HoosierHawgs

(Un)official Hoosiers Thread

1,192 posts in this topic

The results just got in, we placed 22nd out of 98 boats and the winning bag was three fish for 7.99 pounds.  How do you guys fish when there is so many boats that you are always fishing in water that has already been stirred up over and over all day?  Any tips on how to catch bass in way overpressured conditions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good job 👏 

 

my tips:

 

1. Make your first spot count. It's likely to be the only unpressured water you'll get.

2. Get your bait into places or other spots others aren't, or retrieve at angles others don't.

3. Use baits others aren't using, even if they don't seem like the best or most appropriate.

4. Always have some backup stuff that most others likely don't know about that you can go to after a few hours. This is almost always submerged breaks and/or break lines, whether shallow or deep. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just start fishing in the other boats livewells...i have this debate all the time in my boat.  All my friends think I catch more fish because I fish in the front of the boat.  I've offered many times to trade them places it's all about making good casts and good decisions.  Old rather make one good cast a t a dock then 2 alright casts.  Learn to break down cover better then the other guys and never be afraid to slow down.  I find more and more people want to what they call power fish which i call race fishing.  Its always funny because my buddies in the back of the boat always want to cast way in front of the boat to beat me to a dock (race fishing) and instead of making a good cast from a good angle they get two poor casts at a good dock.  I always laugh then make one good cast sometimes two at better angles and usually end up with fish which then I hear well it's because ur in the front I always smile and offer them to come control the trolling motor which always gets turned down.  Just remember with that many boats ur always batting clean up.  Fish it like the guy in the back of the boat should

4 hours ago, IndianaFinesse said:

The results just got in, we placed 22nd and the winning bag was three fish for 7.99 pounds.  How do you guys fish when there is so many boats that you are always fishing in water that has already been stirred up over and over all day?  Any tips on how to catch bass in way overpressured conditions?

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well said dsqui and 99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the tips T-9 and dsqui, I will try those in the next tournament.  

Heading to Brookville for the next tournament on April 23rd, does anyone have any reports out of there or know what the water temperature is?  Will the be spawning yet, and if not what depth would you expect them to be in, and is the upper end for largemouth or lower end for smallies usually better?  Any general areas or hot techniques for Brookville would also be greatly appreciated.  Pm me if you guys have any info, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure about Brookville but up here in NEcorner the walleye aren't done yet so it'll be a bit before the bass start our water temp here today was 49.2º  not sure if that helps at all but I'm not sure where Brookville is so I'm assuming it's not close to me.  On a side note went out in the wind and light rain this morning and managed 3 bonus  walleye can anyone say lunch time

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, dsqui said:

Not sure about Brookville but up here in NEcorner the walleye aren't done yet so it'll be a bit before the bass start our water temp here today was 49.2º 

South east side of Indiana, only a few miles away from the Ohio border. Water is 63 degrees on the west central side of Indy, should start spawning here soon.  Brookville is very deep, so it will warm up slower than other lakes.  Looked around but haven't found any water temperature reports out of there online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IndianaFinesse said:

South east side of Indiana, only a few miles away from the Ohio border. Water is 63 degrees on the west central side of Indy, should start spawning here soon.  Brookville is very deep, so it will warm up slower than other lakes.  Looked around but haven't found any water temperature reports out of there online.

Try myfishfinder.com there is an indiana board there may be someone there more familiar

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, IndianaFinesse said:

Thanks for the tips T-9 and dsqui, I will try those in the next tournament.  

Heading to Brookville for the next tournament on April 23rd, does anyone have any reports out of there or know what the water temperature is?  Will the be spawning yet, and if not what depth would you expect them to be in, and is the upper end for largemouth or lower end for smallies usually better?  Any general areas or hot techniques for Brookville would also be greatly appreciated.  Pm me if you guys have any info, thanks.

Brookville is still two or three weeks away from the bass spawn. With the warm rain coming in it should help a little. I've been fishing the area this past weekend, temps around 45-50 F.

 

If anyone here likes to fly fish for trout, the Brookville tailwaters are on fire right now - incredible midge hatches and lots of healthy fish being caught. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I gotta give @Siebert Outdoors credit, they sure make a heck of swim jig. First time I've ever tried one was tonight, I caught 2-1 1/2 to 2 pound bass, then promptly threw it over a tree branch and broke the **** thing off:angry: went right back to siebert and ordered a replacement and 2 more! 

IMG_0885.JPG

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully headed up to Turtle Creek Resevoir Friday. I knkw there are some absolute giants in there. 1 over 10 lb was caught there last year. And i believe 600 over 24 inches. Im stoked! I will be fishing with my grandpa who knows the lake like the back of his hand and is retired from the power plant and has access to employee only areas.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, CroakHunter said:

Hopefully headed up to Turtle Creek Resevoir Friday. I knkw there are some absolute giants in there. 1 over 10 lb was caught there last year. And i believe 600 over 24 inches. Im stoked! I will be fishing with my grandpa who knows the lake like the back of his hand and is retired from the power plant and has access to employee only areas.

Make sure to post some pictures and have a good time with your grandpa. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went out yesterday managed quite a few bass with three bonus walleye water temp was up to 50º all bass were caught on Rocky Sandy bottoms on points

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made my first wade the other day. Lots of smallie action on small paddletails including one 18 incher. Water was 60 deg. so not bad on bare legs.  Life is good again!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, The Bassman said:

Made my first wade the other day. Lots of smallie action on small paddletails including one 18 incher. Water was 60 deg. so not bad on bare legs.  Life is good again!

Took a wade through some headwaters this weekend and slayed the white bass on a small paddletail as well. Good time to be out in the water! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, OddChase said:

Took a wade through some headwaters this weekend and slayed the white bass on a small paddletail as well. Good time to be out in the water! 

 

It seems like every spring we get a spell of decent wading water followed by weeks of rain.  I try to seize it while I can.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to a stone quarry owned by a family friend today. Crystal clear water, 15' visibility. Fished around 6:00pm & caught 2 around 1.5lbs. 1 on a Basstrix paddle tail rigged on a 1/4oz swimbait hook & the other on a small Berkley Swim Shad (I think?). It was windy when we caught them. 20 minutes later the wind died so we had glass calm/ultra clear water & we couldn't get a bite. First fish I've ever caught on a swimbait of any kind, definitely boosted my confidence in them :) 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bass are starting to bed here, most of them aren't locked on yet but are staying very close by to swept out beds and come back within thirty seconds when spooked.  Water temperature is 67 degrees with two feet of visibility.  Got out yesterday for an hour and caught 9 bass sight fishing with half of a zinkerz. 

Crappie are also moving up onto the docks, the males anyways.  Last Saturday I caught a dozen crappie all over ten inches during the morning for a couple hours fishing docks with minnows, despite the water being stirred up by a tournament.  Females were still staging out on the first break into deeper water, but I left them alone since I was looking for a meal and would prefer to eat the males than the egg laden females.  

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The annual fishing trip with a group of friends is coming up beginning of April.  We camp and fish at the Green-Sullivan State Forest.  We always have a big fish fry at the end of the trip so the main focus is usually panfish.  There are plenty of strip pits everywhere in the area, with some of the more accessible/popular ones being Airline, Wampler, etc.. 

 

Was curious to see if any of you guys ever fish out that way and had any suggestions on which strip pits to possibly check out?

 

Thanks in advance! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2017 at 9:41 PM, BrianMRetter said:

Went to a stone quarry owned by a family friend today. Crystal clear water, 15' visibility. Fished around 6:00pm & caught 2 around 1.5lbs. 1 on a Basstrix paddle tail rigged on a 1/4oz swimbait hook & the other on a small Berkley Swim Shad (I think?). It was windy when we caught them. 20 minutes later the wind died so we had glass calm/ultra clear water & we couldn't get a bite. First fish I've ever caught on a swimbait of any kind, definitely boosted my confidence in them :) 

1.jpg

2.jpg

 

Now that my friend is the good life! Step out the back door and get to work. Wish I had that when the spouse is getting difficult (or maybe it was me).

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2017 at 9:41 PM, BrianMRetter said:

 First fish I've ever caught on a swimbait of any kind, definitely boosted my confidence in them :) 

 

Swimbaiting is pretty addictive! I'll have to pick up some different ones soon but I've caught a lot of fish on the KVD Swim'n Shad - they have a strong coffee scent that I've never had before on a bait and the bass seem to love it. Also it's nearly impossible to rig wrong on a screw-lock hook. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Friday off.  So I ran to the local motor vehicle bureau to get my little john boat registered so I can put numbers on it so I can go to Rockville Lake in Parke county and be legal while I use a trolling motor on it.  I only paid $50.00 for this john boat last year at a yard sale and it thing is super light and does not leak one bit.  

 

  I get there and there was only one or two other people doing business.  The girl behind the counter who is doing nothing says "Take a number!"  I look at her in bewilderment.  I'm basically the only person standing there and I have to take a number?  Whatever, I take one.  Then tell her I want to register my little john boat.  Nope!  I need a bill of sale and inspection from an officer.  So, I only paid $50 for this thing from a nice lady and her husband last year.  There was no bill of sale or title.  It's a little old john boat that suits me fine.  So here I go trying to be legal and trying to give the state of Indiana money but nope - I have to go jump thru hoops to get this thing registered.  So what am I suppose to do?  Go back to the house that I bought it from and have them sign the bill of sale?  seems stupid but I guess I'll have to do that.  Ridiculous.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What if someone stole your boat and got it registered without proof you sold it to them? Should the state make it easy for thieves that have no paperwork? 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Point taken.  Still, I only paid $50 for this and here I am wanting to be legal AND give money to the state to register the thing and now I have to do this extra work to register it.  There were numbers on the boat and I gave it to the lady and she ran them and nothing came up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, hoosierbass07 said:

Point taken.  Still, I only paid $50 for this and here I am wanting to be legal AND give money to the state to register the thing and now I have to do this extra work to register it.  There were numbers on the boat and I gave it to the lady and she ran them and nothing came up.  

Odd that nothing came up but I know until July of last year you didn't have to register a boat that was valued under $1000, but still seems weird because it would have to have been registered to have numbers?

 

maybe I'm wrong, I don't think they had to be titled. Still had to register them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    bass fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing reels



    fishing reels

    Fishing Tips

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fishing
    fish for bass
    fish