Sign in to follow this  
Senko lover

700 Pound Pig Killed In Nc

I didn't even know these guys existed, let alone in my state! He looks like a ROUS from Princess Bride.

http://www.wlos.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/hunters-kill-700-pound-pig-transylvania-co-19459.shtml#.VNEGBpU3OM8

Holy Bacon! Dig a hole and fire up the hog roast boys and girls! 

That hunter coulda got real dead if he'd have missed with his one bullet. 

my dad, brother and i have hog hunted in TX, OK, AR, NC, GA, SC, FL and have encountered some massive hogs.  BUT never seen one above 550, and all the big ones we ever caught were from FL just north of Tampa.  that said, no surprise to see a monster like this from western NC.  i grew up about an hour from this location they're reporting on and we've caught some big pigs there too.  in fact, we transplanted a couple from FL and GA to western NC when i was very young. 

We rarely if ever shot one.  Hunting with dogs, you don't shoot them.  Instead you have a "catch dog" that latches on until you get the hog by the legs and get it flipped on it's side.  then you either take it out alive by hobbling the legs or you bring out the knife and go for the neck.  honestly it's an intense adrenaline rush.

Okay, let's look at the very first sentence of the story.

"To some, a massive kill in Transylvania County is the stuff of legend."

Transylvania?  I thought they'd already killed that monster, cause I saw it in the movie! :eyebrows:

A Russian boar, right? Some big hogs in Tenn.

I hunted them a bit in Florida, nothing big by no means, but they are running amuck..

...but they are running amuck..

I think that is the case throughout the country. In Tennessee there is no "season" and there is

no limit. Hunters are encouraged to kill as many as they can, by any means.

running amuck is the PC term, more like f'ing it up

you should see what a pack of 20-30 wild hogs do to a field or pasture overnight.  they "root up" the dirt and it looks like some drunk guy with a tiller came through the night before. 

they are a true nuissance.  we hunted them primarily on a 32,000 acre ranch in land o lakes, fl.  aside from an old lawyer friend of the property owner, we were the only ones allowed to hunt the place.  that was really only because they wanted someone to eradicate as many hogs as possible from the place as they destroy millions of dollars worth of property down there.

and they are of russian decent yes, a boar being a male and a sow being a female.  the females are actually quite tasty, the males produce some hormone that makes them inedible.  they smell SOOOOOOOOOO bad when you cook them it will make you lose your appetite for days.  my dad attempted it one time a long time ago and we left our house for a couple of days because the smell was more than anyone could take.