• Like 2

3 hours ago, frosty said:

You guys better get up, it’s starting!

2D649FD8-7024-4A76-AB4B-6371DC5263C6.jpeg

Is that one of them there "popper stoppers?" 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CroakHunter said:

Is that one of them there "popper stoppers?" 

Uh... yes! Definitely get the popper stopper, never the whopper plopper, those things are junk! The popper stopper was working for most of the morning! 

4E0C5E4E-C38E-4E1A-9EE4-2088C473616A.jpeg

• Like 1

I got a few on a "monkey butt" plopper tonight as well

• Like 1

Caught a good number of largemouth today on some top water on the fly rod. Great time to get out and go fishing. 

• Like 2

Well fellas,

After a little of a hiatus, I'm back! School at Alabama was great but glad to be back in Indy for awhile. Have caught a few fish in the last few days but nothing amazing, the fish are just starting to bed so they are not so interested in eating, have to really work for them!

Also, to all the Hoosiers that have contributed to this thread, thank you! I had no idea when I created this thread it would go so far.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, HoosierHawgs said:

Well fellas,

After a little of a hiatus, I'm back! School at Alabama was great but glad to be back in Indy for awhile. Have caught a few fish in the last few days but nothing amazing, the fish are just starting to bed so they are not so interested in eating, have to really work for them!

Also, to all the Hoosiers that have contributed to this thread, thank you! I had no idea when I created this thread it would go so far.

Did you get spoiled fishing in Alabama??? Glad you’re back!

4 minutes ago, frosty said:

Did you get spoiled fishing in Alabama??? Glad you’re back!

I wish! I really didn't do much as I didn't have room to take my gear or much time to go fishing. That said this year I am bringing my gear, and if I can get an on campus job my truck (and I'm going to buy a kayak to fish Lakes Nicol and Harris). I did get to do some hiking at both lakes and they were absolutely amazing views!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HoosierHawgs said:

I wish! I really didn't do much as I didn't have room to take my gear or much time to go fishing. That said this year I am bringing my gear, and if I can get an on campus job my truck (and I'm going to buy a kayak to fish Lakes Nicol and Harris). I did get to do some hiking at both lakes and they were absolutely amazing views!

Sounds awesome! Hopefully you can get out there and get some of those big fish those southern guys are always bragging about!

• Like 1

A couple tournament updates.

April 28th I competed in the KBF Trail Event on Kentucky Lake. I finished 27th out of 79. I got on fish early and continued to catch them all day but just couldn’t find the size needed to make a run at the top. The bass were moving up into the shallows in and around the bushes transitioning into the spawn. I flipped the bushes all day catching those fish

This last Saturday I competed in the Southern Indiana Yak Angler Klub event held in Warrick county. I finished 2nd out of 33. I chose to fish a location the bass boats can’t get to.   It was a day of adjustments. Had my first catch on the board with a chatterbait within the first 2 minutes. Then I could feel the bass hitting the chatterbait and not fully commiting to the bite so ai slowed down using a fluke to fill out my limit. By this time the sun was up and not a cloud in the sky. I tried flipping the bushes and trees around the edges but never got a bite so I went back to where I was catching them early and switch to a finesse presentation and started upgrading. Caught my last upgrade 30 minutes before the last submission to solidify my second place.

• Like 3

Anybody been to the Gander Outdoors in Castleton? I need to get some stuff and am having some issues.

1) I refuse to shop at Dick's Sporting Goods now due to their 2A stances.

2) Walmart doesn't have anything that I need and frankly I don't enjoy going into the Walmart in Avon.

3) Meijer only had some of the things I need, although frankly they have a way better sporting goods section than Walmart (thank the lord).

4) Honey Creek Tackle is an hour away and they close one hour after I get off work.

Not sure the trip all the way to Castleton is worth it to be honest. The Gander in Avon was supposed to reopen but it didn't. Not that I cared for it much anyways.

I miss Galyans.

Just order it on TW, it’s about the only option if you aren’t going to shop at dicks. I don’t shop their anymore either, unfortunately every store pulled the same crap, so it doesn’t really matter. Just an FYI for you guys, the Walmart in greencastle has Zman TRD’s and shroom heads!

9 hours ago, HoosierHawgs said:

Anybody been to the Gander Outdoors in Castleton? I need to get some stuff and am having some issues.

2) Walmart doesn't have anything that I need and frankly I don't enjoy going into the Walmart in Avon.

3) Meijer only had some of the things I need, although frankly they have a way better sporting goods section than Walmart (thank the lord).

4) Honey Creek Tackle is an hour away and they close one hour after I get off work.

Not sure the trip all the way to Castleton is worth it to be honest. The Gander in Avon was supposed to reopen but it didn't. Not that I cared for it much anyways.

I miss Galyans.

I'm in Gander regularly.  No better, no worse than GM was. No store brands like GM. They better start advertising or they'll not be around long.  The store is never busy.

• Like 1

I will be fishing Morse on Saturday and wanted to know what baits you guys have had success With fishing there. Any tips will help.

3 hours ago, LxVE Bassin said:

I will be fishing Morse on Saturday and wanted to know what baits you guys have had success With fishing there. Any tips will help.

I have a tournament with Indiana Kayak Anglers on Morse on Saturday.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HoosierHawgs said:

I miss Galyans.

The pricing and selection at Gander Outdoors is wayyyyyy better than it was at Gander Mtn.  Their marine section is hands down the best I've seen in Indy.  There's always a need to order stuff from TW, especially if you're a Lucky Craft and JDM topwater addict like I am.  But for most other things, that new Gander is on point....

4 hours ago, LxVE Bassin said:

Fished Morse last Saturday and did OK.  We put in around 4pm and a bunch of guys that were leaving told us they fished all day without ever getting a bite.  We caught most our fish on topwater, cranks, and jerkbaits.  Look for rocky secondary points back in coves.  They where we kept finding them.

Caught a few male bed watchers by dead-sticking a pink senko onto their bed.  As long as eggs or fry are present on the bed, I'm convinced that dead-sticking a bright soft plastic onto it will eventually p!ss the fish off enough to hammer it.  Sometimes they are slick and will try to move it off the bed.  That's when you reel up and drop it right back on whatever they are protecting.  They cant stand it!!!!

On 5/14/2018 at 12:35 PM, Alan Reed said:

Had my first catch on the board with a chatterbait within the first 2 minutes.

That is priceless in a tournament situation.  I've had tourneys where I didn't catch my first until the last hour or 2 and it's really hard to keep a positive mental deal when that happens. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigBassLoveSenkos said:

The pricing and selection at Gander Outdoors is wayyyyyy better than it was at Gander Mtn.  Their marine section is hands down the best I've seen in Indy.  There's always a need to order stuff from TW, especially if you're a Lucky Craft and JDM topwater addict like I am.  But for most other things, that new Gander is on point....

I sure hope they get the Avon one opened up! The one in Terre Haute is still closed to. The only one I’ve seen was in Battle Creek in Michigan. 

Bass fishing is absolutely on fire right now, every time I've been out in the past few days it's been keeper after keeper bass. Last night we picked up 35 bass in 3 hours, 30 of which were over 15". Best 5 weighed 19 pounds with big bass weighing five and a quarter, with loads of 2.5-3 pound fish. Throwing frogs and weightless trick worms around any floating muck we can find.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, IndianaFinesse said:

Bass fishing is absolutely on fire right now, every time I've been out in the past few days it's been keeper after keeper bass. Last night we picked up 35 bass in 3 hours, 30 of which were over 15". Best 5 weighed 19 pounds with big bass weighing five and a quarter, with loads of 2.5-3 pound fish. Throwing frogs and weightless trick worms around any floating muck we can find.

What water temps do you have down there?

10 minutes ago, nighthawk25 said:

What water temps do you have down there?

Upper 60s, they're mostly postspawn but there's a few spawners still locked on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IndianaFinesse said:

Upper 60s, they're mostly postspawn but there's a few spawners still locked on.

Hopefully they can hold onto that postspawn attitude for one more week! I’ve got some vacation coming up and I’m planning on getting out before sunrise at least twice! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, frosty said:

I sure hope they get the Avon one opened up! The one in Terre Haute is still closed to. The only one I’ve seen was in Battle Creek in Michigan. 

My understanding is that Castleton and Greenfield are it around here.

• Sad 1

Definitely post spawn here. Week and a half ago we were at 72 degrees. Its been 80+ every day since then. Caught some this morning on a small rock pile on a 3xd. It's about to get fun. I love fishing deep water with big worms and cranks

1 hour ago, CroakHunter said:

I love fishing deep water with big worms and cranks

I think I’m the only person that can’t catch fish on crankbaits.