Master Bait'r

Latest Catch Pics Thread

The wife and I had a ‘date night’ we grabbed the poles and hit a bridge close to us to see if any smallies were in the river. First cast with her trusty Senko and she nailed the first SMB of the year that went 2-10. 

85F36D59-A8FC-405F-B396-E4F2D8789D7A.jpeg

• Like 15

Lots of action friday on a trip to a little out-of-the-way 40-acre lake.  A Siebert Fogy bladed jig was effective when cast right up to the shoreline, and when worked through scattered emerging lily pads. Where vegetation was thicker and the fogy started hooking up on pad stems too often, I would switch to a Rage Swimmer rigged weedless on a mustad powerlock hook. This "1-2 punch" accounted for about 2 dozen largemouth in 3 and a half hours, most around 2-3lb, plus a couple of little pike.

Here's the best one, caught on the Fogy; wriggled away before I could get a measure, but probably in the high 3s/low 4s:

20190517_Morningprespawner.thumb.jpg.b94401c3dcce37322ed360c6a0af89a3.jpg

A substantially bigger one came off on a surfacing head-shake about 10 minutes later.

• Like 15

60459778_2352653058346904_6659262293261418496_n.png?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=2a7117525072cb3c0610c927b93d797d&oe=5D62031B

This poor girl was lost . . . 

:smiley:

A-Jay

• Like 18

4 minutes ago, A-Jay said:

60459778_2352653058346904_6659262293261418496_n.png?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=2a7117525072cb3c0610c927b93d797d&oe=5D62031B

This poor girl was lost . . . 

A-Jay

DUDE!!!! That’s a tank of a green bass, how much did she weigh? 

• Like 1

Just now, 12poundbass said:

DUDE!!!! That’s a tank of a green bass, how much did she weigh? 

Thank you my friend.

She was a stout 4.49 lbs.

Admittedly a surprise, this will most likely be my biggest MI green bass this season.  Peaked early I guess.

btw - she'll be appearing in an upcoming video here shorty.

With the rain all weekend I'm chained to the pc and have become an editing machine ! 

Several have already gone up today

A-Jay

• Like 6

Don't own a scale but going to Walmart tomorrow to get one lol. Anyone have any guess on what they think it weighed? Nothing crazy but still a nice bass for my first time at the pond 👍

Edit: Compared next to a Dobyns 734C and my size 10.5 shoe

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0345.JPG

• Like 10

I tried something new tonight bank fishing a golf course lake. The lake is around 5 foot deep in the middle and most of it has a featureless mud bottom. I speculate that a good portion of the forage for many of the bass are the pale blue tilapia that are so numerous there. I selected a shad pattern deep diving (SK 10XD) crankbait, that rooted to and fro and and dug hard into the bottom leaving in its wake a plume of mud. The big hooks on the bait allowed me to use a heavy rig to bring them in through the shore vegetation. The result was a successful outing, leading to a 5 pounder and a 3-12 in quick succession.

IMG_0853.jpg.9fb17b1ff5a3204652ad4b5902714e26.jpgIMG_0852.jpg.913bf0b17cc1f51d6343455646d1d4a2.jpgIMG_0855.jpg.fdac48bf7f6921e6ca8bad2740dbeb36.jpg

• Like 15

Just 1 week after catching my first 5+ lb bass (that took me a year and a half to catch), I crushed my PB again by over a full pound!  This toad tipped the scales at 6.35lbs... and gave me one heck of a sleigh ride in the kayak!

E0FFEAE5-088F-4A0B-B218-9D821B7CCAE8.jpeg

• Like 19

Congratulations, man! Nice fish! Nice photo, too. Remember to up your PB in your profile! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ClintIsKING said:

Don't own a scale but going to Walmart tomorrow to get one lol. Anyone have any guess on what they think it weighed? Nothing crazy but still a nice bass for my first time at the pond 👍

4 pounds, 3 oz.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, hawgenvy said:

4 pounds, 3 oz.

Yea I thought about 4lbs. Looked at a length to weight comparison chart it and said between 4-5lbs so I'm pretty happy.

Nice fish, my friend. Enjoy the memory.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PAbasser927 said:

Just 1 week after catching my first 5+ lb bass (that took me a year and a half to catch), I crushed my PB again by over a full pound!  This toad tipped the scales at 6.35lbs... and gave me one heck of a sleigh ride in the kayak!

E0FFEAE5-088F-4A0B-B218-9D821B7CCAE8.jpeg

Nice fish. Handling one that size or bigger, up this way (I'm in Michigan) , will have you talking to yourself. I've got my two biggest this year just a few weeks apart also and it kinda leaves me wondering where I go from here...ha, ha, probably down. But congrats!  That's a nice one!

Busy couple days Thursday and Friday. Had a guy call me Wednesday night from Las Vegas to see if I was available to guide Thursday night, which I was. So until their flight got in, I went fishing (at a different lake nearby). Didn't catch many, but the quality was good when I got bit. Should have had over 20lbs with my biggest 5, but I had one of those internal dialogue moments when I made a really long cast with my little plastic on my spinning rod and said "I'll never hook it if I get bit that far out", I was right. Line moved off to deep water, gave it all I had on the hookset and didn't even start to turn the fish, then she was gone. Ended up with my 4 keepers just shy of 16 pounds in 4 hours though.

Image may contain: outdoor, water and natureImage may contain: 1 person, sky, outdoor, water and natureImage may contain: 1 person, smiling, sky, outdoor, water and nature

Guide trip went great. 3 friends put over 60 fish in the boat in 4 hours, a mix of largemouth, green sunfish, bluegill, black crappie, channel catfish, and a first in my boat, a gizzard shad hooked in the mouth on a wacky rig. Poor guy had never seen a shad before and grabbed it by it's side to try and unhook it before I could say anything, it got a good laugh from his buddies. To cap the night, I spotted what proved to be the biggest of the evening sitting suspended next to a boat lift, and she was all over the Ned rig that landed in front of her. 

60478161_10213901864847029_7217979672376Image may contain: 1 person, sunglasses, outdoor, water and natureImage may contain: 2 people, outdoor, nature and waterImage may contain: 1 person, smiling, outdoor, water and nature

Had my favorite backseater with me Friday. Fishing was not terrific, but we caught plenty of fish and he got to play in the livewell and eat lots of snacks. We even went way up a creek with the high water and found a bunch of fish trapped in a big, clear pool and caught about 20 out of there. Tons of snakes cruising the creek for some reason, he was having fun watching them too. Didn't get any bass pictures, but we did get some multispecies action.

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, child, outdoor, nature and waterImage may contain: 1 person, smiling, cloud, child, sky, outdoor, water and nature

• Like 15

6 hours ago, Fishingintheweeds said:

Nice fish. Handling one that size or bigger, up this way (I'm in Michigan) , will have you talking to yourself. I've got my two biggest this year just a few weeks apart also and it kinda leaves me wondering where I go from here...ha, ha, probably down. But congrats!  That's a nice one!

Thanks!  Yeah I am in the same boat here in Southeast PA.  This was actually the biggest bass I have seen in person.  I had the same thought about where I go from here, but I actually have my first baby due in August so I am just happy to get these catches in before my fishing time gets severely limited lol

• Like 1

spacer.png

Here's a "wake up" fish from early 5/18. Report on the day will follow.

• Like 15

Been a bad year for getting the boat out, but snuck in another bank trip to a favorite small lake yesterday. Saw a lot of beds, but nothing locked on them. Did catch a couple cruisers sight fishing, but the rest of the 21 landed were cast and grind :lol:

IMG_0728.jpg.8885f054b7cd0519dc92129c37605571.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg.eeb5383130d6ecefd00d6851b43b06bd.jpg 

• Like 16

13 hours ago, PAbasser927 said:

Thanks!  Yeah I am in the same boat here in Southeast PA.  This was actually the biggest bass I have seen in person.  I had the same thought about where I go from here, but I actually have my first baby due in August so I am just happy to get these catches in before my fishing time gets severely limited lol

Yeah, it changes some. I have two, a year and a half apart and they're still young. I started having to get little 30-45 minute trips in and planning them out...it was a change, for sure. But I've caught all of my biggest 3 since I had my second. So, never fear! All is not lost. 

I've also lucked out that my 2 and a half year old can fish with a wacky rigged Senko on a tiny circle hook and...SO FAR...not get anything twisted or stick with a hook. The circle hook also relieved most of the worry about him causing a late hook set somehow and having a gut hooked fish. Of course, I help, but he actually gets to fish...and mom's a fan of anything that can get at least one kid out of the house! Just saying...it's worth a shot! 

• Like 1

Got out for a little today. Looks like the fish are bedding up. They are staying tight to their spots and will not eat. Found one today that had to be around 10lbs. No matter what I did, I could not get it to bite anything. I even casted straight into him and bumped him once with a spinner bait. No luck. They all did the same thing. Looks like the dumb ones like this 3-4 pounder are making beds in the excessive algae this year. I have never seen this much before.

Still a great day, since now that everything’s all set up right, I could cast to the end of the spool on my aldebaran with a weightless senko or even 1/4 ounce :respect-059:

55A7EC97-05BA-4FEC-96A7-FF63033F528D.jpeg

• Like 4

34euvih.jpg

Caught while fishing for crappie and bluegill. I lost a bigger bass on 4 lb test line, and I'm pretty sure this one also was one that had got away earlier in the day. Glad he came back. Not sure the weight, roughly 1.8 to 2 lbs you think?

1z5j22a.jpg

I usually don't keep, but this time.i decided to keep a handful of the 15 crappie I caught today to fillet and fry.  Also a chunky bluegill in there

• Like 10

giphy.gif

Maybe you can see it better this way. They appear to be protecting the holes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not the 5's and 6's some guys are showing but finally getting some river action. Caught 9 the other day with this one being the best. Also, some decent white bass action. They're lots of fun.

IMG_0086.jpg

• Like 15

15 hours ago, CrankFate said:

giphy.gif

Maybe you can see it better this way. They appear to be protecting the holes.

I almost got a headache trying to find your bed(s?) lol.

My first cast with the 68 yielded this today:

YhVvUWs.jpg

Guess I will take it.. especially since it's the only one I caught. First cast curse?

olRKOrp.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, deep said:

I almost got a headache trying to find your bed(s?) lol.

My first cast with the 68 yielded this today:

YhVvUWs.jpg

Guess I will take it.. especially since it's the only one I caught. First cast curse?

olRKOrp.jpg

Still better than the hundreds of casts curse. The only thing I caught was a dink catfish.

• Haha 1

1033377234_5-7smbcroppedBR.png.9f8657b4a801f535350b4d46a587cfa3.png

Last fish of the day and she was definitely worth the wait.

A-Jay

• Like 18