Sign in to follow this  
TxHawgs

How do u guys ship rods that u sell? Cheapest way?

I posted a rod on here a while back and have someone that wants to buy it. It's so expensive to ship, UPS is how I quoted a price since it can't be shipped USPS. It's a 6'10" spinning rod, NRX. I talked to the girl that works at the UPS drop off in my area and she said a lot of guys ship them in PVC pipe that they buy from home depot or wherever. Thought that was a good idea cuz the heavy cardboard tubes are a fortune. So when I did the quote, not sure of weight, but it was anywhere from 35 to 40 bucks plus the PVC pipe, man that's expensive as hell. So any suggestions on how to do it cheaper would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

PVC is around 8 bucks for me usually. Keep in mind you will want to cut it to correct length. Dont forget to buy the plastic end caps that fit the tube.  Also, make sure the handle will fit into the tube so do not buy the super skinny tube.   Shipping with USPS is generally the cheapest method in my experience. Fed Ex can be 14-40 ...weight , length, circumference, and destination will determine the cost. Sadly shipping rods can be a costly  endeavor. For me I just try to get enough  for the item I want out of the rods to cover  my purchase. Shipping I just accept as the  cost  of doing  business.

What did you do with the TW rod tubes lol?

I ship with FedEx, it's the most convenient for me. Figure to spend around $25.

Do *not* forget to buy insurance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stkbassn said:

PVC is around 8 bucks for me usually. Keep in mind you will want to cut it to correct length. Dont forget to buy the plastic end caps that fit the tube.  Also, make sure the handle will fit into the tube so do not buy the super skinny tube.   Shipping with USPS is generally the cheapest method in my experience. Fed Ex can be 14-40 ...weight , length, circumference, and destination will determine the cost. Sadly shipping rods can be a costly  endeavor. For me I just try to get enough  for the item I want out of the rods to cover  my purchase. Shipping I just accept as the  cost  of doing  business.

You mean as the seller you just eat the cost of shipping 40 to 50 bucks? Wow I'm already losing I disagree on the rod.

1 hour ago, deep said:

What did you do with the TW rod tubes lol?

I ship with FedEx, it's the most convenient for me. Figure to spend around $25.

Do *not* forget to buy insurance.

Only 25 bucks to ship through fedex? That's cheap, maybe it was a short rod and it wasn't going very far from your address. UPS ground is gonna run me 30 to 40 bucks plus PVC pipe. I could have 50 bucks in this till I'm done.

Usps online. Measure it yourself and pay online. Should be $15 or so insured plus cost of pvc.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TxHawgs said:

You mean as the seller you just eat the cost of shipping 40 to 50 bucks? Wow I'm already losing I disagree on the rod.

Typically my average cost is around 20 with fed ex depending on where its going. Im in Va and shipped 8 foot rods as far as Washington State for 30 and then paid 35 to ship a 7 foot rod to Georgia...like I said, its  going to vary.  Ive paid as little as  14 at USPS  to Texas for a 7 foot rod.  If you're looking for an absolute cheap solution I dont think there is one. I've shipped loads of rods. I do eat the cost in the interest of a faster sale. All depends on what its worth to you.  Its just not a cheap endeavor man. Good luck. 

• Like 1

HI GUY, THIS IS JUST MY 2 CENTS, I NEVER SHIP WITH UPS, THEY BRAKE TO MANY RODS. ONE THING I ALWAYS DO IS TO SHIP THE PACKAGE TO AN BUSINESS, A     AUTO GARAGE,  WHERE THE GUY WORKS , ANY PLACE WHERE HE CAN GET IT FROM THEM.     THAT WAY ITS CHEAPER TO SHIP.  AND I SHIP US POST OFFICE   JUST THE WAY I DO IT. I ALWAYS SHIP RODS IN PVC TUBES.

7 hours ago, Cgrinder said:

Usps online. Measure it yourself and pay online. Should be $15 or so insured plus cost of pvc.

This is what I've found to be the best way as well.

If not, I've always used FedEx and I've never paid more than 25$ to ship across the country. 40-50 is highway robbery. 

ALWAYS use PVC /w endcaps and ALWAYS BUY INSURANCE!

If you're having to "pay a fortune" for cardboard tubing, you're doing it wrong. Go to any Home Depot or Menards and ask for one in their carpet department. Should be free or 5$ at most. Again, PVC is your best option. 

Don't try and skimp on the insurance or shipping material. Saving 10$ could cost you hundreds down the road. 

• Like 2

I shipped a 7-3 rod about 2 weeks ago to Cali from GA and it cost $35 thru FedEx. DO NOT re-use a cardboard tube. I am now 4 for 4 with rods broken that were shipped in cardboard. And buy insurance for the selling price of the rod plus the cost of shipping.

$15-50 is normal

I shipped a 7'11 swimbait rod to my friend in TX from MD using usps. With extra insurance it was $48  It's just part of the  game.

Shipping prices are why I almost never sell rods anywhere except locally. You lose so much in shipping that it's just not worth it to me plus the potential hassle if it's broken in shipping. Getting a headache just thinking about it. 

An alternative is to sell it via craigslist locally and avoid all shipping costs. Even if you discount it more to sell it it's still better than shipping a rod. Or do like some guys do and sell rods together as a bundle. 

Thanks guys, gonna ship in PVC via USPS or fedex. 

On 12/27/2015 at 1:22 AM, Bluebasser86 said:

Shipping prices are why I almost never sell rods anywhere except locally. You lose so much in shipping that it's just not worth it to me plus the potential hassle if it's broken in shipping. Getting a headache just thinking about it. 

This guy said it best. And I'm someone who deals on the 2nd hand market and eBay. Flea markets, yard sales, thrifting etc.

Even if the rod is expensivese I think there is too much risk.

Better selling local like Craig's list. You may get low balls but factor the shipping and risk. One previous poster said he's 4 for 4 so that's a 50% chance breaking.

4 hours ago, needler420 said:

This guy said it best. And I'm someone who deals on the 2nd hand market and eBay. Flea markets, yard sales, thrifting etc.

Even if the rod is expensivese I think there is too much risk.

Better selling local like Craig's list. You may get low balls but factor the shipping and risk. One previous poster said he's 4 for 4 so that's a 50% chance breaking.

I had to reread your post. 4 for 4 is 50%? 

• Like 4

I've shipped a few rods, all through USPS . I package them in PVC pipe like others have mentioned. The average cost for me has been $25 from arkansas to everywhere I've shipped. The local post office advised me to not try and ship anything over 7'3" due to the calculations they do. They informed me that they would not ship 8' rods.

To be clear, I have shipped rods in re-purposed TW cardboard rod tubes on 4 occasions and all 4 tubes were damaged, along with the rods inside. Deaknh can attest to the failure on 2 rods I shipped him this past summer. And it's the handling of the package, not so much the packaging that leads to damage-which is why I always use PVC now. And don't use the cellular-core PVC, get the kind that is pressure-rated and cut it 2 inches longer than the rod. Even at that, I have had 2 rods broken in PVC. They had a tire-track from a forklift right across the middle......and UPS tried to get my buddy's daughter to sign for the package......and it was in 2 pieces, taped together, with the rod pieces sticking out.....with clear tape holding them in place. All the carriers have broken a rod that I have either sent or received, so it's somewhat of a crap-shoot. Hence the necessity of insurance. If you can sell it locally, that's always easier and safer.

On 12/28/2015 at 7:33 AM, deaknh03 said:

I had to reread your post. 4 for 4 is 50%? 

For some reason I read it as 4/8 and wrote 4/4.

But that just further proves my point since he had 100% failure. 

You'd think they would have gave up at 2 or surely 3 lol.