rippin-lips

Lexa Bearing Install

Nice instructional, Adam. Question, does one need the pin removal tool, or can I remove it with a set of regular pliers?

I'm interested in upgrading my Lexa one of these days, too...

Nice instructional, Adam. Question, does one need the pin removal tool, or can I remove it with a set of regular pliers?

I'm interested in upgrading my Lexa one of these days, too...

Thank you sir.

The tool is a huge help. You can make one using a set of pliers but it could bend the spool pin. Been there done that so I decided to purchase the tool. See if you can maybe push it out first using something. I know the one in this reel doesn't take much to move.

Thank you sir.

The tool is a huge help. You can make one using a set of pliers but it could bend the spool pin. Been there done that so I decided to purchase the tool. See if you can maybe push it out first using something. I know the one in this reel doesn't take much to move.

Thanks. When I get around to buying some bearing upgrades, I'll do that.

Another question, if you don't mind, do you have to readjust your brakes (tighten them up) to compensate for the additional spin? Or is the existing spin just smoother and better?

Thanks. When I get around to buying some bearing upgrades, I'll do that.

Another question, if you don't mind, do you have to readjust your brakes (tighten them up) to compensate for the additional spin? Or is the existing spin just smoother and better?

I run my brakes at the same setting. There's arguments on what a bearing upgrade will do for you. For me, I notice I can cast the same distance with a little less effort on my normal baits. On my other reel that I use to flip/pitch with is where they shine for me. To be honest I just like to tinker with stuff and I'm a motorhead so the idea of upgrading something appeals to me. The lexa has some low quality factory bearings. I think an abec 5 upgrade would be the best bet.

nice video, I was thinking about putting some hawgtech bearing in mine I just was not sure how much different the reel would feel with only the mag force breaking system... I would think a reel with the mag-z or 3D would benefit more from an upgrade...

Mitch

nice video, I was thinking about putting some hawgtech bearing in mine I just was not sure how much different the reel would feel with only the mag force breaking system... I would think a reel with the mag-z or 3D would benefit more from an upgrade...

Mitch

I'd think the opposite. MagZ and Mag3d are dynamic systems with moving inductors. The braking system itself doesn't fully engage until a certain speed, so they're going to reach potential on nearly every cast. The brakes may actually hinder an upgrade by slowing down too soon. On Magforce, the brakes are always on. The freer your bearings can spin against the brakes, you'd think you'd get more distance.

The easy of casting and resulting improved accuracy is the biggest practical advantage to increased free-spool. Either invest in a pair of spool pin pliers or have the reel serviced and bearings installed then. It's too easy to damage a spool without the right tools.

The easy of casting and resulting improved accuracy is the biggest practical advantage to increased free-spool. Either invest in a pair of spool pin pliers or have the reel serviced and bearings installed then. It's too easy to damage a spool without the right tools.

This is true of reels with floating spools. The Lexa, new Exceler, Tatula, etc. do not have a bearing on the spool shaft, so pliers aren't necessary. I do agree that anyone that's interested in tuning reels needs a good spool pin tool (pliers, or hedgehog pin pusher); a good set of precision drivers is very helpful too.

While I also recommend the pin tool, I've also bent a pin with the tool. There's not much you can do about it if the pin is tight.

I'd think the opposite. MagZ and Mag3d are dynamic systems with moving inductors. The braking system itself doesn't fully engage until a certain speed, so they're going to reach potential on nearly every cast. The brakes may actually hinder an upgrade by slowing down too soon. On Magforce, the brakes are always on. The freer your bearings can spin against the brakes, you'd think you'd get more distance.

The only problem with this is to avoid backlashing early in the cast you will have to have the Mag breaks set pretty high, then as the reel slows down the breaks are still high killing the distance. With the mag-z and 3D you would get a lot of breaks early in the cast to avoid backlashing then as the spool slows down the breaks reduce to a minimum and extend the length of the cast. Who know the difference between the two might just be a couple feet. I would think the biggest benefit would be with lighter lures keeping their momentum longer...

Mitch