Jay Ell Gee

How Do You Determine Leader Size For Braid?

Just wanted to stop by and ask...

Is there a general accepted rule as to what lb test fluorocarbon leader you use with your braid?

As an example, I have braid on a few reels... 50lb, 40 lb, and 20 lb. I have never tried fluorocarbon as a straight line, but I am wanting to start using it as leaders in certain situations.

Would something like a spool of 20lb and 12/14 lb get me by?

The 20 lb test is typically for texas rigs and light inshore use, whereas the 40 lb is used for light pitching/heavy t-rigs, and the 50 lb is used for frogging. I will probably stay straight braid with frogs, but for other instances (flipping/pitching), I would like to start employing leaders on these setups.

I will be using the XPS Fluoro, as I get a significant discount on it

St. Croix Legend Xtreme 6'10 M/XF rod with 20lb Super Slick. (Baitcast) Used for flukes, Texas rigs, small swim jigs, and light inshore duty.

Carrot Stik 7'0 MH/F with 40 lb Suffix 832. (Baitcast) Used for heavy t-rigs, flipping/pitching, larger swim jigs and big paddle tails.

Powell Diesel 7'2 MH/XF with 50lb Super Slick. (baitcast) Used for frogs and heavy duty flipping/pitching.

The only toothy critters I worry about encountering are bowfin and alligators. :P

Thanks in advance everyone.

It depends on what application you are using and what kind of toothy critters inhabit the waters you fish. a general rule of thumb is use as light of line as you can, as it will give you maximum action on your lures. up here in MN with the pike and muskie I typically use a 20-30 lb leader on my moving baits that are more likely to get hit by the toothed fish, and anywhere from 6-12 lb leaders for other finesse presentations ( dropshot, shakeyhead, weightless...) I dont use leaders when doing bottom contact like jigs and t-rigs as i use either straight floro or a hybrid, so maybe someone else can help you out there...

Mitch

I keep it pretty simple, open water bass fishing I use 10# braid and 10# leader, heavy vegetation it's 15# braid and 20# leader.

Saltwater I double the line:

10 braid = 20 leader

15  "          30    "

20  "          40    "

I never use steel when targeting toothy fish, I should with some species but I don't.  Last mullet run I lost about 20+ lures in a few weeks from cutoffs, but I caught a lot of fish too, it was worth it.

I'm using #20 Tatsu.

I'm using #20 Tatsu.

I understand why you answer how you do Mr. Kent, but I'm looking for lb test recommendation, not brand. Thanks!

Then 20# whatever you like. The advantage of this particular strength is that it is

virtually unbrakable by freshwater fish unless it is nicked. On the otherhand, it

cn still be broken if you need to break off. This is a HUGE issue for me on the

Tennessee River. Retrivel is not always possible in current and wind, so break

off or lose all your line.

I let the rod and application dictate leader size. I have 50lb braid on my heavier rigs and 30lb braid on my lighter rigs. I will tie up to 25lb flouro on the 50lb and up to 17 on the 30lb. Based on the application Im using it for.

• Like 1

I let the rod and application dictate leader size. I have 50lb braid on my heavier rigs and 30lb braid on my lighter rigs. I will tie up to 25lb flouro on the 50lb and up to 17 on the 30lb. Based on the application Im using it for.

What do you consider light vs heavy rigs? 3/8 oz? 1/2 oz?

I very rarely flip jigs over 1/2 oz. I have been known to do some light punching, but it is very rare that I do so. 1 oz max. I'll check the rod recommendations. Thanks.

Tastu is on sale right now, ill check it out. I was just hoping to try the one I get a huge discount on first. The good thing is ill only be using it with leaders, so that Tatsu will last a while.

I'm in the same boat, being a river fisherman. Sometimes, breaking off is the only choice. I fish from my kayak a bit as well, so the leverage to break off is even harder to gain.

What do you consider light vs heavy rigs? 3/8 oz? 1/2 oz?

I actually meant rigs as in set ups. My heavier set ups get 50lb, lighter setups 30. Sorry for the confusion.

Perhaps it would help if you thought of it this way:

Since there is very little chance you'll part you're braid main line, in each situation, consider what pound test line you'd use if you were not using a braid main line. 

Then just use that for your leader.

A-Jay

• Like 1

Since there is very little chance you'll part you're braid main line, in each situation, consider what pound test line you'd use if you were not using a braid main line.

A-Jay

Sounds simple enough. Thanks A-Jay. I was just wondering if there was some hard and fast rule.

Pulling stumps?

Sorry....only thing I'd use 65 for is frogs, and I would probably tie direct

My personal rule of thumb is to try and match line diameters with in reason.

On 3/5/2014 at 8:22 PM, A-Jay said:

Since there is very little chance you'll part you're braid main line, in each situation, consider what pound test line you'd use if you were not using a braid main line. 

A-Jay

^This

• Like 1