Sign in to follow this  
Lacustrine

Eye Removal Repair

I have a rod thats eye was to close to the reel. I removed the eye. What should I use to fix the missing finish spot? Can I get it somewhere locally or will I need to order?

It depends what finish is on the rod and what you've done to it so far.

It is an old Fenwick Eagle and I have cot the thread and removed the epoxy.

A lite build epoxy or permagloss should cover the spot well. A simple wax job may be all it needs. If it has a painted finish you can't match maybe a wrap over the spot is in order. It's hard to say without seeing it. 

A lite build epoxy or permagloss should cover the spot well. A simple wax job may be all it needs. If it has a painted finish you can't match maybe a wrap over the spot is in order. It's hard to say without seeing it. 

Thanks! It has paint, but not gloss. I will try waxing first. Thanks again.

I would be very surprised if wax will satisfy you.  Every guide I've removed left a significant "gap" with the texture of the thread on the blank where the guide was removed and a couple humps of wrap epoxy at the ends.  If you do try wax, then conclude it is not good enough, be sure you remove the wax before applying epoxy.  

I've not been able to restore the original appearance of the blank so i smooth out the area as best I can (at this point you may conclude that  with epoxy over the area it will look good enough, so apply the thread wrap epoxy) then put a decorative wrap that makes sense for the rest of the rod on the spot where the old guide was.