Sign in to follow this  
illinifan4152

Blade Bait Setup

I've been doing some research on blade baits and wanted to hear everyone's suggestions on setups? Spinning or casting? Bait size? 1/4 or 1/2 oz? Line size? Techniques on working the wait? Structure you like to fish it around?

I really appreciate the responses in advance!

I use a 7' Deep South chatterbait rod with a 6:? Gear ratio reel usually a curado, atleast 14lb line usually cxx p-line and fish them where I would use a spinnerbait or shallow crankbait and along grass/lillypad outside edges

By blade baits I assume he means things like Silver Buddies, not bladed jigs so....I use spinning for 1/4oz baits, anything larger will go with BC. Line is whatever is on them already which is usually 8lb or 12lb flouro, no reason other than its already on there.

Usually use it on flats or dropoffs where we find fish holding using a yo/yo method. Let it hit bottom, lift it quickly and let it drop. The amount of lift varies, try different amounts and cadences until you find what gets bit.

On the Tidal Potomac I use 1/2oz Silver Buddy in silver, or gold baits on a MH 6'6" baitcaster with 14lb BPS Flouro.  The bait is "burped" off the bottom where there is no grass.  Adding split rings is important for hook ups.

I use baitcaster for 1/2-oz. and larger, and spinning for anything under 1/2-oz. With baitcasters, I've found the Loomis spinnerbait rod (SBR812) to be absolutely perfect for this type fishing. Pair it with 10-12# fluorocarbon and a 6:1 or 7:1 reel and you're good to go. With spinning I use braid with a fluoro leader, usually 8-10# for the lighter weight baits. I also prefer a slightly shorter rod since I'm more vertical-like fishing the smaller sizes, and frequently in somewhat shallower water, something between 6-6.5' in med action. As to where, any type structural feature is fair game along with steeper banks and the like. Retrieve is something you have to play with, though some type of simple lift and drop is the most common retrieve.

-T9

• Like 1

Thank you all for the responses. And yes I should have been more specific, not blades jigs but blade baits.

Awesome video. Sums up exactly what I was looking for! Thanks A-Jay!

• Like 1