THE_Vue's

My Parked Car Just Got Rear Ended

Here's what happened a drunk turd hit my 05 Honda Pilot while it was parked outside. I was spending time with my family. We were inside till we heard a loud crash out side. We immediately called the cops and they came shortly after. Also they don't have any insurance. I want to know what we or the insurance will do. I've taken some photo's and want to know if this is repairable or what will happen to us and if this has happen to someone please speak out your experience and tip you can provide for us. Btw we do have full coverage.

I greatly appreciate thanks

IMAG3053_zpsjlijzkjx.jpg

File a claim with your insurance company. That gets everything settled to your satisfaction in a timely manner. Then your insurance's lawyers can go after the turd to recoup their money.

I filed with my insurance when a turd suddenly turned in front of my wife in our new truck and it was totaled in a head-on. I got a full payoff from my insurance company in just over two weeks, plus the cost of my rental until I purchased a new truck, plus the payments for the wife to go to a chiropractor. It took my insurance company's lawyers over a year to collect from the other guy's insurance.

Here is the deal.

You have Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist coverages on your auto policy.

The insurance company will want you to file a claim using your collision and overturn deductible.

The deductible for Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is a lot less.

Try to get the insurance adjuster to put the claim under Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage after you read your policy and what that part of the policy says about the coverage.

And remember, you know who hit you so when you do the insurance company can subrogate against him.

And get your carrier to agree to let you get a loaner car until your car is repaired.

Word of Caution: The level of adjuster you will speak with will have no idea about Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage. The clerk in your agent's office will not have any idea, either. So read your policy and decide if that is the way to go depending on your collision deductible and any UM assumption mentioned in the policy.

Get ready for a fight. Try to move up the ladder of claims adjusters until you find one with some experience and brains.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Everyone is right.  With no fault insurance your insurance company pays your claim.  The deductible is waived in the case of the other driver being at fault, which it is.   There really isn't much more to it after the police report and the filing of the claim.

From a repair standpoint pictures don't show everything, can't visually see if there is any under carriage damage.  The collision and the adjuster will know exactly what needs to be done.  From my untrained eye it looks worse than it is, what ever the cost you'e not going to pay.  There is only thing I can think of to be concerned, the cost of the repair exceeds the value of the car.  If so it's going to be totaled out and you get bluebook, that is worse case scenario.

• Like 3

I had my truck backed into several years ago.  The other driver (insured and sober) hung around until I got back to it.  We exchanged information, and within 48 hours his insurance company called me.  I was told to get an estimate, had an adjuster visit, was given a free loaner, and three weeks later all was cured.

At the very worst, the OP may have to take the turd to court to recoup any out of pocket expenses.  If the responding LEO did the cuff and stuff routine with the drunk, then I would be going to court when the man goes to trial.  You want the judge to order full restitution for any damages.

When mine got hit in the parking lot of my house the driver was 19, uninsured, no drivers license, and left the scene. I am not sure if you state has it but Maryland has a uninsured motorist plan where the money is paid from then the insurance company goes after the other party to recoup the cost. All repairs, and rental car was paid in full thru this plan. After 2 years not a dime of it was recovered by the insurance company.

When mine got hit in the parking lot of my house the driver was 19, uninsured, no drivers license, and left the scene. I am not sure if you state has it but Maryland has a uninsured motorist plan where the money is paid from then the insurance company goes after the other party to recoup the cost. All repairs, and rental car was paid in full thru this plan. After 2 years not a dime of it was recovered by the insurance company.

In all likelihood, you, as well as any and all residents of the state of Maryland paid for you repairs!!

Here are some things that you will want to make sure the adjuster looks at, especially the mechanical things. The 05 Pilot is a uni-body, the undercarriage will have to be straightened, the rear quarter panel will have to be cut out just below the glass all the way to the side rear door (from the picture it appears that the quarter panel is buckled all the way to the window frame so they may have to remove it to the roof, if possible), the side rear door opening was probably compromised as well, of course the tail gate, bumper, all associated hangers and supporting metal replaced, plus the tail light assembly these things are the minimum and doesn't count any mechanical damage or interior pieces that will have to be replaced. Additionally if your car is a 4wd the drive shaft, rear transfer casing etc needs inspection, the rear wheel assembly has probably been compromised as well. Hondas utilize a rear wheel assembly that has the adjustment for alignment built in, that little piece of metal is easily damaged all the Hondas I've seen have this piece built in so the entire assembly has to be replaced. Unfortunately i think you're looking at a total loss. Sorry

Here are some things that you will want to make sure the adjuster looks at, especially the mechanical things. The 05 Pilot is a uni-body, the undercarriage will have to be straightened, the rear quarter panel will have to be cut out just below the glass all the way to the rear door (from the picture it appears that the quarter panel is buckled all the way to the window frame so they may have to remove it to the roof, if possible), the rear door opening was probably compromised as well, of course the tail gate, bumper, all associated hangers and supporting metal replaced, plus the tail light assembly these things are the minimum and doesn't count any mechanical damage or interior pieces that will have to be replaced. Additionally if your car is a 4wd the drive shaft, rear transfer casing etc needs inspection, the rear wheel assembly has probably been compromised as well. Hondas utilize a rear wheel assembly that has the adjustment for alignment built in, that little piece of metal is easily damaged all the Hondas I've seen have this piece built in so the entire assembly has to be replaced. Unfortunately i think you're looking at a total loss. Sorry

Holy cow! That would really blow to have to total the vehicle from that but like you pointed out, with the amount of possible unseen damage, could be bad??!!

Holy cow! That would really blow to have to total the vehicle from that but like you pointed out, with the amount of possible unseen damage, could be bad??!!

I rear ended a guy a few years ago. Caused 5k worth of damage to my car , and I was only going 10mph. After doing auto body repair in a past life. I can tell you two things. One I will never own a car that requires full coverage again. Second today's cars are not worth fixing it. Once it has some sort of frame damage. You might get it fixed, but it will not drive the same afterwords.

• Like 1

I rear ended a guy a few years ago. Caused 5k worth of damage to my car , and I was only going 10mph. After doing auto body repair in a past life. I can tell you two things. One I will never own a car that requires full coverage again. Second today's cars are not worth fixing it. Once it has some sort of frame damage. You might get it fixed, but it will not drive the same afterwords.

Shocking!

Good luck. 2 instances of relevance from a schadenfreude perspective:

1) My truck got into an accident at 2 am only for me to discover the next morning as I go to leave for work. It was car #8 in a 9 car, 1 metal gate, 4 bushes, 1 concrete bench, 1 palm tree, 2 curb, not necessarily in that order incident in the parking lot of my condo when an 83 year old lady decided to get her drink on that only ended when her cracked engine block ran out of oil and seized up. Surprisingly, the engine didn't seize up until AFTER she'd lost one wheel, and I do mean wheel not tire. 

Her insurance covered everything and was all around great.

2) My wife's car got rear ended in front of the police station while stopped at a traffic light on her way to get yeast for pizza dough. The officer collected the insurance of the driver I allege to be at fault, but did not issue him a ticket for whatever God know's reason. Turns out, the guy's insurance was not active which we got IN A LETTER from his insurance agency. We took this to the police and they did not act on it.

We ended up having to pay the deductible to get her car fixed.

I work at an auto body shop I'm a collision technician that looks totaled

Here's what happened a drunk turd hit my 05 Honda Pilot while it was parked outside. I was spending time with my family. We were inside till we heard a loud crash out side. We immediately called the cops and they came shortly after. Also they don't have any insurance. I want to know what we or the insurance will do. I've taken some photo's and want to know if this is repairable or what will happen to us and if this has happen to someone please speak out your experience and tip you can provide for us. Btw we do have full coverage.

I greatly appreciate thanks

IMAG3053_zpsjlijzkjx.jpg

What's the verdict? Did the insurance total it?

I was already here so I mind as well update this since I also wanted to see this picture and compare it with this recent accident of April 16 2019.  So the vehicle was not totaled.  The other drier did not have insurance I did have to pay my deductible and I did receive my deductible back somehow.  Guessing the owner must of paid us back.  Total in all shy of $7000 dollars.  

Ok today same damage on same side.  Will keep yall posted 5 years later 😂 

• Haha 1

Have the body shop take this off the back of your rig......

20190416_212031.png.aa274bc574329d3d9dd85d13232902ef.png

:smiley:

A-Jay 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, A-Jay said:

Have the body shop take this off the back of your rig......

20190416_212031.png.aa274bc574329d3d9dd85d13232902ef.png

:smiley:

A-Jay 

My Tundra was hit 6 times over the 10 years I had it. It was either parked or stopped at an intersection every single time. Last time it was hit was just about a year ago. It was 7 am and no one on the road but a motorcycle. I was stopped at an intersection waiting for the motorcycle to pass. Well, he passed right into the drivers side of the truck. Damage to the drivers door, rear door and bed. No insurance and no drivers license.

6 hours ago, slonezp said:

My Tundra was hit 6 times over the 10 years I had it. It was either parked or stopped at an intersection every single time. Last time it was hit was just about a year ago. It was 7 am and no one on the road but a motorcycle. I was stopped at an intersection waiting for the motorcycle to pass. Well, he passed right into the drivers side of the truck. Damage to the drivers door, rear door and bed. No insurance and no drivers license.

People are crazy

A-Jay 

Word of caution for future reference.  Never enter into a civil compromise with another driver when a collision is involved, insured or not, without a police report/collision report. An uninsured driver should or will loose their license until any damages are compensated for and if they are insured a police report goes along way in mitigating the " shared liability " that so many insurance carriers look to take advantage of.  Sorry about what you had to go through.

I'll basically mirror what everyone else said. There is enough damage there that it will be cheaper even in the long run to go through insurance (even if they were to find you at fault and raise your rates).

Last year, I took my youngest son to a piano lesson, and on the way out, I witnessed someone hit my car, which was parked. He then started to drive off slowly, so I yelled "aren't you going to stop?" and he floored it. I called the police, they arrived on the scene within 30 seconds, put out an alert on the radio and within two minutes they had found the guy. I was sure he didn't have insurance and was driving illegally or wasted -- some sort of drug charge did some from it, but he did have insurance. I still had to go two months without a car and his insurance, Geico for what it's worth (completely illegally) refused to cover a loaner.

At one point, I was rear ended 4 times in a 2 year period, 3 of which were at a stop sign or red light. It took me several years to not look into my rear view mirror everytime I stopped at a stop sign or red light, half expecting to get rear ended again every single time.

About 30 years ago I was hit 3 times in six months. First two times I was making a left and the person that hit me ran the lights. Third time someone hit me while I was parked in a lot. I took the car to the same shop all three times because I knew the owner. After the third  hit he told me to get rid of the car because the car can only be fixed so many times before you start seeing problems. 

Happened to me at my son's piano lesson. I was outside talking to the store owner and someone hits my car and started to drive off slightly. I run towards the road and yell hey aren't you gonna stop? And he floors it. The cops did pick the guy up. They said there was no DWI but a drug charge, whatever that means.

WP_20170223_21_48_29_Pro.jpg?psid=1&width=1885&height=1060