Brett Strohl

Can You Catch Burbot By Drop Shotting Soft Plastics?

I'm just curious.  I fish a lake sometimes that I know has burbot and I'd love to catch one, but I'm trying to think of a way to fish for them on a second pole so I don't have to worry that I'm wasting my time all day ;)

Whenever I see or hear of guys targeting Burbot, they are fishing dead baits on bottom. Also, I hear that night time is the best time to get them, as they become more active

Here is an interesting read  about them. It seems to indicate that they eat a variety of  food so a drop shot might be possible. Good luck

Awesome thanks so much!

Now that I've been doing some research I'm not 100% sure if what I saw was a burbot or a bowfin, but it is in a 70ft lake so I'm sure it could have been either.  The pictures of Bowfin seem to have small scales, but the fish I saw had very large scales that made it look almost prehistoric.  Well hopefully I'll catch one next time and I can figure it out ;)

Burbot have skin with no scales and are pretty much only in deep cold lakes and rivers in the northern 3rd of the US and in most of Canada, so I dont think that you saw was a Burbot.