Sign in to follow this  
AStrummerNamedJoe

Bent Rod Guide

Hi everyone,

I just bought a new Avid online and I noticed that the rod guide on the tip seems to be slightly bent. I have attached pictures but it's kind of hard to see that it's bent.  Will this affect the rod in any way?

Thanks for looking!

492.jpg

493.jpg

It won't effect the performance much if at all but if it really bothers you. You can heat it alittle bit and twist it straight.

Personally if leave it. Especially if your worried about putting a flame to it.

you should be good to go. If your casting doesn't seem right then address it. that's the thing about ordering online is that the guides can get kinda banged up.

I can't tell from the pic whether the tip top (that's the tech name for the tip guide) is deformed or whether it was put on slightly crooked.  If it's crooked, you can heat up the barrel of the guide with a lighter and adjust its position.  If it was deformed you can often bend it back into shape with needle nose pliers.  In any case, it won't have any effect on your casting to leave it as is - but I know stuff like this can bug a guy..

I would not try to bend it while it is on the rod, too easy to break the blank.  If you want to remove it or if  it is out of alignment and you try to fix it you should know the right way to heat it.  It does not take much heat, just a  lighter beside the barrel WHILE PROVIDING A PULLING FORCE TO REMOVE IT.  IT WILL COME FREE WHEN THE ADHESIVE RELEASES IT AND YOU STOP THE HEAT RIGHT THEN.

Not a problem at all performance wise. If it's new you can probably swap it for another one, but personally I'd leave it be. 

I just bend a paper clip, hook the tiptop, provide the force, and then apply the heat.  If it doesn't come free in a few seconds, take the heat away as it is probably epoxied on, and that is a problem that I would take to a pro builder if you still want to fix it.  To reinstall, if there is not enough adhesive still on the blank, use any hot melt adhesive, heat the stick, rub a little on the blank, and slide the tiptop on while the adhesive is still liquid, rotate into alignment before it sets up. 

Or, best of all, if it doesn't bug you, leave it alone.

In this case there is also epoxy on the tip. The extra heat needed is more chance to damage the tip and messy the finish left behind will look worse than the slightly off kilter tip top. Mick's advice is spot on if you ever need to replace a top though.