Sign in to follow this  
Jim Mac

Nucanoe Or ...?

I really like what I've seen of the 10' NuCanoe Frontier, but it's just too expensive. I'm keeping my eyes open for a used one, but I'm not holding my breath.

Which kayaks would be the closest to the Frontier's width, super stability, and elevated seat? Thanks.

I'm only familiar with these based on personal browsing and research.

But for cost, you can get something as stable in a hybrid kayak, or even something like a Wilderness Ride or Native Slayer.

I'm more than at ease standing in my 12' Native Ultimate. There's also the Wilderness Systems Commander in the hybrid lineup.

Fwiw.

Oh, and as far as elevated seats, the new Native Ultimates have adjustable height seats, and the Wilderness Systems Commander has a captain's perch. There are also very easy DIY things you can do to the Native Ultimate that makes it a high seat.

I raised my seat with two ¾" pieces of conduit under my seat tray, placed across my gunnels. I sit nice and high with no stability loss.

Thanks Darren. I tried the WS Commander, but did not like the goofy rounded floor. I think I want to limit myself to a 10 footer because it will fit in my mini van, and I can still close the rear hatch. I currently have the Malibu Mini X, which I like, but the low seat is hard on my back.

I'm looking for a 10' SOT kayak, but I'm also considering the Native Ultimate 12. I just don't know if I want to be without the scupper holes. The videos I've seen of the U12, it looks like there's only 3-4" between the water level and top of gunwale. Are my eyes playing tricks on me?

My most important needs are an elevated, comfortable seat, and stability.

I really like my Mini x, but the low seat is very hard on my back.

The Jackson Cruise 10' also looks nice, but the weight capacity is only 300 lbs.

Thanks for any advice on these 3 kayaks(Ultimate 12, Nucanoe Frontier 10', and Jackson Cruise 10'.

I have a Ultimate 12 and love it. I've never had a problem with swamping it, bit you have to know your kayaks capabilities. The hybrid works for me, I've owned both Sinks and SOTs(I've been kayak fishing since 99). You have to find the kayak that fits your fishing needs.

Thanks.  I'm considering  2 kayaks: "Native" Ultimate 12, and "Nucanoe" Frontier. I haven't tried either yet.

I'm wondering how difficult it will be for me to get in and out of the U12(back problems).

I need a very stable kayak, elevated comfortable seat, and easy to get in and out of.

I weigh 215 lbs. and fish small ponds, and lakes up to 200 acres.

I just got a Jackson Cuda 12 and I really like it.  Good stability, hi and low seating adjustability and it has a 350 lb. capacity. I think the biggest thing is to try to get some seat time before you buy a kayak or canoe and see what feels best and works best for you.  Good luck!

My buddy has one of the 10ft nuconoe kayaks.  if you are planning on paddling it I would pass.  He only uses it with an electric motor because it paddles so poorly. .  I run a predator 13 and honestly I find his kayak kind of useless when we go out.  The seat does not lock so it spins or moves a little side to side as he paddles. It looks nice but

The kayak spins and turns on a dime.  But for the life of me I cant get the thing to go in a straight line.

My buddy has one.  if you are planning on paddling it i would pass.  he only uses it with an electric motor.  I run a predator 13 and honestly I find his kayak kind of useless.  the seat does not lock so it spins or moves a little side to side as he paddles.

It spins more than paddles and is honestly almost as heavy as my kayak.

Thanks, but which kayak are you referring to?

The 10ft Nucanoe.  It is just to wide and spins to much for me.  I thought the 12ft one is far better as a kayak.

I have never tried the nucanoe 10

But own the frontier 12 and love it. Super supet stable endless rigging options and multiple seat options. I can stand and fish easily without ever feeling like it will tip. It is not the fastest paddling kayak but that is one thing you sacrifice with the width for the level of stability. If you can manage it I would recommend the 12 ft model regardless which model you choose. You would be surprised how much room your gear can take up. I don't think I could be comfortable in the 10 ft model. I think it would be a bit cramped.

I'm also considering the Frontier 12' and the new Native Ultimate FX12. Being used to a SOT, I don't know if I want a hybrid type though. I have to get my butt in them to try them out.

I do like the option of using a trolling motor on the Frontier if desired.