Master Bait'r

Latest Catch Pics Thread

763620543_10July2018LivewellPic1BR.jpg.0884ef66eb0354608b92ed20c97df5ff.jpg 

Temporarily held hostage.

2 green ones and 2 brown ones ~ all from the same deep weedline.

:smiley:

A-Jay

• Like 18

Bit of a frustrating day. Hooked up on a few, but my hookset game was not strong or my luck was incredibly bad. Time to trade out the value H2O Xpress hooks and go with a new brand. 

Anyhow, I pulled in this 4lb. He seemed a bit oddly shaped...big shoulders(?). 

kYeCLXT.jpg

Nm5V7RC.jpg

• Like 18

I haven't fished much in the last 2 weeks, but made time for a short river float today.  A bunch of little smallies showed up, the best of which was this 15-incher:

Jul10_15in.thumb.jpg.5881ea34257add08162a57c848cf9c9d.jpg

On 7/8/2018 at 5:43 PM, CybrSlydr said:

Well, today was a good day. Went fishing at Burr Oak for a little bit and caught my new Personal Best Bass. Granted, those of you that have seen my previous bass, you'll realize it doesn't take much to break it. lol

Hard work and time-on-task pays off -- congrats!

• Like 14

4 hours ago, WDE said:

Time to trade out the value H2O Xpress hooks and go with a new brand. 

I use the H20 EWG and straight shank flipping hooks all the time and they work well for me, excellent for the price. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bluebasser86 said:

I use the H20 EWG and straight shank flipping hooks all the time and they work well for me, excellent for the price. 

I recently swapped 5/0 H20 for Mustad 4/0(LTB freebie) due to missed hookups. Had success on the 4/0, so I decided to go with the H20 version...and today was just madness with losing fish. 

1 hour ago, WDE said:

I recently swapped 5/0 H20 for Mustad 4/0(LTB freebie) due to missed hookups. Had success on the 4/0, so I decided to go with the H20 version...and today was just madness with losing fish. 

Haven't ever used the 5/0 size, maybe that's the difference? The 2/0, 3/0, and 4/0 EWG's have been everything I could ask them to be though. 

• Like 2

Noting like Ajay puts in the boat, but 4 like this on chatterbait and Craws.

My buddy was lighting it up on wacky rigged trick worms

4F95E7CD-B8D6-441A-B1C8-48FEF31956AC.jpeg

• Like 16

8 hours ago, WDE said:

I know it's a pics thread so trying not to get too far off topic but what line and rod are you using with those?

I can get a 5/0 hook set with a medium rod and 10lb flouro but it's gotta be just right. I usually use 15lb flouro and a medium heavy fast rod at the least for good hookups 4/0-6/0 EWG hooks. 

On 7/11/2018 at 11:26 AM, NHBull said:

Noting like Ajay puts in the boat, but 4 like this on chatterbait and Craws.

My buddy was lighting it up on wacky rigged trick worms

4F95E7CD-B8D6-441A-B1C8-48FEF31956AC.jpeg

Nice Bass ~

And it's Much Better than anything I got today 

A-Jay

air temp was 95 degrees water temp was 93 degrees. Still managed to catch my Largest bass of 2018, from a tough Kansas power plant lake, that has skunked me more than once.

21 inches 5lb. 12oz.

la cygne5_12.jpg

• Like 18

8 hours ago, Fairtax4me said:

I know it's a pics thread so trying not to get too far off topic but what line and rod are you using with those?

I can get a 5/0 hook set with a medium rod and 10lb flouro but it's gotta be just right. I usually use 15lb flouro and a medium heavy fast rod at the least for good hookups 4/0-6/0 EWG hooks. 

Medium, 12lb mono. I had at least 3 take the bait, set the hook(or so I thought), and they spit after a few seconds of running with it. One thing I did overlook is that perhaps my hook had dulled, even though it still looked and felt sharp. They weren’t small fish, so I don’t think they were just taking the worm. 

Just bizarre that I had no problems with the 4/0 Mustad and minimal with the 5/0 H20 previously(until I started hitting this particular pond frequently). 

Bass fishing was fairly lackluster today. After 5 hours in the sun with only a couple 16 inchers and a boatload of dinks, I had enough of it.

So over the course of the next hour, I first reranged and then plusoned a bunch of crappies. Just glad that I released almost as many as I kept. I forgot that cleaning fish isn't half as much fun as catching them.

TV1AyhN.jpg

a8T02Fm.jpg

mI832nC.jpg

• Like 24

3 hours ago, WDE said:

Medium, 12lb mono. I had at least 3 take the bait, set the hook(or so I thought), and they spit after a few seconds of running with it. One thing I did overlook is that perhaps my hook had dulled, even though it still looked and felt sharp. They weren’t small fish, so I don’t think they were just taking the worm. 

Just bizarre that I had no problems with the 4/0 Mustad and minimal with the 5/0 H20 previously(until I started hitting this particular pond frequently). 

I think You're probably sticking the fish with the point but not getting it to drive in. The stretch in mono combined with the flex in the rod just isn't enough to really drive that hook in past the barb and get a solid set. 

Flourocarbon or even braid will help, but you also need to start using a medium heavy rod with those sized hooks. 15lb flouro or 40lb braid on a medium heavy fast rod will certainly drive those home. 

Staying with the medium rod and mono line, downsize your hook to a smaller size and/or finer wire size. 

Mustad hooks are incredibly sharp. Talking almost molecularly sharp. Sharpness on a level that we can't feel with our own sense of touch. To us a mustad feels just as sharp as an eagle claw snell hook, but they're on entirely different levels if you put them under a microscope. The mustad also STAYS sharp for longer. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fairtax4me said:

I think You're probably sticking the fish with the point but not getting it to drive in. The stretch in mono combined with the flex in the rod just isn't enough to really drive that hook in past the barb and get a solid set. 

Flourocarbon or even braid will help, but you also need to start using a medium heavy rod with those sized hooks. 15lb flouro or 40lb braid on a medium heavy fast rod will certainly drive those home. 

Fluorocarbon stretches as much or more than mono, especially in lighter pound test. I use a lot of mono and copolymer lines, both are lines you're not supposed to use for jigs and T-rigs anymore because of the stretch they say, makes you wonder how anyone caught a fish back before fluorocarbon line existed. Just a few from this year on those too stretchy lines.

8lb copoly and a shakyhead in January

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, sky, outdoor, water and nature

15lb mono with a shakyhead in January

Image may contain: Clayton Westgate, smiling, standing, child, outdoor, water and nature

15lb mono and a swinging football head in February

Image may contain: one or more people, sunglasses, sky, outdoor, water and nature

• Like 13

Smallies for me in July are always tricky. (Even though it felt more like September).

It's routinely a game of hide & seek.

Today there was quite a bit of hide and I struggled to seek.

Pretty happy to get these guys.

A-Jay

1118322074_12July20182smbcroppedBR.png.6eba2cca05bcab67b489af7083e8dfbc.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

78525148-7_B7_F-4_CF2-83_E4-5_AD823642_C

The water levels were low so the fish were extra spooky but I still managed a few. This was the nicest one at 2.5 on a wacky GP 3” Dinger. Saw several 3-4 pound fish but I spooked them and they got tight lipped 😢 

• Like 16

Caught me a butter balling ditch panda on a tiny swimbait today.

U9REKQg.jpg

pvYTNFW.jpg

Pandasaurus rex is a strong animal, and tried to get away by bending out an ST-36. Not on my watch, not today though!

RKXLEDj.jpg

• Like 15

Apparently catfish like Keitechs as well...

ybJOb8b.jpg?1

After the disappointment of this catfish I also unfortunately caught a carp on a senko that was 30+ pounds and wouldn't even fit in our net. Thought I had a PB Clear Lake giant until about 10 seconds into the fight (no pic).

vGjIxAE.jpg?1

Pops with one of the nicer bass of the trip.

7bcDn3s.jpg?1

• Like 17

Got another nicer one from the creek. Was having trouble fooling them again but saw a pair chasing a bluegill at the surface and casted over towards them with the Keitech and this one hit it before I could even engage the reel. 2.93 lbs. Definitely one of my luckier catches. 

AFEE5_C63-_B1_EF-4_E72-_BC59-_BC7_E55_D5

Then I got this guy in the deepest pocket. @NorcalBassin I feel your disappointment 😝.D03_BA245-4_B0_B-4765-_B518-8_CE51714021

• Like 15

Took my nephew out  3.3 trolling with a chrome and blue back rat trap

7DAB36A8-9AFE-4C01-8717-ED269F7B20C8.png

• Like 12

Caught a catfish on a Keitech as well a few weeks back. It flopped out of my hands and over the side just as the pic was being taken. Seems like I've seen a lot of catfish caught on swimbaits this year. 

Got it out for an hour or so this afternoon and managed a couple smallmouth on senkos. No pics of those, they were all under 10", but did manage to haul in this beauty with 10lb braid on the spinning rod. Less fight than I thought it would be... It flipped out of my hand after the first pic and then I dropped my phone in the dirt. Need a felfie stick for this bank fishing stuff! 

image.jpeg

• Like 9

The frog was the lure of the day had many strikes on it but missed a few.

I then threw my frog next to the dock and because it's a hot summer day one happen to be there waiting for something.

First frog fish of the year!

jhXa2Lk.jpg

WMrV0qw.jpg

• Like 13

Well looky here! Blue caught one on a crankbait! 

Image may contain: sky, outdoor, water and nature

Image may contain: one or more people

I actually don't mind deep cranks so much, something about them is almost like dragging a really heavy jig when they're banging along the bottom. This one was on a grassy rockpile that topped out at 9' and dropped to 17' off the sides, I'm not sure the bait hit the bottom twice.

Did a lot of flipping grass (main reason I went to this lake, wanted to flip some grass). Found this one in a brushpile right on the edge of the grass. On a lake known for dinks that rarely gives up fish over the 18" mark, I caught 2 in 1 day on a 100* day no less. 

Image may contain: 1 person, sky, outdoor, water and nature

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Finally the day start cooling off from early heatwave over July 4th. It had been slow the whole week, still manage some on finesse worm but missed quite a lot of fish. 

This morning went out with back to the basic weightless Hula grub 5" and weightless BPS stick bait. It was pain and slow but manage to caught two on each all in 2-3lbs.

37185951_204996303550523_460436181928745

37160862_204996293550524_135349424824202

37194031_204996316883855_773158689831282

• Like 15

5 hours ago, JustJames said:

Finally the day start cooling off from early heatwave over July 4th. It had been slow the whole week, still manage some on finesse worm but missed quite a lot of fish. 

This morning went out with back to the basic weightless Hula grub 5" and weightless BPS stick bait. It was pain and slow but manage to caught two on each all in 2-3lbs.

37160862_204996293550524_135349424824202

Nicely Done ~

btw - how do you keep that Texas rigged dirt on the hook ? 

:D

A-Jay

• Haha 3