HoosierHawgs

(Un)official Hoosiers Thread

5 hours ago, Alan Reed said:

They are in the process of dropping the water at the rate of 6 inches to 1 ft a day. Hopefully things stabilize a few days before the tournament.

That's a TON of water, the current will be insane.  You may need to retrofit a 150hp onto your yak!

• Like 1

Just spent 3 hrs at a little 5 acre pond. Couldn't really put together a pattern. Stuck one on a jig right off the bat on the end of a lay down, had fish jumping out of the water on the bank after my lipless but couldn't get them to commit to it. Wife says lunch is ready then I am going back out of the rain holds off

Fishing is finally starting to heat up, even though the water isn't. Up to a little over 2 feet of clarity, usually the minimum clarity for a jerkbait bite, so I went out jerkbaiting yesterday and got 14 in about 2 hours.  Quality size class, 7 over 15" and the best weighing about 4.2.  They are starting to move towards the shallows a little, still on winter areas but moving towards the spawning areas a bit. 2-4 sec pause, in 8-10 feet of water and under.

• Like 3

Kentucky Lake was tough this weekend. The fish want to move up but they are dropping it 1ft a day cause it is still above summer pool.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Alan Reed said:

Kentucky Lake was tough this weekend. The fish want to move up but they are dropping it 1ft a day cause it is still above summer pool.

more like 2.5 inches a day, which is still an INSANE amount of water to be dumping into the TN river below the dam

ky-lake-dam.PNG

21 hours ago, IndianaFinesse said:

Fishing is finally starting to heat up, even though the water isn't. Up to a little over 2 feet of clarity, usually the minimum clarity for a jerkbait bite, so I went out jerkbaiting yesterday and got 14 in about 2 hours.  Quality size class, 7 over 15" and the best weighing about 4.2.  They are starting to move towards the shallows a little, still on winter areas but moving towards the spawning areas a bit. 2-4 sec pause, in 8-10 feet of water and under.

Good to hear.  I've let this cold weather put me on hold.  I love to fish but hate to be cold.

• Like 1

This Sunday looks like mid 50s, light wind. I'll probably head out in my kayak, first time getting off the bank this year.  Are the bass on main lake points leading into spawning coves yet? Or are they still pretty deep?

• Like 1

I was on a small lake/pond but, all of my bites and follows came from less than 10 feet of water near spawning coves close to wood. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CroakHunter said:

I was on a small lake/pond but, all of my bites and follows came from less than 10 feet of water near spawning coves close to wood. 

Thanks, @CroakHunter. I'm going to Whitewater which is only about 200 acres. I've never got the timing right when trying to fish the prespawn/spawn. I was thinking the prespawn might just now barely be starting, but it sounds like they're well on their way headed to the shallows.

54 minutes ago, BrianMRetter said:

Thanks, @CroakHunter. I'm going to Whitewater which is only about 200 acres. I've never got the timing right when trying to fish the prespawn/spawn. I was thinking the prespawn might just now barely be starting, but it sounds like they're well on their way headed to the shallows.

I believe some are. What they call the "first wave" I'm also way South of a lot of you guys so I may be a week or so ahead. I've also never times the spawn right where I could sight fish big ones. Plan to hit it right this year

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BrianMRetter said:

Hit the Eastern side of the lake, there's a couple points you can throw a jerk along or a jig and it should be protected from the slight winds. If you want to paddle all the way to the North where there are some sunken trees that also might be a good place to throw a jig but not sure how badly you want to catch a fish. Tight lines! 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2018 at 10:27 AM, BigBassLoveSenkos said:

more like 2.5 inches a day, which is still an INSANE amount of water to be dumping into the TN river below the dam

ky-lake-dam.PNG

That websites numbers are not correct. Here you can see here how fast it is dropping. And while I was out on the water it was noticeable how the water line in a wind protected area was well above the water level.

5056A782-62B3-4AB8-B0AA-C4F3B7634A34.png

211DD645-8F97-4F2C-90E0-39D58FA92A31.jpeg

Anybody ever notice a difference between catch rates of jerkbaits with feathered trebles and jerkbaits without feathered trebles . 

123951_8.jpg

Just got these pics from my mom's boyfriend. Him and my grandpa are fishing turtle creek from the bank today

123951_7.jpg

They both told me they wouldn't go fishing there unless I could go...they lied. At least maybe next time we will take one of their boats up there

• Like 2

I went out for a bit earlier today. I had some bites on a spinnerbait and had one hooked but it came off. Water looked about like chocolate milk. Things should be heating up here soon hopefully. 

• Like 2

Well my Sunday plans have (potentially) changed. My dad wants to try Summit Lake. I've been there once in fall and once in spring and got skunked both times. Anyone have any suggestions? I need to eliminate a lot of water since its 800 acres and we're in kayaks. 

Summit Lake Map.jpg

17 hours ago, Cole Richards said:

Anybody ever notice a difference between catch rates of jerkbaits with feathered trebles and jerkbaits without feathered trebles . 

I have noticed a difference in the early spring when the water is still cold that I get way more bites with a smaller body with the feathered tail vs the larger body with no feather.

I have never tried the same body size with and without the feathered tail.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Cole Richards said:

I was using a pointer 78DD with a rear dressed treble last weekend but didn't start catching them until I switched the dressed treble out with a bare treble.  I do very well with dressed trebles on j-baits and topwater once the water warms up.  It gives the fish something to target and is a great counter if they are short striking your bare-treble lure.

• Thanks 1

Arrived at KY Lake yesterday to prefish for KBF National Championship. First prefishing spot only took about 30 minutes to find my first toad!

1EE277F0-2087-4AF9-8750-E71656B0D09A.jpeg

• Like 7

Anybody ever fish Wawasee for smallmouth , I have heard they they are in there but have never seen many people going after them . 

I need the scoop on Brookville Lake. I heard it’s predominantly small mouth. What has worked well for anyone that has fished it? I’m thinking drop shot and Jerkbait..... any suggestions would be great 

On 3/19/2018 at 6:40 PM, Alan Reed said:

Arrived at KY Lake yesterday to prefish for KBF National Championship. First prefishing spot only took about 30 minutes to find my first toad!

I am really excited for you, Alan. Good luck!!! I would love to see a Hoosier bring home the trophy. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LxVE Bassin said:

I need the scoop on Brookville Lake. I heard it’s predominantly small mouth. What has worked well for anyone that has fished it? I’m thinking drop shot and Jerkbait..... any suggestions would be great 

Brookville is not necessarily known for their bass - Mostly a crappie, walleye, and catfish fishery. That being said, there are 2 bridges on the lake and the causeways to the sides tend to hold smallies during the day as the sun heats up the rocks and gets the crayfish moving. The North side of the lake sees more bass action (i.e. Hanna's Creek and Ellys Creek) all the way up to the river mouth which has a lot of structure. If you are wanting to catch bass and have a boat with an electric motor, I would opt for Whitewater State Park (it spills into Brookville on the North side), it's a fun little lake and little to no bass pressure. 

• Like 1

48 degree water temp here on one of our small lakes. Friend caught them on a squarebill, keitech, and scrounger. 

• Like 1

So who’s looking forward to 4-7 inches of snow :annoyed1: