bkohlman

Video Editing

What do you guys use to edit your fishing videos?

Thanks!

BK, now that is the first time I have seen a question like you asked on the Forum.

I don't take videos and few pictures when fishing so I can't help you.

But I am interested in the feedback you get as some of the videos that have been on the Forum have been excellent.

Merry Christmas

IMovie, right on my phone.

Imovie works well for basic editing but  sucks in comparison to high level editing software. Most of the stuff you see on youtube have been done with imovie, you can tell because of the generic sample music.  I would suggest a program like sony vegas pro if you want to start using green screens or layering multiple shots. Its easy to learn the basics but requires a pretty fast computer. 

I use iMovie on my phone, none of the music is a generic sample. I just pick what I want from my own music. It's fine for 30 second videos taken on my phone.

I think the whole video fishing thing is highly overrated anyway. There are very, very few that can do it well. Everyone and their sister has a channel loaded with vids of them acting like clowns catching dinks, though. Lol.

• Like 3

If you are not highly experienced with basic editing programs I would not use the professional software (Adobe CS6, Sony Vegas, etc.), and also if you would not like to break the bank I would suggest sony movie studio. It is the basic version of sony vegas pro. It is $50 and will likely do everything you need it to do and more.

Even if you are doing high quality videos this program can handle it and your money is best spent on cameras/lenses if you are looking for true high quality, the program can only work with what you put into it.

Rob

• Like 1

Imovie works well for basic editing but  sucks in comparison to high level editing software. Most of the stuff you see on youtube have been done with imovie, you can tell because of the generic sample music.  I would suggest a program like sony vegas pro if you want to start using green screens or layering multiple shots. Its easy to learn the basics but requires a pretty fast computer. 

I've been editing home videos since the early 90's long before digital video existed. iMovie is pretty sophisticated for a free program.  Unless you are doing special effects, you won't need a green screen or a professional editing program. If you did want something more advanced than iMovie, Adobe Premier Elements is great for about $100. Almost any computer purchased in the last few years is plenty fast enough. If you plan on putting videos on YouTube, generic music is all that's allowed. Music that is copyrighted, unless you own the copyright, can't be used. 

• Like 1

Like others have said, iMovie, Sony Vegas, or pro software such as Adobe Premier. For just geting started, you better go free. It's hard enough to capture good fish on video, let alone edit the video after the fact.It can take years to learn how to be efficient at it. Also, you'll need a decent computer/video card to edit real-time without any hardware issues.

For music on YouTube, you can use their generic music or use royalty-free options (Google it, there are hundreds of sites). Always get the artist's permission in writing - you'll save yourself money and a big headache by getting permission when you're chalenged about copyright issues.

If you're doing this for a video diary, skip the music and edit barebones video. Hope it helps!

I use Tipard Video Converter on my PC. You can Google it and get a free trial download or purchase it for $31.50 with 90-day money back guarantee. Also while on the website check out the reviews.

Here one I did on my phone.

Another, with rare Clayton fishing footage, lol.

• Like 1

Lots of IMovies...   

I do a lot of editing to make my "season montages" and such, and I have slowly gotten better software. MovieMaker is thought of as a really lame editing program, but I was actually able to do some good things with it. Same with IMovie. But I use Final Cut Pro now, and it's great. I know a lot of people who are much more serious than I am about editing (some have sponsored videos), and many use Final Cut.

I started using Openshot. It's free and it's very robust. The only downside (for most) is that it's currently only available for Linux operating systems. I just have a dedicated laptop that runs Linux Ubuntu that is my video editing machine. I believe there's a Windows version in the works but in the meantime, it is possible to run it off of a Linux Live CD, which runs the OS on the fly without actually installing it. It's available here http://www.openshot.org/download/

Just to clarify something mentioned above - you can use copyrighted music on YouTube videos but there are some caveats to watch for. There are a very small number of artists who will pull down anything that has their music in it. So don't use any Prince music for your soundtrack... A much larger majority will simply require that an ad-banner pop up at some point during the video, you know, that thing that often pops up when you're watching something on  YouTube that you quickly click the "X" on so it goes away? No big deal on PCs but this feature can't be enforced on mobile phones so sometimes those videos simply will not play on that platform. Even this isn't enforced on all copyrighted material though.

Here's a video I uploaded in the fall, edited with Openshot and containing copyrighted soundtrack. It plays just fine on both PCs and mobile phones. (It's the wrong species for this forum though :) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXl9kMo2Qpc

One other thing I'll just throw out that might be helpful. If you're using footage captured with a GoPro don't do your editing with the .mp4 files. Offload all of the corresponding .lrv files into a folder and then rename them to .mp4 and do your editing with those. They're very low quality files but they are identical in structure to the .mp4 files. They won't bog down your system while your doing your editing. Once you're all ready to export the final product, then replace them with the original high quality .mp4 files and get your end product in all of it's High Def glory. 

~Denny

I've had decent success using windows movie maker.  Its free and simple to use.  Here's a few that I've done, definitely nothing professional, but I thought they turned out good.  Using free software and trying not use copyrighted music.

I use iMovie on my phone, none of the music is a generic sample. I just pick what I want from my own music. It's fine for 30 second videos taken on my phone.

I think the whole video fishing thing is highly overrated anyway. There are very, very few that can do it well. Everyone and their sister has a channel loaded with vids of them acting like clowns catching dinks, though. Lol.

J, you have videos of Raider???

None of him fishing…

so whats the deal with youtube and copywrite laws, can you use music from a cd you own?

No, you can't use music from a CD on YouTube.

so whats the deal with youtube and copywrite laws, can you use music from a cd you own?

Certain music organizations will let it pass, but others will get the sound on your video muted.  I think there is a list someplace where you can look up and see who allows you to use the music, but I don't know where.

If the goal of the video is to promote yourself, then you fall into copyright law. If it's an informational video that is educational or news related, then you fall under fair use. My videos aren't public, my channel is not monetized, and I have had no issue with what music I use in the videos.

I use IMovie but I just do it for fun.