Sign in to follow this  
Fish_Whisperer

My Upcoming Rod Build... (Finished With Pics)

The time has come... I am now getting my first custom rod built!  I have hemmed and hawed about it for a couple years, and finances and other things prevented it from coming to fruition.

To Mike DVT, I spoke with you a few times concerning my ideas for a rod, and I regret to inform you I will not be seeking your services. It is nothing personal (I think your work is awesome!)  but with the money I will be tying up in this rod, I could not see myself having a rod built by someone who doesn't live close enough to meet face to face and go over specs and handle length measurements.  I'm old fashioned I guess.  I apologize for my "tire kicking."

Funny how I met the builder... it was pouring rain and I was driving down the highway.  The truck in front of me had a magnet sign on the back and I saw a reel and a rod.  So I sped up and got beside him and honked the horn, and when he and his wife looked over I turned the handle on an imaginary reel.  He nodded and I followed him to a grocery store parking lot.  Nice guy and does good work from what I seen.  

With that said, here are the specs for the build...

Phenix k2 blank.

Model                Length    Line rating   Pieces    Taper Action     Lure Weight    Butt Diameter   Tip Size      Blank Weight

TX-714MH-C      7'1"            6-18           1                 Fast             3/16-3/4                0.506             5.0              1.55  

Microlite guidetrain.

DBML_SET_408.jpg

Winn Grip butt and rear grip, the smaller natural color...

ET250_Group_214.jpg

No foregrip above the reel.... split reel seat with excess threads removed....

SKTPSM.jpg

It will be paired with this... Shimano aldebaran 50.

download.jpg

Blank and guides are on the way, I didn't come to a decision on grips until today, Thanks Ghoti :)

Those K2 blanks are special. The weight and sensitivity are hard to match plus the looks of them are stunning. I have had a few outings so far with a spinning custom rod and absolutely love it. I am sure your casting rod will be spectacular. Toss a few photos up when she is finished!

Should make a fantastic rod.  The K2 blanks are amazing.  I will give you one piece of advice, when you get your rod, be very careful with it.  By all means fish it hard but do your best to protect the blank from dings.  The walls of those blanks are incredibly thin and they don't hold up well to being dinged.  They do make fantastic rods though.

It's funny, that excess thread is a big deal. I have a Powell endurance and the thread irritates my finger. Sounds like you'll get an awesome fishing rod. Update us.

Pics when completed!

I am actually having Mike from DVT build a rod for me right now (glad you are not tying up his time now lol!!!)

...unfortunately....it is not for me and for a retirement gift for a good friend of mine.  Anyhow, I can imagine it being a pretty spectacular rod...and am going to have to have one built for myself as well with a few variations.  Going to be really hard to give it away but I fish with him a couple times a month and should be around it plenty...until my own is ordered and completed as well.  

Looks like a nice build. It's hard to argue with the opportunity to be hands on. Good communication and lots of it help either way. Good luck and enjoy! 

• Like 3

Got an update for everyone!  My builder called me up at work today. He has my handles glued in, the guides wrapped and I stopped by to check it out and give the ok before he sealed the threads.  We decided to weigh it out and before sealing the wraps, scaled out at 2.8oz.  

Should have it Sunday, and will provide pics as well!

Sorry it took so long for pics!  Went for a minimalist look, with garnet thread.  The trim ring in front of the back section was not a corner cutting idea, rather something I thought about after I asked him to cut off some of the rear grip.  I have casted this rod even though the planned mate for it has not arrived yet.  It does have a thread exposed with the reel seat tightened down, but it doesn't bother me compared to having a half inch or more of threads showing.  I enjoyed the microwave guides.  All in all the rod weighs 3oz.

20150612_031706.jpg20150612_031721.jpg

• Like 1