Sign in to follow this  
airborne_angler

Which came first?

Javallon From Japan:

http://www.bassfishingplanet.com/immagini-prodotti/big/soft-baits-soft-swimbaits-imakatsu-javallon-200_1134_2379.jpg

Live Magic Shad From Lake Fork Tackle:

http://www.basstackledepot.com/basstackle/lft/Live-Magic-Shad-Tilapia.jpg

I know one is a knock off of the other...Which one is the "original?"

Think about it, man. Japanese anglers were probably using those 5 years ago.

What's the difference which is the "Original"

Which one works is what matters.

Also, are the Japanese ones readily available?

And what do they cost?

The Javallon came first, a couple of years before the Live Magic Shad.

To answer CWB questions:

There is a difference, there are days the Javallon simply works best, but not everything is honky dory with the Javallon.

Which one works is what matters

Both work, as I said, there are days the Javallon is best.

In the domestic market ----> no, they are not readily available, in the japanese market ( and there are a lot of reputable japanese tackle retailers and e-bay sellers ) where you can get them.

And what do thye cost?

Three times more than the comparable size Live Magic Shad and add about $6.00 shipping.

So which one ?

Here is a matter of comparison just as the classic senko vs copy comparison, I can tell because I have both:

Javallons have a livelier action than the LMS because they are softer

Javallons have a 1 fish per bait durability ....... in case you actually catch a fish with one, out of a pack of five I lost 3 because they tore to pieces.

Javallons are only available from JDM retailers, LMS are available practically everywhere

Javallons are more expensive, not only the bait cost more but the shipping boosts the price badly.

For your money go straight for the Live Magic Shad, as I said, I have the Javallon and let me tell you, I have to think it for a while before I pull one out of the pack, with the Live Magic Shad I have no objection.

The Javallon came first, a couple of years before the Live Magic Shad.

To answer CWB questions:

There is a difference, there are days the Javallon simply works best, but not everything is honky dory with the Javallon.

Which one works is what matters

Both work, as I said, there are days the Javallon is best.

In the domestic market ----> no, they are not readily available, in the japanese market ( and there are a lot of reputable japanese tackle retailers and e-bay sellers ) where you can get them.

And what do thye cost?

Three times more than the comparable size Live Magic Shad and add about $6.00 shipping.

So which one ?

Here is a matter of comparison just as the classic senko vs copy comparison, I can tell because I have both:

Javallons have a livelier action than the LMS because they are softer

Javallons have a 1 fish per bait durability ....... in case you actually catch a fish with one, out of a pack of five I lost 3 because they tore to pieces.

Javallons are only available from JDM retailers, LMS are available practically everywhere

Javallons are more expensive, not only the bait cost more but the shipping boosts the price badly.

For your money go straight for the Live Magic Shad, as I said, I have the Javallon and let me tell you, I have to think it for a while before I pull one out of the pack, with the Live Magic Shad I have no objection.

Here is the story I was told on this. LFT had the bait designed years before they brought it out, it some how got leaked, and Javalon came out with theirs shortly thereafter. I was told this from a pretty reliable source, but anyone can believe what they want.

Well, here 's how I see it, doesn 't matter who had the idea first, the Javallon appeared first, the actual idea is one thing however, if you see both baits side by side you can 't distinguish them, both are identical in shape and even to the smallest detail, so unless the guy who in theory "leaked" the idea also provided Imakatsu with a mold it 's hard to believe the story of the supposed leakeage, as I said, both baits look like if the came out of the same mold, same applies to another bait like the Java Stick/ LFT Hyper Finesse Worm, it 's in practical terms the same bait.The way you can differentiate one from the other is by holding them, Javallons are extremely soft.

So, for us, who cares who had the idea first, it 's not going to change the facts:

Javallons have a livelier action

Javallons cost three times more

Javallons are not readily available in the US

Javallons are a lot more fragile

Both work well and like with many other lures, there are days the "original" ( Javallon ) works better, just as there are days GYCB Senkos work better than all the other copies.

BTW, I forgot to mention, if you happen to purchase either one, don 't remove them from the package until you are ready to fish them ! , it 's one of those baits that have to be in their original package, if they kink/bend they won 't work properly, something specially important when you fish them T rigged weightless.

Well, here 's how I see it, doesn 't matter who had the idea first, the Javallon appeared first, the actual idea is one thing however, if you see both baits side by side you can 't distinguish them, both are identical in shape and even to the smallest detail, so unless the guy who in theory "leaked" the idea also provided Imakatsu with a mold it 's hard to believe the story of the supposed leakeage, as I said, both baits look like if the came out of the same mold, same applies to another bait like the Java Stick/ LFT Hyper Finesse Worm, it 's in practical terms the same bait.The way you can differentiate one from the other is by holding them, Javallons are extremely soft.

So, for us, who cares who had the idea first, it 's not going to change the facts:

Javallons have a livelier action

Javallons cost three times more

Javallons are not readily available in the US

Javallons are a lot more fragile

Both work well and like with many other lures, there are days the "original" ( Javallon ) works better, just as there are days GYCB Senkos work better than all the other copies.

They wouldn't need a mold, all they would need is a prototype and they could make their own mold.

I think you validated all my points Raul.

I would not worry which one is the original but which one worked for me at a price I can afford and is available. If as you say the "original" lasts maybe 1 fish and cost 3 times more and are harder to locate- it sounds like a no-brainer. My point was not that there is no difference in the 2 baits but to me it would not matter which was the "original" but which was the better overall choice.

Good review as always.

Now that we are taliking about the Javallon/LFT LMS, my recommendation on sizes/rigs is:

3.5" .- Rig it on a light jighead or on a Scronuger head, it 's 3.5 inches inlength but the head is pretty darn small, it can barely take a 1/0 EWG hook and forget about trying to swim it T rigg weightless, it doesn 't swim well and tends to roll a lot. Does work well d-shotted but it 's still a friggin ' dink magnet.

4.5".- You can rig it pretty much the way you want, it can take a 3/0 EWG hook and swims so so T-rig weightless, does have a tendency to roll.

5.5" and 8" .- now we 're talking about bait that swim really well for T rigged weightless, these do have that very nice lifelike swimming action.

Now speaking about the Javallon, let me tell you how fragile it is, when I firts got them I rigged the bait with a 3/0 hook but I didn 't hook it perfectly, so I pulled the hook to rig it perfectl and it tore ! >:), then I pulled out another one, this time I rigged it perfectly, made a cast, the line caught the bait and tangled when I reeled in ....WTH ? the line sliced the darn tail away ! >:(, ok, so I pulled out another one, rigged it perfectly, cast it and caught a fish .... and the bai ? well, I 'm still trying to find it in the bottom of the lake :(. To make the story short, it was a pretty expensive break in cuz in less than an hour I went through a blister. >:(

So now you know why I say that I have to think it over really well before pulling out a Javallon.

I like the smaller size on the back of a sworming hornet, Roadwarrior was singing the praises of this combo a couple of years back and it's the real deal. I really appreciate Raul's informative comparison of the 2 baits.