bclark7b

Any Luck In Upstate Ny?

Managed this hangry girl today. 5475696C-AB05-4347-A187-2960105F32E1_zps

• Like 6

Whoa...it's been a while since my last report...let's see if I can remember it all.

We last left off with my win in the MLF event on Silver on May 19th.

Since then..lets see. 

I was out of town for a wedding Memorial Day weekend, but I book ended the trip with and evening trip on Silver the day before, and the day after we got home. The first trip was good, caught a half dozen 4lb largemouth. The second trip was slow for largemouth, but OK for smallmouth. 

I was jammed up busy at work and/or with tons of make up softball games the following 2 weeks, only making it out a couple of times....the details escape me.

Saturday June 1st I fished another guys team MLF tournament on Conesus...We won that with 61+ lbs for our total. This was a bit larger tournament than mine, and it was a nail biter. We were down 2lbs on scoretracker with 10 mins to go, and I caught two 3lb smallmouth the last 10 minutes to go up 61-58 on that team. We caught 21 fish, that averaged about 2.9lbs each, and also got lunker with a 4-6 largemouth. I am in love with the MLF format...it helps that I am also 2-0 in the tournaments I have fished LOL.

The last 10 days or so on Silver have been a roller coaster. Smallmouth are still biting good, but I'm not doing much on the largemouth front.

The highlight of this period was last Saturday when I took my 9 yer old daughter out, I didn't fish, I just played guide. In the 3-4 hours we were out, she caught 6 nice smallmouth, and a bunch of rock bass and crappies.

One last youth softball tournament this weekend and that's done...I'm going to miss opening day on Silver for the first time in a LONG time....but oh well. If they don't advance to play on Sunday, we have decided to go enter the "kids" division at the Honeyoe Father's day tournament....but I REALLY REALLY hope they advance in the softball tournament LOL.

Now that youth softball season is over, I'll keep up better on my reports.

• Like 3

Since last report:

Fun fishing and practice fishing days on Silver are a blur....there's been several trips since the last report, but I can't remember any of them LOL.

Tournament reports are as follows:

Fished the Honeyoe Father's day tournament with my 9 year old daughter. We took 2nd in the youth division. She won $100 and a nice plaque. 

The following Thursday evening 6/20, I fished the 3 fish limit, 3 hour evening team tournament on Silver. I used to run these for a while, but I have passed the torch on to another group of guys, and they did a great job. I was supposed to fish with my daughter again, but the weather was TERRIBLE. Wind, rain, cold, etc...so I went alone when she decided to not want to go. I took 2nd by myself out of 15 boats with 11.70lbs for my best three, and also won lunker with a 5.12lb largemouth.

Sunday 6/23, fished my first tournament ever with a new club, on a body of water I have almost ZERO exp. on. The one time I was there it was in May, and it was a bed fishing "easy" day. I got work to do on this lake...It was not by any means on fire as one team only had a limit, but I learned some valuable lessons. It's known as a smallmouth lake, with an occasional largemouth kicker. I started with smallmouth. It was slow..for me. I had one 3lber in the boat in the first 3 hours. Bailed on them and went looking for the elusive largemouth on this water...BIG MISTAKE...the smallmouth turned on in the last few hours, while I was chasing green fish on the bank. I caught short green fish and pike the rest of my time there and got steamrolled.

Friday 6/28......Back to water I know LOL. Held my season opener solo angler series tournament on Conesus. It was a numbers day for me, tons of both largemouth and smallmouth up shallow. I ended up in the money with yet again another 2nd place finish out of 17 boats with 17.80lbs...winner had 18.06.

Tomorrow I have club tournament #2 on another new body of water that I have limited exp. on.....I hope to not fall on my face again.

• Like 3

I forgot to mention...yesterday at noon, all 4 wheels were off the wagon, the wagon was on fire, the fire hose had gas in it, and I was being attacked by Indians. I caught one fish in the first 5 hours of that tournament...AND LOST 6 BOAT SIDE....then, I turned it around the last 3 hours.

• Like 2

Went down to the dump for a mid day jaunt, yesterday.  I was on them pretty good on Saturday, but the storms chased me off.  I was hoping they'd still be up in the flooded brush, fallen trees, and flooded timber.  They were. Fished from 11-3:30, with a break to eat a chili cheese dog at the Bayside.  Northeast breeze, 10mph.  Water Surface was down to 78 from 85 on Saturday.  Ragetail Craw in Bama Craw, T-rigged with 1/2 oz. flipping weight.  No other baits necessary.  Fallen timber and isolated pockets in the weeds was the program.  Nothing huge, largest of 17 fish caught went 19".  No pics of the that fish.  Let's just say, I WON'T be endorsing the BPS brand fish grip any time soon.  Most were like the cookie cutter 3 shown below.  All post spawn.  Some blue gills are still on beds.  Due to no wake restrictions, the weeds have grown in strong this year, and the water is clear.  The dump is actually pretty nice when it's not soupy brown and churned up from the boat traffic.

IMG_2556-X2.jpg

IMG_2558-X2.jpg

• Like 3

Nice, I'm not sure if I've ever seen that water look so clear. I was out in Fair Haven this past Thurs/Fri with limited time to hit the lake with not a whole lot of success. Located and caught a few little smallies in spots I already had marked, but really nothing in between. The high lake water has visibility down a bit and with that goes my confidence out there. 

I'd be hitting anything that resembled flooded brush and timber.  That's where I saw and caught most of my fish.

Was up fishing with my younger brother over the weekend.  Mostly fished the Oneida River in the Three Rivers Area, beautiful river, caught some nice bass.  I caught a 4# largemouth and he caught a 4# smallie, within about ten minutes.  Caught a lot of smaller fish also, the occasional pickeral, and rock bass out the wazzuu.  His buddy caught almost a 5# smallie the next day also out of the same river.  We also fished Delta Lake near Rome, Ny and the Black River.  It was an amazing weekend with all the good times and beautiful scenery.  Then Sunday took my Mom on a drive up into the Adirondacks, WOW is all I can say!

• Like 3

Three rivers is a pretty cool place to fish.  I used to fish team open tournaments there with my buddy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J Francho said:

Three rivers is a pretty cool place to fish.  I used to fish team open tournaments there with my buddy.

It is about a ten minute drive for my brother, so he fishes there every weekend.  He is starting to really figure that section out.  I like fishing it with him when I go up.  Never know what is coming out of the water when you set the hook, and we always catch something. 

• Like 1

New Member here, fishing western and central NY. On my 2nd year of bass fishing seriously. I fish mainly the finger lakes from my kayak, especially Conesus as it is closest to my house. I fished it last Wednesday, and did very well by my standards. About 10 Largemouth with a few in the 4lb range. All on weightless plastics and dropshot rigs. I could see the bass cruising from about 6-10 foot in the AM. Went back this evening, and struggled hard... Lost one fish and that was it. Fish seemed to have moved deeper with the heat and I struggled to find them. Tried alot of dropshotting, and 1/8oz weighted wacky rigs. Thew some moving baits around dark, to no avail. Chalk it up to learning I suppose 

On Conesus, hit the docks if it's sunny.  Look for docks over or near deep water.  If that's not working, the outside weed edge, 12-16 FOW, with jigs usually works.  Place is a big bass factory.

23 hours ago, Pjv743 said:

New Member here, fishing western and central NY. On my 2nd year of bass fishing seriously. I fish mainly the finger lakes from my kayak, especially Conesus as it is closest to my house. I fished it last Wednesday, and did very well by my standards. About 10 Largemouth with a few in the 4lb range. All on weightless plastics and dropshot rigs. I could see the bass cruising from about 6-10 foot in the AM. Went back this evening, and struggled hard... Lost one fish and that was it. Fish seemed to have moved deeper with the heat and I struggled to find them. Tried alot of dropshotting, and 1/8oz weighted wacky rigs. Thew some moving baits around dark, to no avail. Chalk it up to learning I suppose 

Kayaking the finger lakes area should check out New York kayak bass fishing we have a tournament Saturday on little sodus then Onondaga in 3 weeks. I hit conesus tonight after work at the south end but didn’t get anything didn’t fish long I was to tired and it’s about 45 minutes from my house 

JFrancho, big bass indeed. I have broken personal bests on largemouth several times on that lake since last season. Its consistency that eludes me. Thanks for the tips, I will definitely give that a shot. Clayton86, I just ran into some of those NYKBF guys the other week, sounded like a good time. Will check it out for sure. I'll be out again this weekend hopefully have a better report.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pjv743 said:

JFrancho, big bass indeed. I have broken personal bests on largemouth several times on that lake since last season. Its consistency that eludes me. Thanks for the tips, I will definitely give that a shot. Clayton86, I just ran into some of those NYKBF guys the other week, sounded like a good time. Will check it out for sure. I'll be out again this weekend hopefully have a better report.

I wouldn't get too discouraged, Conesus has handed me my own butt more than once.

Since last report.

Fun/practice fishing has been almost NON-existent the last two weeks. Busy at work, and it's just been too hot, and the lake seems double busy this 4th of July period.

I did OK in my 2nd club tournament on a new body of water. Finishing 1 place out of the money. Not bad for only ever being on this place 1 time prior.

This past weekend was a disaster. 

I posted a 12.71 lb bag on Silver in my Friday Solo angler series tournament. Just one of those wrong place, wrong time kinda days, were one bite leads you down a path that it shouldn't. No big deal, it was just my turn to struggle.

For as bad as that was Saturday was WORSE

I was signed up for the FLO Summer Slam on Silver. $300 entry, $3000 first place prize. Had a partner lined up whom I have done well with on Silver before, and was ready to go...................WELLLLLLLL.....

My partner was a no-show 5 mins before we were supposed to be in the water for blast off at 6:30. A text to him asking where he was, and he tell's me "running late, be there around 7"...I tell him to forget it, were supposed to be in the water already...and he KNEW THAT. I beat feet to go get my boat which is 2 mins away to get in the water for blastoff in time, and JUST make it. That spun me out for the day....it was noon before I got my head on straight and started fishing right, but by then it was too late, the 3.5, and 4.5 lber I caught the last two hours were not going to do anthing, so I released them and beat the line at the ramp early. Now I have a bad taste in my mouth, and a $300 entry fee to swallow my self....shame on me for trusting this guy to show up on time, he's been late on me 2 times prior, and I should have known better. BUT, 3 strikes, he's out from now on.

• Sad 1

Man that stinks!!  I need to get on the schedule for one of these tournaments and fish with you @ww2farmer !  I think it would be a blast!

• Thanks 1

Fished Fair Haven (Little Sodus Bay) yesterday and struggled. Got 3 dink largemouth throughout the day, most on finesse gear but had a couple bumps on a spinnerbait. There was a tournament going on, other guys said they were having a rough time too. Not too sure what the deal is, but I felt a little better knowing it wasn't just me. 

On 7/15/2019 at 8:44 AM, Krux5506 said:

Fished Fair Haven (Little Sodus Bay) yesterday and struggled. Got 3 dink largemouth throughout the day, most on finesse gear but had a couple bumps on a spinnerbait. There was a tournament going on, other guys said they were having a rough time too. Not too sure what the deal is, but I felt a little better knowing it wasn't just me. 

We(NYKBF) had a tournament there Saturday no one had a stellar day I fished for fun well scoring fish all day. I managed a few dink bass and a decent bowfin. 

Came back from vacation on Saturday, and brought the heat back with me.

Dismal two fishing days fishing the banks of the Hudson in 90+ degree weather. I caught 4 fish total and missed 3 fish that shook hooks.

All dinks as well.

spacer.png

A Rock Bass was the only fish that hit my Plopper and stayed hooked.

spacer.png

15 hours ago, clayton86 said:

We(NYKBF) had a tournament there Saturday no one had a stellar day I fished for fun well scoring fish all day. I managed a few dink bass and a decent bowfin. 

Yup saw some of you guys floating by our cottage when I got down there, didn't see anyone pull fish out near our docks though. Only thing I got near our dock was a tiny rock bass lol. What was the winning bag??

41 minutes ago, Krux5506 said:

Yup saw some of you guys floating by our cottage when I got down there, didn't see anyone pull fish out near our docks though. Only thing I got near our dock was a tiny rock bass lol. What was the winning bag??

We go by length winning bag was 56.25” he had 3 18.75” bass. I know some were caught deep in drop shot on the north end majority came from the south end weed edges.