Master Bait'r

Latest Catch Pics Thread

Found a Whopper Plopper 90 the other day and promptly lost it in some brush an hour later. However, I loved the action and bit the bullet and bought one yesterday(I’m rather frugal when it comes to lures). Took it for a test drive this morning and it didn’t disappoint. 6 in a few hours. Wasn’t the size I was looking for, but the topwater strike is fun regardless. 

IGRQlwi.jpg

• Like 15

10 hours ago, A-Jay said:

Fish were shallow yesterday ~ 

:smiley:

A-Jay

1620883142_15May2018pic2BR.png.ad1c38876186e0fb80e7596093c8ebe8.png

Guess I need lessons on taking selfies! 😉

• Like 3

Yesterday I went out to my sister from another mister's trailer in Bethany, La. where I used to live a few years ago. Got to fish for a few hours in the ponds by her trailer. They are the trailer parks ponds. They're not that big, but there's bass in them. Been fishing about 2 and a half hours before I found out she had a little john boat. Wish I'd known it was hers from the get go. I'd have probably caught more than just this one. Been out in the boat about 30 minutes casting chatterbaits, spinnerbaits and plastics with nothing happening. Tied on a 1/2oz green pumpkin Dirty Jigs swim jig with a Power Team Lures(guess that's the name brand) black and blue craw type trailer(one of the packs of baits that @A-Jay sent me, thanks again my friend). First cast with it was to the bank and I thought it had been hammered as soon as it hit, set the hook it was just moss or something. So I just started swimming it back to me and out of nowhere about 5ft from the boat this 1lb 6oz beauty did acrobats under the water and slammed it. I could literally see this happen. I set the hook hard, couple turns on my reel and it was in the boat. Not sure what the red reflection is in that one pic. My tackle bag is red, so I'm guessing it was a reflection of it in the glistening tail. It wasn't bleeding. Took my pics and set it free to go get bigger. Heard there's a 6+ and a 7+ lber out there. I'll definitely be back out there again soon. Next time I'll be in the boat the whole time...lol! 😎

15264103332330.jpg

15264103440961.jpg

15264103537182.jpg

• Like 17

Another nice fish came on my special top water lure. This one is, let's say almost 21" (my board is almost 20").

32864686_174343409949146_465122309076261

• Like 20

The Bass are starting to bed in my area. For the last few days I have seen shallow bass over the telltale circular patterns.

First day was easy I was able to cast a floating crankbait past the bed and retrieve it through to get a Bass to swipe at it.

Second day not so easy. Crank didn't work, Wacky rigged Dinger didn't work, weightless Fluke didn't work. Last thing I tried was a Berkley powerbait Pogy Swimbait firetiger color. When I swam that past the bed the Bass would grab the tail then spit it out. There is an exposed hook near the head of the bait but the Bass wasn't choking it. I stayed at it, casting and retrieving over that bed for an hour with swipes but no hookups. Finally I changed my angle and casting from the side rather than straight out and the Bass choked it! all in all I worked this fish for about 1 and a half hours with different baits before landing it.

A31021_F4_7207_4435_BAD5_FF56_FB3_C4_F5_

• Like 12

I haven't seen any actual beds, but they're definitely shallow here. After failing to convince anybody to chase a chatterbait, I took a hint and switched up to a a plasmatail worm on a shakyhead. Found this one chillin' under a dock:

20180517_3_8lb.thumb.jpg.6d4fd0909815f3fd65ab4098b8ee9ad5.jpg

• Like 14

2 hours ago, JustJames said:

Another nice fish came on my special top water lure. This one is, let's say almost 21" (my board is almost 20").

Still waiting on you to fly across the ocean and get me one of those topwaters....  Just kidding nice bass

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JustJames said:

You're gonna need a hawg trough if you keep catching monsters like that! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TnRiver46 said:

Still waiting on you to fly across the ocean and get me one of those topwaters....  Just kidding nice bass

Which one you want?

IMG_0985.thumb.JPG.7056a0d30ebfa60500a836f0615e3f6f.JPG

But you cannot have it, all mineeeeee LOL.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

8_E32_A3_E6_AF2_C_4_DB2_A55_E_643_EEF21_

First Jerkbait Bass of the season. The frugal fisherman strikes again. Bought a Lunkerhunt perch pattern jerkbait for less than $3 from Field and Stream this week. Tied it on for the first time last night.

Patience and persistence pays off when Jerkbait fishing. Spent an hour walking the banks casting and retrieving with a jerk, jerk, pause, jerk pause method. This beauty hit it less than 5 feet from shore.

• Like 14

16 hours ago, JustJames said:

IMG_0985.thumb.JPG.7056a0d30ebfa60500a836f0615e3f6f.JPG

Nice looking lures. I might make a couple of them myself since they look very easy to make.

21 hours ago, JustJames said:

Good video. I gave your video a like with my YouTube channel. Keep up the good work!

• Thanks 1

@soflabasserif you wanna make your own, I think spook should work or any balsa wood lure should work. I'd been thinking of doing it myself for awhile. The problem is I can't find inline buzz blade big enough and most of them come from China.

@NYWayfareryou should give Fluke a try next. I fish Fluke for awhile caught only a few until last year that I told myself I wasn't gonna fish with anything else until I caught 10 bass with Fluke. Fluke is good especially on kayak since it can fish fast or slow. I like to fish fast early morning and evening and slow hopping on bottom other time. Like today we have overcast sky, instead of me go sleep after work, I decided what the heck let go fishing. I caught a nice 19  incher on Magnum Fluke while whopper Plopper couldn't get any interested.

32858368_174568593259961_177434938338338

How I work Fluke, video of this fish

The end was not very good since I found an EWG OR worm hook in fish stomach with about 2-3 feet of line. I tried to remove for awhile but can't so I let the fish swim out. I left home after that.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JustJames said:

@NYWayfareryou should give Fluke a try next. I fish Fluke for awhile caught only a few until last year that I told myself I wasn't gonna fish with anything else until I caught 10 bass with Fluke. Fluke is good especially on kayak since it can fish fast or slow. I like to fish fast early morning and evening and slow hopping on bottom other time. Like today we have overcast sky, instead of me go sleep after work, I decided what the heck let go fishing. I caught a nice 19  incher on Magnum Fluke while whopper Plopper couldn't get any interested.

32858368_174568593259961_177434938338338

That's a nice Bass James, Grats! I am going to try the Fluke again. Both from the bank and from the kayak. @J Francho

gave me advice on nose hooking them. I plan on trying that and using one on a ball head jig I got from Siebert Outdoors. If the exposed hook methods don't get me one then I know I am cursed.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JustJames said:

@soflabasserif you wanna make your own, I think spook should work or any balsa wood lure should work. I'd been thinking of doing it myself for awhile. The problem is I can't find inline buzz blade big enough and most of them come from China.

Thinking of using poplar or cedar for the wood and maybe making the inline buzz out of aluminum sheet metal if I can't find the premade inline buzz online. This lure looks like it will a good multi species lure and I might try it for muskie, snook, and other gamefish.

dodging tropical downpours here in the southeast but the fishing has been great here on Lake Norman. we caught 24 spots yesterday in the jon boat, and then 29 this morning in the Javelin. everything i have is waterlogged.

FB667071-AC0C-4F3A-A706-AF17A3CEBEFD.jpeg

• Like 13

3 hours ago, soflabasser said:

Thinking of using poplar or cedar for the wood and maybe making the inline buzz out of aluminum sheet metal if I can't find the premade inline buzz online. This lure looks like it will a good multi species lure and I might try it for muskie, snook, and other gamefish.

Do you plan on use screw in eyelet? Poplar gonna be quite heavy, cedar is good weight but screw in eyelet might not be strong enough. My plan is to cut in half, makes some groove to lay in hard wire and glue back together. Too bad I don't have a bandsaw to get precise cut.

Best two from today's adventure ~

A 5-10 & a Fat 6-0 !

A-Jay

201570390_18May20185-10smbcroppedBR.png.5930622eda2ae3a741bb8e6758b64ba5.png319726996_18May20186-0smbcroppedBR.png.f30d5f39e8b7d8c0cd5a28765e0f6e58.png

• Like 18

3 hours ago, JustJames said:

Do you plan on use screw in eyelet? Poplar gonna be quite heavy, cedar is good weight but screw in eyelet might not be strong enough. My plan is to cut in half, makes some groove to lay in hard wire and glue back together. Too bad I don't have a bandsaw to get precise cut.

Yes I use screw in eyelets for many of my wooden lures and none of them have ripped off on a fish, even saltwater fish that fight much harder than a bass or snakehead. You can get these eyelets in online lure building websites just make sure to get the correct size for the lure you plan on making. Been making swimbaits, topwaters, crankbaits, glidebaits, etc for a couple years now and have been happy so far with poplar and cedar wood for my topwaters. I invested some money for making my lures and to me its worth every penny knowing that I catch quality size bass on lures that I make with my own hands.

• Like 1

T rigged black/blue and Junebug Yum Dinger getting it done on a private neighborhood pond this afternoon. Largest went for 2.5. 

Lost my Whopper Plopper that was working so well. Buzzbait was getting slammed, but no hookups in the late afternoon. I can’t help but feel like if I had that WP, all those strikes would’ve been landed. Oh well. 

bDLfqSA.jpg

• Like 7

Caught my first Florida strain at Diamond Valley in Hemet, CA today. Not the size I came out here for but I guess that’s why they call it fishing and not catching. A 4.34 and a 3.0.

2422609D-322B-40DE-9583-EB901ECED7B1.thumb.jpeg.917de5832f4e7e6eb7ef644b6eb1a7fe.jpeg

• Like 14

6 hours ago, A-Jay said:

Best two from today's adventure ~

A 5-10 & a Fat 6-0 !

A-Jay

201570390_18May20185-10smbcroppedBR.png.5930622eda2ae3a741bb8e6758b64ba5.png319726996_18May20186-0smbcroppedBR.png.f30d5f39e8b7d8c0cd5a28765e0f6e58.png

Definitely picking up where you left off at ice out. Wowzers! Congrats my friend on some chunky brown footballs!

• Like 1

Caught my first smallmouth and striper out at Havasu and got into some largemouth as well! Night fishing with a jerkbait worked really well. 

GoMu9M9_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fe1X3KJN_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

KF9dvEg.jpgfs2DamE.jpg

• Like 9