Sign in to follow this  
Will Wetline

Salmon River (New York) Steelhead Trip, October 27 -31, 2014

The weather and number of steelhead in the river proved to be quite good again this year. I'll let the pictures mostly do the talking:

InYourFace_zps97e6ba0b.jpg

07044094-419d-4123-9155-d3e4b81423c8_zps

d1be6a6a-368e-4a00-9cbd-474066e92334_zps

0c7a65b1-5633-4bf5-80a9-b74706b8851c_zps

We only saw one brown this year, Aaron's beauty.

4ed32e95-474e-47fc-9c2a-fc39e2511d87_zps

48e6336f-ef06-472f-8bed-78457b94f652_zps

I got photobombed!

69ca7c71-f23d-4f81-9c69-80599e4d4ac5_zps

These standard issue egg pattern flies I tied are bottom bounced - dead drifted if you prefer that term. I deliver them with a TFO 9'6" L rod on which is a Shimano Stradic 4000 filled with 8 lb. Silver Thread AN40. My three buddies all fly fish proper.

64f2c66d-fc9b-4e63-be2f-855721acc9fb_zps

• Like 7

Nice. I fished that same spot on Veteran's Day. I'm going up in the morning for another whack at them.

Gorgeous Steel and One Sweet Brown

Congrats

A-Jay

Nice fish and excellent photos.  Thanks for sharing!

Tight lines,

Bob

That brownie could eat my PB brown :(

Looks like a blast. 

Sweet fish & pics.

Wow, i really need to go up there for a trip.  it has been on my bucket list for a while now....i would love to catch one of those huge browns.  Do you know what weight fly rods your buddies use to handle those monsters?

Wow what an awesome trip!  BEAUTIFUL brown!  Any idea on weight?

Jeff

Wow, i really need to go up there for a trip.  it has been on my bucket list for a while now....i would love to catch one of those huge browns.  Do you know what weight fly rods your buddies use to handle those monsters?

7 wt rods are most commonly used for steelhead.

Wow what an awesome trip!  BEAUTIFUL brown!  Any idea on weight?

Jeff

We estimated Aaron's brown at 12 lbs. Don't get scared, but they come bigger. Braggin' size starts about 15 lbs. for both browns and steelhead. These are not fish that you skip over the surface and then flip into the boat like an Elite pro; a 10 lber. plays you for several minutes then, tiring, you play it for a while until it sees the net (or the shoreline if you're planning on beaching it) and bolts downriver again (occasionally upriver) and then if you haven't made a mistake or soiled yourself . . . well, you just might get a photo op with your prize.

Hey, as much as I love big smallies, I gotta say steelhead fishing is the best game in freshwater.

• Like 1

We estimated Aaron's brown at 12 lbs. Don't get scared, but they come bigger. Braggin' size starts about 15 lbs. for both browns and steelhead. These are not fish that you skip over the surface and then flip into the boat like an Elite pro; a 10 lber. plays you for several minutes then, tiring, you play it for a while until it sees the net (or the shoreline if you're planning on beaching it) and bolts downriver again (occasionally upriver) and then if you haven't made a mistake or soiled yourself . . . well, you just might get a photo op with your prize.

Hey, as much as I love big smallies, I gotta say steelhead fishing is the best game in freshwater.

Will, I too love chasing big browns.  My wife and I fish for them a couple times a year, but more specifically when the time is right for the big ones.  That is a dandy buck brown, with a lot of girth.  I would have guessed in the teens, no knowing length, still he had been eating!

Jeff

I was all set to head out there early this morning to fish today and tomorrow but the weather scared me off... high temps below freezing, windy, and snow.  I'm on vacation this week and then I get very busy at work until the holidays are over.  I hope I get a chance to get out there!

Tight lines,

Bob

The bites been a little slow. 3 of us fished hard this week and went 4 for 8 I think. 

I have a buddy that works at Douglaston...............I know, probably not popular (not a fan of it either)..........but I am just the messanger, and he claims it's been dreadfully slow for even them.

Ya I know the pay-to-play aspect doesn't sit well with me either but I have been a few times and it is a prime stretch of water. The water in the river is really low and clear plus the fishing pressure has been high. Lots of dead ones and floaters as a result combined with less than stellar handling practices.  I'm thinking a little rain followed by stable but colder weather will turn them on again.  

I get a kick out of the fact that the ones I catch made it through the DSR "gauntlet."

• Like 1