Frog Turds

Frog Turds 2015 Season Has Begun...

Once again its that time here finally & this thread will contain the entirety of reports within my 2015 Season as before.

Our inland lakes don’t open until May 9th so Mr P & I headed out to the Mississippi backwaters last weekend.

Well day 1 after setting up camp we hit the water a bit after 12:00.  We get on the water and shove off and 2 things went south.  1st was I noticed my TM had no power, missing a couple gears and the power I had was like 2 speed, could hardly buck a fart in the wind.  So I head back to the dock, grab tools, rip the TM head apart and all looks okay.  I know what the issue is, speed controller failure once again.

Regardless I put it back together and head out, not going to quit and just do what I have to do to with limping along through the day.

2nd issue right off is the waters in the backwaters are EXTREMELY low, really it was mudmotor territory.  If you didn’t have polarized glasses to navigate your way to find a few inches of more depth in spots just to get through, you were really going to have a bad time.  Even at that, I can not count how many times him & I ran aground.  Basically had to have the TM set high as hell where part of the prop was out of the water to get through these areas.

Seeing what were seeing, we know that under the water conditions we needed to find any deeper water and/or moving water to find fish.  The vast majority, like 98% of the water was unfishable and/or unable to navigate.

Not to mention, rain came in right away and both of us in our haste to get on the water forgot to grab the rain gear out of the truck.  So we got wet and a bit chilled on top of it all but conditions improved later on and the rain stopped.

As far as the fishing, one spot we found deeper water and got on some fish, then we found the other, moving water in a river channel and found them stacked.  Not a lot of big class of fish this round but definitely numbers.  Somewhere around 45+ fish with the biggest running 3.83#’s.

Even with all the adversity we faced we it was a successful day 1 of 2.

Mississippi%2520Backwaters%2520with%2520

• Like 8

This was Day 2 at a different backwater. But before that because of my TM failure, we got up and had to run to a distant city that was over the hills & through the woods to get me a new Trolling motor.  Which even though it was a hassle,  I’m glad my other failed as I had the older style click in to gears 1-5.  The new variable speed Endura’s also come with the digital maximizers ;)

So after that, we show up to find out there is a 70 boat bass tourney going on in this part of the sippi river as well.  Another adversity situation we had to contend with besides all the other general fishers in this backwater river channel as it was a chain of boats for awhile with everyone working up & down the banks.  Before we had arrived, during and after this river channel was being worked over hard.

We were able to get away from the masses eventually since our vessels can get into skinnier water. Not big numbers here as the day before, combined we got 16 largies and X amount of bowfin & some pike of course.  hella bowfin back in them waters...

1 bowfin got me so wrapped up on a submerged tree, I mean it wrapped-wrapped me up bad. No way no how was that fish or me untangling that mess underwater.  I spent awhile fartin around with that fish but thank goodness for flippin sticks and 65# braid.  I luckily was able to power that tree up and grab it.  I got the fish released, line unwrapped and I was back in business.  No doubt the worst wrap up I’ve ever had.

After we got out of the backwater river channel we ran into the same foot deep low water situation but I knew there was some deeper water in spots in this back area that I’ve been before.  So we struggled, ran agound many times again and slowly navigated the low water stump field to get to those areas and picked up some fish there.

The overall size class of fish were smaller than other times in both backwaters but those other times didn’t have this crazy low water conditions either.  In the last few years I’ve been to these particular backwaters, I’ve not seen conditions so painfully low before.

It was no doubt an awesome trip both days even with all the adversity we faced.  Sometimes the adversity is what makes it more memorable, especially when you overcome it and still succeed. 

robinson2.jpg

robinson2-001.jpg

robinson2-002.jpg

• Like 6

Nice Job Guys -

Really Great to see you back at it.

Definitely worked hard for them but you got some nice ones

Congrats

A-Jay

• Like 1

Appreciate it A!!  gonna be a much better season this round ;)

Once again its that time here finally & this thread will contain the entirety of reports within my 2015 Season as before.

Our inland lakes don’t open until May 9th so Mr P & I headed out to the Mississippi backwaters last weekend.

Well day 1 after setting up camp we hit the water a bit after 12:00.  We get on the water and shove off and 2 things went south.  1st was I noticed my TM had no power, missing a couple gears and the power I had was like 2 speed, could hardly buck a fart in the wind.  So I head back to the dock, grab tools, rip the TM head apart and all looks okay.  I know what the issue is, speed controller failure once again.

Regardless I put it back together and head out, not going to quit and just do what I have to do to with limping along through the day.

2nd issue right off is the waters in the backwaters are EXTREMELY low, really it was mudmotor territory.  If you didn’t have polarized glasses to navigate your way to find a few inches of more depth in spots just to get through, you were really going to have a bad time.  Even at that, I can not count how many times him & I ran aground.  Basically had to have the TM set high as hell where part of the prop was out of the water to get through these areas.

Seeing what were seeing, we know that under the water conditions we needed to find any deeper water and/or moving water to find fish.  The vast majority, like 98% of the water was unfishable and/or unable to navigate.

Not to mention, rain came in right away and both of us in our haste to get on the water forgot to grab the rain gear out of the truck.  So we got wet and a bit chilled on top of it all but conditions improved later on and the rain stopped.

As far as the fishing, one spot we found deeper water and got on some fish, then we found the other, moving water in a river channel and found them stacked.  Not a lot of big class of fish this round but definitely numbers.  Somewhere around 45+ fish with the biggest running 3.83#’s.

Even with all the adversity we faced we it was a successful day 1 of 2.

Mississippi%2520Backwaters%2520with%2520

holy go 2 war, what did it weigh. looks larger than a football?

• Like 1

it was 3.83#'s, decent fish for in these backwaters...

Great start Darryl! You and Mr. P laid the smackdown on those backwaters. Glad to see this thread back. Looking forward to your froggin and punching this season!

• Like 1

thanks my friend, its definitely gonna be ON this season  :Ninja1:

• Like 1

Those are some chunks,god job!

• Like 1

Went out today for Minnesota's 1st ever early season C&R opener.  They opened C&R for bass to coincide with eye and pike opener.  So I can target them 2 weeks earlier then before.

It was actually a tougher day out there for me than i expected.  2 things hampered me, filamentous algae all over coating most of he bottom, in the water column and stuck on veg.  Curly pondweed was thick and takes over areas, tough to fish that crap as thick as it gets, just chokes out areas bad.  Probably the worst of it was the algae, made throwing the jig very limited since it gets wrapped up like a mummy once it hits the bottom. the largies were in spawn out there and seen many BIG brute females around beds today, i'll have a date with them another day when they are done...

But all is good as it was a beaut if a day and was pure sweetness to float one of my lakes again after the long freeze. To top it off for my 2015 inland lake opener/1st C&R season I also managed to get my 1st 4+ pounder @ 4.14#'s to start it off with (1st pic below)...one of the other fish weighed up 3.99#'s...

C%2526Ropener5915-003.jpg

C%2526Ropener5915-004.jpg

C%2526Ropener5915-005.jpg

C%2526Ropener5915.jpg

• Like 3

Really Nice FATTIES ~

Congrats

But the way, we both say the same thing when we miss one . . . .

:eyebrows:

A-Jay

• Like 1

Beautiful chunks of piscatorial goodness!

• Like 1

Nice work, Frog!

• Like 1

It's time again for the adventures of Frog Turd and Mr. P! Hey Darryl, I hit the early opener up north in MN and had a great day catching 27 largies! Mostly males guarding fry. I couldn't believe they were already guarding but I saw fry swimming about. I hit a small lake on purpose hoping they would be more active since it warms up quicker. No 4 pounders for me but I'm no Frog Turd! I did get a 3.5 pounder though so I'm getting there. Thanks again for your vids!

• Like 1

Great start to the year, Mr. Turds. 

• Like 1

Awesome to see you at it Darryl! I wish nothing but the best for you this season and I'll be watching it unfold on here. 

• Like 1

I appreciate all the good words fella's!! :)  

I was out yesterday, tough conditions with blue birdie skies and very glassy...my waters are still quite clear as well and the usual exorcist pea soup isn't in effect yet...I picked up 15 fish with the big fish of the day @ 5.31#'s on the jig...

52215c%252526r-005.jpg

52215c%252526r.jpg

• Like 7

Seems you made the best of the "tough" conditions!

Jeff

• Like 1

By the way, is the jig you are using a A-Jay jig/punch rig setup?

Jeff

Great start to a new piggy season.

• Like 1

Nice Darryl! Way to break the 5# mark. On to the 6's!

• Like 1

By the way, is the jig you are using a A-Jay jig/punch rig setup?

Jeff

no, actually its an Outkast RTX jig...been using the Outkast jigs forever and switched from the RT to the RTX that has a heavier 5/0 mustad meathook on it...the RT's i would bend them in time, especially setting the hook on them pesky log bass...

Ahhh. The dreaded log bass. Haha. That vegetation looks like it is calling the A-Jay jig! Completely weedless setup!

Jeff

• Like 2

Very Nice Job my Friend ~

And thank you very much for the dedication . . . .

I definitely needed the motivation.

Congrats

A-Jay

• Like 2