Sign in to follow this  
Frog Turds

Positive On Minn Kota Battery Box Melted With New Tm?

I got a new 55# Minn Kota Endura TM with digital mazimizer to replace my old one.  Well first day out using it last weekend the plastic around the positive terminal on the outside of the Minn Kota Battery box party melted. Fortunately I have another Minn Kota battery box top so I replace it with that one.  I go out today and the TM tripped the 60amp fuse twice while on the water with that one now. So something is heating up/current issue...

I'm thinking theres something wrong with my new Trolling Motor why I've had issues the both times and the only 2 times I've used it.  

Brand new motor? If your wire size is correct, call Minn kota and troubleshoot with them. The motor has a warranty

Heat is caused by resistance.  Resistance is caused by current going through something that doesn't have the conductivity to handle it.  The lack of enough conductivity is caused by too small of a conductor, or poor connection.   

The first box melting around the positive terminal connection sounds like a dirty/loose connection.  Something very common when trying to use wing nuts finger tightened (because that's convenient) instead of hex nuts tightened with a wrench.  Using steel washers on high current applications will generate lots of heat because steel is a poor conductor and works just like a resistor.

One the second box could be also be a loose/dirty connection at the circuit breaker or bad breaker.  Circuit breakers work on heat, if there is a loose/dirty connection on the cables fastened to it, they generated heat and is passed on inside the breaker.  It thinks it's overloaded and trips.  Or the breaker could just not be able to handle what it's rated for, assuming the second box has a 60 amp breaker that's needed for that motor.

As these new TM's get bigger and bigger, the current demands are getting very high.  Not much of the older stuff is capable of handling it.  Plus, people have been used to the older stuff they can just connect and go.  That ain't the case with these bigger motors, the cable have to be larger, and the connections have to be very clean and tight, or they will melt things.

• Like 1

Heat is caused by resistance.  Resistance is caused by current going through something that doesn't have the conductivity to handle it.  The lack of enough conductivity is caused by too small of a conductor, or poor connection.   

The first box melting around the positive terminal connection sounds like a dirty/loose connection.  Something very common when trying to use wing nuts finger tightened (because that's convenient) instead of hex nuts tightened with a wrench.  Using steel washers on high current applications will generate lots of heat because steel is a poor conductor and works just like a resistor.

One the second box could be also be a loose/dirty connection at the circuit breaker or bad breaker.  Circuit breakers work on heat, if there is a loose/dirty connection on the cables fastened to it, they generated heat and is passed on inside the breaker.  It thinks it's overloaded and trips.  Or the breaker could just not be able to handle what it's rated for, assuming the second box has a 60 amp breaker that's needed for that motor.

Here you go. Check your wiring size and clean/tighten connections.......Al

I appreciate all the input, I took the TM back today & exchanged it out...So I'll see if the same issue arises again with tripping the 60 amp breaker on the box...If it does then I will call Minn Kota and see if theres something up with their boxes and new motors...because the newest Minn Kota battery box I got is only 2 years old, this would have been my 3rd season with it...the one that i'm using now is 6 years old i believe...

I appreciate all the input, I took the TM back today & exchanged it out...So I'll see if the same issue arises again with tripping the 60 amp breaker on the box...If it does then I will call Minn Kota and see if theres something up with their boxes and new motors...because the newest Minn Kota battery box I got is only 2 years old, this would have been my 3rd season with it...the one that i'm using now is 6 years old i believe...

What size wire connects the battery box terminals to the battery terminals????

The first thing the crossed my mind is the wire size running from your battery to the TM.  Depending on the length of your boat, it needs to be at least size 8, and preferably, size 6.

The TM is hooked directly to the Minn Kota battery box using the stock wires.  I'll have to look at what wiring inside the box that goes to the battery box terminals but should be proper gauge since the box is a Minn Kota product.  Never over the years using the my old MK box, which is the one i'm reusing again now after melting the newer MK box did I ever trip the 60 amp breaker even once.    

Then I get the new TM & problems right off...The melting of the newer box and tripping of the 60amp breaker 2-3x on the old box during 1 outing which all happened using the TM full speed.

I'll see if the new exchanged TM does the same thing, if so then there may be a compatibility issue with the new MK TM's & their MK battery boxes not handling the current...