engines are VERY important. The site i feel had the best search function was Bass Tackle Depot. Everything i typed into their search function came up immediately with no further searching needed. TW was a close second but i still had to do a little manual searching on a couple of items. Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, and American Bass Outlet were all about the same with some manual searching and a few "item not found" coming back from the search (which after a while gets very frustrating).

Another thing i noticed was clearance items section. BPS seemed to have the most items with American Bass Outlet, TW and Bass Tackle Depot having the best deals. Cabela's really didn't seem to stand out when browsing through there bargain bin.

The last thing i will mention is after i had all the numbers in place i decided to put a section for whether or not they were a BR sponsor( obviously TW is the only one not a sponsor). When i saw it on paper, it really hit me how much of a deciding factor it was. I kept asking myself "with all else being equal why would I not choose to use a company that supports a site that i love to be a part of?"

This is in no way meant to bad mouth TW or try and convince anyone that another company is better. I simply did it to satisfy my own curiosity and thought i would share my results and opinions with all of you.

Thanks for reading!!

to each their own...I think the TW is the best hands down! no comparison for me. amazing customer service, incredible selection, and fast shipping (free for most orders).

to each their own...I think the TW is the best hands down! no comparison for me. amazing customer service, incredible selection, and fast shipping (free for most orders).

X2 :P

Roby

Another thing i noticed was clearance items section. BPS seemed to have the most items with American Bass Outlet, TW and Bass Tackle Depot having the best deals. Cabela's really didn't seem to stand out when browsing through there bargain bin.

I disagree. I've got great deals in Cabela's Bargain Bin in the past. One example was a Pflueger Supreme XT for $70 that was normally $130. They were clearing out that model to make room for the newest XT. Also got a tackle bag for a substantial discount.

I agree at times the pickings are slim, you have to browse a few times a week to find the gems when they pop up, then act quickly as the good stuff goes fast.

After dealing with TW, I dont order from anybody else. Great customer service, good price, cheap shipping...what else can you ask for.

I buy too much tackle, not sure if anyone else here has that problem  :P   The main thing for me is selection, that is do they have what I want ? Many of the items found at BPS & Cabela's other than house brand items are found at local tackle shops by my house who I try to support. What I purchase from the likes Bass Tackle Depot & Tackle Whse are a lot of premium items such as Japanese lures & swimbaits that are harder to find at some of these other stores. I look at both as being pretty compararable but I try use BTD more because they are a site sponsor and will go with Tackle Whse if there is something I want that BTD doesn't carry. All of these places have made a nice dent in my wallet.

I have always been a supporter of BPS (mainly because of me living near one)  but I have started to buy more and more from TW and less from BPS. Prices are great and customer service is perfect at TW. They only difference though between TW and BPS is that you can actually go in store at Bass Pro. You can't at *** which is a weekness because it is easier to look around in store.

Just thought I put my 2 cents.

If TW and Bass Tackle Depot are the same but BTD helps make BassResource Free for you, why would you still buy from TW?

Like usual, some suppliers have stuff that others don 't, so it 's a matter of shopping around, there 's stuff I can only find at TW, there 's stuff that I can only find in BTD, there 's stuff that I can only find in BPS, Cabela 's ? normally I don 't shop at Cabela 's , I still check what they have every now and then and I have purchased from them, actually one of the best deals I 've found in recent years was at Cabela 's, that 's from where I got 4 TDZs.

I have bought from all but tackle warehouse.

Upon reading this thread, I went to the tackle warehouse site and now am $120 dollars poorer..... thanks a lot guys. 

The deal were great though.... got a carrot stick for basically $100 dollars off.   

Like usual, some suppliers have stuff that others don 't, so it 's a matter of shopping around, there 's stuff I can only find at TW, there 's stuff that I can only find in BTD, there 's stuff that I can only find in BPS, Cabela 's ? normally I don 't shop at Cabela 's , I still check what they have every now and then and I have purchased from them, actually one of the best deals I 've found in recent years was at Cabela 's, that 's from where I got 4 TDZs.

x2. I go where it gives me the lowest price.

Raul has it right, every place is different so I shop around. I buy and sell a lot on ebay, and have found many awesome deals on ebay. I have a visa card sponsored by BPS so I spend my points there, and have bought from Cabela's and TW as well as BTD and many others. I have a family so my money is better off with me than a tackle company so I shop around.

I have bought from all but tackle warehouse.

Upon reading this thread, I went to the tackle warehouse site and now am $120 dollars poorer..... thanks a lot guys.

The deal were great though.... got a carrot stick for basically $100 dollars off.

;D That store will bankrupt your bank account.

Raul nailed it...every store is different. TW and BTD are among my favorite stores to browse around in though. Those two are usually the first I buy from.

For me, it's a matter of what they have in their inventory. BTD and TW have LESS stuff than BPS but it's all GOOD stuff. Most of the stuff at BPS is garbage.

Between TW and BTD, it comes down to the website for me. TW's website is better.

X2 :P

Roby

X3

For me, it's a matter of what they have in their inventory. BTD and TW have LESS stuff than BPS but it's all GOOD stuff. Most of the stuff at BPS is garbage.

Between TW and BTD, it comes down to the website for me. TW's website is better.

TW's website is definitely easier to surf around. Nothing against BTD, but they need to re-do the site. And you can't beat 5 dollars for 2 days shipping, where BTD charges anywhere between 20 to 28 bucks.

x2. I go where it gives me the lowest price.

X3 !!!!!!!!!!!!

Living 15-20 minutes form BPS, I tend to buy most of my lures there. There's no reason for me to order Rapala cranks or Berkley soft plastics online and wait 4 days to get them when I can pick them up in person.

I buy most of my reels on Ebay, though. I haven't found an online or brick-and-mortar store that can beat the prices.

I usually buy at least one batch of lures from TW a year, but that's about it. I have so much stuff already that I rarely need enough to break the $50 mark on an order, and I really hate paying for shipping.

It can be the best at certain times, but not all the time.

Great responses guys and like soccplayer stated to start us off "to each his own".. but a lot of the reasons most of you give IMO is matched or beaten by sponsors of this site. If you go for price then ABO is your place to go. Customer service will always be a matter of opinion. Fast shipping, cant get any faster than walking in a store and buying it (plus no shipping charges, even on a $3 item).And that was the whole reason i wanted to do a sheet like this. So I could choose based not on word of mouth, but actually see side by side comparison of different companies and choose the best one for me.

Fluke nailed it on the head with his statement . That is the same conclusion that I drew from my comparison sheet when all was said and done. TW is a great company ,no doubt, but on paper and in my personal experience they are no better than those that sponsor this site. In essence the BR sponsor column was my "kicker fish". :P;) Just somethin to think about.

TW will meet/match any advertised price on the internet, provided A: They can verify it (will do that online while U wait); and B: the place doing the advertising has the product in stock.  I spent a lot with TW this year, including a Fortrex TM, several rods, reels, and other odds and ends.  Free shipping, and I get out of the almost 10% sales tax I'd have to pay around here for the same articles.

As for Cabelas, I love their outdoor clothing, but the last time I was going to order from them it was for a spool of Yellow PowerPro as I couldn't find it around here, and TW is rather blase' about colored lines.  Was set to submit the order when I saw that shipping was $14 for one spool of line :P .  I'll go without.

I wasn't aware of Tackle Warehouse until about a month ago from rave reveiws on this site. They have a great website and I will without a doubt be ordering from there from now on instead of BPS. I have always ordered online from BPS because local bait shops around here don't have decent selections of anything that has to do with bass fishing. I have always thought they were a tad overpriced and the shipping is ridiculous IMO. Although they do have a good selection.

I like both TW and BTD. If you call TW they will price match so their price is always going to be at least tied with the other stores so your price sheet is incorrect. They also do have a walk in store. BTD also has a store and I think they will price match if you call. Soo the deciding factor would be selection and personal opinion such as being a sponsor.

TW may have price match but i quoted the prices as listed, which is what most consumers are going to pay. Also note that i put walk in stores(plural) meaning they have a national chain that the majority of people can visit pretty quickly. :P