Sign in to follow this  
Felix77

Feeling The Bottom Finesse Tube Fishing

1/8oz is pretty light, especially running it on braid, you know power pro floats Felix. I only run braid when I drag tubes in deep water and want no stretch at all when I set the hook from 30 fow.

I'll throw an 1/8oz tube jig late in the summer when the river is less than 5 feet deep and I DON'T want it touch the bottom much, just barely slip and bump over it in the current. I can still feel the bottom though.

I'll throw a 3/16oz when I want to feel contact with bottom, it's not so much weight you lose them every time. You will lose a pile of them though, get used to that. Get some 3/16 or 1/4oz heads and start there.

I fish the gizzit as well in the brown root beer color, but I'd definitely recommend the 1/4 oz. I fish it down to 30 ft and have had good success on summer smallies, or even as they're staging during pre-spawn. I don't like the flat gizzit jig heads mainly because the hook itself is pretty weak. Standard tube heads seem to spiral down alright for me.

If you push the eye of the jig head further back through the plastic, closer to the tail, you'll get a wider spiral. Closet to the front of the bait produces a tighter spiral typically.

• Like 1

The action of the spiral is dictated by where the line tie comes through the tube.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input.  Looks like I have some more exploring to do.