Jump to content
DaveT63

Vmc Vs Owner Hooks

Recommended Posts

I have a plano 3771 full of hooks. I can say that I have Owners, VMC, Mustad, Gamakatsu, and Trokar. I have no idea which hooks are which anymore, but I have confidence in all of them.

 

Well, since I have a similar collection, I'll suggest that you add Daiichi XPoint to yours!

 

http://www.ttiblakemore.com/home/vm?page=shop.browse&category_id=6&TreeId=72

 

I have never sent hooks back, but note the Double Back Guarantee.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vmc vs Owner...that would be like Steve Urkel stepping into the ring with Gennady Golovkin. Owner KOs Vmc in the first round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Academy sells the owner cps centering pins in the store. You can slap them on whatever hook you want and they’re basically the same thing as hitchhikers. Just don’t get as many in a pack. Saves you from having to order online tho. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Harold Scoggins said:

Vmc vs Owner...that would be like Steve Urkel stepping into the ring with Gennady Golovkin. Owner KOs Vmc in the first round.

I don't know, saw Urkel working out with Canelo...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Old 4+ year old thread with the same outcome.

Tom

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know, I use them all. I, personally, go with gamakatsu most often because they’re almost always available. VMC small trebles are great, though. I don’t think I ever had a problem with a decent brand hook. I have had problems with line, leaders, rods, reels and myself, but as long as the hook didn’t bend or get the tip flattened Owner, VMC, Gamakatsu have all worked for me. I always think hook failures and problems come from bootleg hooks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like owner, but in ewg super line I use fusion19, Eagle claw heavy wire ewg, or X-point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2018 at 5:56 PM, WRB said:

Old 4+ year old thread with the same outcome.

Tom

Yep still would choose VMC fastgrip WG hooks for my fat ikas over any owner hook. If both on sale for a buck a pack Im grabbing the VMC's.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, QUAKEnSHAKE said:

Yep still would choose VMC fastgrip WG hooks

Agreed.  In my experience the VMC fastgrips penetrate well and hold well.  I thought the point was gimmicky but it sure works great for me.  Would never hesitate to recommend or pick up VMC fastgrips for myself.  

 

I like Owner and other hooks too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that long ago every plug (crankbait) sold came with Mustad or Eagle Claw hooks, VMC replaced both mfr's the last 25 years. VMC is the largest treble mfr, now owned by Pure Fishing. What I am saying if you use a crankbait you use VMC hooks unless you change them.

Gamakatsu and Owner started with worm hooks about 30 years ago and have become leaders in the worm hook business, Mustad has tried to regain lost market and Eagle Claw rebranded under Tokar brand. Owner is more popular then Gamakatsu with replacement premium treble hooks and Tokar is making some headway. Mustad has become a lower price hook to appeal to that market and they make good hooks.

VMC vs Owner, is all about price and should be VMC vs Mustad to compare apples to apples and I would choose Mustad over VMC. Owner over Gamakatsu, but that comes down to hook variety to choose from and use both.

My 2 cents to this old thread.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:56 PM, WRB said:

Old 4+ year old thread with the same outcome.

Hey, cut me some slack, I'm playing catch up. :stupid:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, WRB said:

Not that long ago every plug (crankbait) sold came with Mustad or Eagle Claw hooks, VMC replaced both mfr's the last 25 years. VMC is the largest treble mfr, now owned by Pure Fishing. What I am saying if you use a crankbait you use VMC hooks unless you change them.

Gamakatsu and Owner started with worm hooks about 30 years ago and have become leaders in the worm hook business, Mustad has tried to regain lost market and Eagle Claw rebranded under Tokar brand. Owner is more popular then Gamakatsu with replacement premium treble hooks and Tokar is making some headway. Mustad has become a lower price hook to appeal to that market and they make good hooks.

VMC vs Owner, is all about price and should be VMC vs Mustad to compare apples to apples and I would choose Mustad over VMC. Owner over Gamakatsu, but that comes down to hook variety to choose from and use both.

My 2 cents to this old thread.

Tom

Dont really care who the leader is who is the most popular what the hooks cost. I care about the results I personally get and in my experience VMC catch fish miss less strikes than the owners I have tried. I also choose Gamakatsu Deepthroat over any owner for same reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×