Sign in to follow this  
Balshy Fishing

Sebile Flat Belly Walker

Has anybody had luck with this lure? I'm trying to figure out the best time and place to use it. For whatever reason, I've had terrible luck with topwater!

I generally use walking baits early in the morning or as the sun goes down. If you still have zero luck, throw what you know they will eat. After all I would prefer to catch 1 bass on a jig than zero on topwater. Good Luck!

Never used a top water before tonight. I tossed this one into some weeds/dead trees/brush just before sundown. I got 3 'hits' with big splashes but the bass didn't take the bait, as it were. I've got some better locations in mind that I'll be trying soon, Lily pads, high grass etc.

I'm a big fan of topwater fishing personally, and the best tip I can give is to NOT quickly react to a topwater hit like you would a bottom contact bait. Let the fish slam it, pause, then set the hook. When i fish with people that are new to topwater the rookie mistake is to set the hook to quickly with too stiff of a rod. 

Sometimes the splash comes before the actual bite, so if you're jumpy on the hookset you'll pull the bait right out of their mouth before they take it. 

Like Sea Salt said, early morning and before sundown are great times to toss topwater. If you got calm water through the day, don't be afraid to toss topwtaer all afternoon. I've caught plenty of topwater fish all throughout the day. Morning/evening is just a suggestion, not the rule. 

When i'm topwater fishing I start shallow and work my way out. If i'm getting strikes in 1-2 feet of water, i'll stay shallow.. if i'm getting nothing I'll work my way deeper. Fish will hit topwater in 5+ feet of water. I've gotten topwater strikes in 10 feet of open water before. My "method" is to stat at the shoreline and work my way out. 

Ripping topwater baits over points or weed beds is always a winning formula for me. 

Thanks everybody! There's a lot of milfoil & hydrilla where I fish and it often floats on the top and I get so annoyed having to clean it off the trebles! I'll keep it going though 

I got this one in my MTB box, and I actually really like it.  It sits in the water at an angle, which is kind of unique, and it looks exactly like a big frog in the water.  I was actually pretty surprised it retails at only $6 when it seems better constructed than similar sized lures like spooks.    

The thing I have an issue with is at about 3oz it hits the water extremely hard.  So is that going to scare fish when I throw it near cover? 

• Like 1

Nobody else has used this one? =(

I just received a live target walking frog in the mail (by accident, but I'm keeping it and just reordering what I'd originally wanted) and it's very similar except it sits in the water straight up and down.  I'd prefer it sat at an angle like the flat belly walker, but it's also lighter so it's not going to make that huge obnoxious splash the flat belly walker does.  It will be interesting to see which one does better with catching fish.  

I have a feeling the flat belly walker is going to just be too large for any bass under 2lbs, and unfortunately for me there aren't many aggressive feeding 2lb+ bass where I fish.  

I got this one in my MTB box, and I actually really like it.  It sits in the water at an angle, which is kind of unique, and it looks exactly like a big frog in the water.  I was actually pretty surprised it retails at only $6 when it seems better constructed than similar sized lures like spooks.    

The thing I have an issue with is at about 3oz it hits the water extremely hard.  So is that going to scare fish when I throw it near cover?

I love them. They work well. I got one in my mtb as well. It was bigger than I wanted it to be. But I still caught 2 on it today. It walks perfectly. I like most of sebile's baits. And the majority of the "action first" series.

Were they cut the cost is in the hooks. They hooks will outright break if you snag hard cover...rather than bend out. Otherwise