bclark7b

Any Luck In Upstate Ny?

Thanks J. Fair Haven is actually east of Port Bay, and typically I head east out of Fair Haven toward Oswego. Sometimes I fish the bluffs between FH and Port Bay but I always find myself wanting to go east. There is some nice areas out of Port Bay though. Not sure if the lake will be cooperative by the weekend with the wind we've been having but I'm itching to get out there. 

• Like 1

Shoot, meant to say a little WEST of you.  I've fished many a tournament on FH.  Even got DQ'd once for running over to the "Pond" which I didn't realize was off limits.

Another day, another tournament on Silver, and my 3rd straight 2nd place finish there this year with my second straight 20lb bag.....20.86lb to be exact. A guy could get used to this....at the very least I am enjoying it.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, ww2farmer said:

Another day, another tournament on Silver, and my 3rd straight 2nd place finish there this year with my second straight 20lb bag.....20.86lb to be exact. A guy could get used to this....at the very least I am enjoying it.

I hope you're not losing to the same guy every time? Lol. Seems like things over your way are pretty on right now.... Or Maybe its just you knowing that lake like the back of your hand... Maybe I need to head west this weekend.

13 minutes ago, bclark7b said:

I hope you're not losing to the same guy every time? Lol. Seems like things over your way are pretty on right now.... Or Maybe its just you knowing that lake like the back of your hand... Maybe I need to head west this weekend.

No...it's been 3 different guys each time. This lake is "on" because it seems like everyone is catching 13-15lbs with ease. 25 boats on Saturday and 17 +18lbs was not cashing. 14 boats today, and 16- 17lbs did not cash. And this is only an 800 acre "pond"

It's been "easy" tournament fishing for me lately, I can catch a 15-16lb limit in an hour in the AM, and then go hog hunting all day. And for the last few tournaments it's been working out. I am sacrificing numbers after the first hour or so, but it's been worth it. It's kinda been hard to put whatever is working on 2-3lb fish down, and pick something up that might only get half a dozen more bites the next 6+ hours, but that's what I have been doing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ww2farmer said:

No...it's been 3 different guys each time. This lake is "on" because it seems like everyone is catching 13-15lbs with ease. 25 boats on Saturday and 17 +18lbs was not cashing. 14 boats today, and 16- 17lbs did not cash. And this is only an 800 acre "pond"

I'd say it's high time for you to win. Well even a noob like me may just be able to catch a few then. I'll be there saturday all day. There aren't any tournaments this Saturday out there is there?

Just now, bclark7b said:

I'd say it's high time for you to win. Well even a noob like me may just be able to catch a few then. I'll be there saturday all day. There aren't any tournaments this Saturday out there is there?

I don't know...there's not one I am fishing in, or running. A private club might have a small one out there, but usually they are not much to worry about.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, J Francho said:

Shoot, meant to say a little WEST of you.  I've fished many a tournament on FH.  Even got DQ'd once for running over to the "Pond" which I didn't realize was off limits.

lol thats a bummer, I've actually never fished the pond but have always been curious. I'm too chicken to bring my boat into there. 

It's not worth it, mostly pike.  The boat we took in there was a 18' Gambler that drafted very shallow.  It's 2-3' deep

• Thanks 1

I've heard a couple tales of guys killing it back there frogging, but I always had my doubts. J, have you put any time into fishing Blind Sodus Bay? As of last year during all the high water, the bay has been breached since then on the north west shore but I haven't gone back there at all this year. The few times I've fished it didn't pay off too well. 

Haven't been over there in years, but Port Bay had a washed out spot, and te bit on that adjacent ledge and flat has declined.

I had limited time to fish Silver this AM, I was on my way to work at 7am when the boss called and said to scratch it, the job we had planned was called off. So I turned around and hit the lake for about 4 hours. I had to be off at noon as I had family activities planned for the afternoon.

I forgot bclark7b was going to be out there, so like any good host, I looked for stuff to put him on. It wasn't easy. The super hot bites I had been on the last few weeks seemed to be off this morning. I did manage to put a 5-7, a 4-9, a 3-11, and a pair of 2.5lbers in the boat while in search mode for something that was working and I could recommend for Ben to try. But I had to go before I got the puzzle  glued together for the day. Hopefully they turned on for him in the afternoon, or he found something that was working for him.

• Like 1

I fished silver from 6am-5pm with an 30min lunch break. Caught 2 bass about 5 minutes apart around 8 o'clock. One three pounder and a two pounder. Then I just grinded all day. It was pretty windy which made it tough so I went to lunch thinking the wind would die down a little when I came back out. It was worse when I came back out and just kept getting windier. I was basically stuck fishing the north west end of the lake after lunch because of the wind. Only caught one bass and a rock bass after lunch. All day I had 4 bass 2 rock bass and a pike. 

I will be hitting Silver Lake for the first time in almost two years tomorrow. This will be my first actual fishing trip of the year so I'm looking forward to it. I've been on the river twice so far but always taking kids out so I didn't really fish. Silver has been tough on me in the past but it's also given three of my top five biggest largemouth so I keep coming back. Hopefully I can at least find some pike, I would be very pleased with that. I plan to be out from sunup till close to sundown or whenever I get bored. If anybody's out tomorrow give a holler, I'll be in the bow of a blue and white Bayliner capri. 

Silver wasn't on fire yesterday, at least compared to what it's been, but it wasn't terrible either.

I fished from 6am-4pm, and caught 20 bass. The average size went down from the last few weeks where 3-3.5lbers were jumping in the boat, to around 2.25lbs. Big fish were not real active for me yesterday, biggest was only a 4lber, and I only caught the one said 4lber, and only a handfull over 3lbs. Junk fishing was the name of the game again. I caught them doing a little of everything, with nothing seemingly too productive for more than a fish or two. Timing was once again critical, I caught most of my fish in two little spurts. One from 9:30-11am, and the other from 2:30-4pm. Out side of those two spells, I probably only caught half a dozen fish, and they were mostly 2lbers. I had one little frustrating episode where for 45 mins just before the afternoon bite turned on where I lost 6 decent fish in a row.....all on stuff that usually gets eaten well. I don't know what was going on, because all of a sudden it stopped and I started getting them in the boat. Thankfully it happened during a fun fishing outing and not on tournament day, or else I might have come unglued and got spun out.

Port bay was pretty good on Saturday.  Around 25 LM, 1 SM, and two northerns.  Most were caught before 9 AM.  Was out of there by 11 AM, when all the jet skiers and pleasure boaters wake up.

• Like 1

Definitely not on fire today either. Still waiting for the switch to flip. 

Switched finally flipped around 3:00 but didn't last long. Their lockjaw finally quit for about an hour but then came right back. I think I'll give Silver a break and concentrate on lakes where the fish eat for more than 45 minutes a day. That place has sent me home with my tail between my legs too many times. It's too bad, it's such a nice lake and it's half the drive of some of the other lakes I go to. 

On 7/30/2018 at 8:08 AM, J Francho said:

Port bay was pretty good on Saturday.  Around 25 LM, 1 SM, and two northerns.  Most were caught before 9 AM.  Was out of there by 11 AM, when all the jet skiers and pleasure boaters wake up.

I was on Fair Haven Saturday 6am til 11am or so and it was the total opposite. One of my slowest mornings of the season actually. A few smallies at the north end but nothing too special. Most caught fishing very slow and finessey. J, if you're ever on Fair Haven on the weekends and see a black Lund w/ silver Honda outboard that's me, feel free to say hey. 

• Like 1

At least you got a few smallies.  I got one  16" on a Bandit Rackit.  It was actually a funny catch.  Fish slammed the bait, and start reeling, except there's no resistance.  I thought maybe a northern bit me off.  Next thing, the smallmouth launched right at me, three feet out of the water, with that Bandit in it's mouth.  I finally caught up to it, reel set it.  Thing was nuts, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Amazing how crazy those smallies get when they are hanging out in the bays. They are a good fight either way but for some reason it seems like they get more wild in the bay, and more willing to hit different baits that I don't get them on in the lake. 

I was planning on sitting this weekend out and staying home to get other stuff done, but now the lake forecast is looking pretty decent for Saturday. 

• Like 1

I fished the 3 fish limit, 3 hour, evening tournament on Conesus this past Tuesday night....and it was just terrible. I fished with a good friend of mine who has been doing great over there. He won my single angle tournament a couple weeks ago with 21lbs, won his club tournament that same weekend, and won the Tuesday evening league championship/classic last weekend. Plus, him and I have cashed/won many tournaments together over the years.

Tuesday night..................we each caught a 2.5lber and that was it. 8lbs cashed...so not an on fire night for that place.

That lake is just kicking my butt this year. I am usually very competitive, and have finished in the money many many times on it, and even have a win. All in opens, and often against some of the real hot shots on that lake. This year I am just struggling to get bit.

My good old back yard...Silver...however, is playing nice this year. Thursday night was back to being on fire. I caught a lot of fish. With one over 5, and a couple over 4. 

Go figure...it seems like these lakes have switched bodies this year.

On 8/3/2018 at 7:18 PM, ww2farmer said:

My good old back yard...Silver...however, is playing nice this year. Thursday night was back to being on fire. I caught a lot of fish. With one over 5, and a couple over 4. 

Ugh! 😣😣😣

I continue to drive the struggle bus on Conesus.

Fished this past Sunday there from 6:30am-1pm, caught 8. Nothing to get excited about. Biggest was about 3lbs, and the best five went 13lbs or so. Pulled out disgusted, and went home to Silver. I fished there from 4pm-dark.......also only caught 8, so it wasn't on fire either, but size was much much better, with a 5-3, and 4-1 as the highlights of the evening.

Then yesterday I HAD to go to Conesus for my weekday solo angler tournament. Unlike Sunday, I caught a lot of fish. But size is still escaping me there this year. I came in with 14.11lb....good enough for 5th, and good enough to maintain, and grow my AOY lead in the race to 9+ lbs over 2nd. The lake was not kicking out big fish, the winner had 18, 2nd had 16, and 3rd had 15. NO 5lber came in, and only 2 or 3 over 4lb were caught.....by a field of really good fisherman on that lake. 2 of the other 3 guys at the top of my AOY standing turned in terrible days as well, with one guy just clipping me for 4th with 14.33lbs, and the other guy, my team event partner Rick, who's won 4-5 tournaments on Conesus this year, posting up an 11lb bag...yeah....Conesus is "off" this year.

I did make one strategic error yesterday. I have struggled so badly this year there fishing the usually good areas north of the launch ramp (which sits about smack dab in the middle of the lake), that I decided to fish some areas I like south of the ramp. I had my weight by 8:30 am from my south areas, but like a bone head, I pulled up shop, went north looking for big bites, and caught dinks and non-helping fish the rest of the day. I should have ground it out in the south all day. 

I have a team tournament there this Sunday...I am not excited.

At least it wasn't raining on you!  LOL!  Get any muskie follows?  I need one of those this year.