Midwest Fisherman

Z-Man soft baits

I have $150 in Bass Pro gift cards that's burning a hole in my pocket and I want to spend it on Z-Man soft baits. Regardless of my techniques, area, time of year, water clearity, rod specifics etc. I'm just wanting some feedback as to what you guys & girls are using and like. 

Thanks

I use there TRD Ned rig worms and mushroom heads.Work great.The longer you use the worm the better the action.

• Like 4

For me I have had a lot of success with the Zinkerz chopped in half and fished Ned rig style (surprisingly pearl was my best color in dingy water). So much success that I am in the same place you are and will be picking some more styles too. I will be really interested as well what others have to say.

• Like 1

Just saying if you spend 150 on ZMAN baits you will probably never use them all lol. I'm a fan of the batwingz for a jig trailer, and the TRD for the ned rig. 

• Like 4

Project Z chatterbait. They finally got it right /w that one. Killer chatterbait. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ABW said:

Just saying if you spend 150 on ZMAN baits you will probably never use them all lol. I'm a fan of the batwingz for a jig trailer, and the TRD for the ned rig. 

You have a point there, I actually thought the same thing.

7 minutes ago, iabass8 said:

Project Z chatterbait. They finally got it right /w that one. Killer chatterbait. 

IKR, I have several of their chatters and received some of the project z for the holidays, haven't used them yet and that was one thing I wanted to try their softs on. 

1 hour ago, bowhunter63 said:

I use there TRD Ned rig worms and mushroom heads.Work great.The longer you use the worm the better the action.

What size, color, weedless or not shroomz do you use 

I have yet to try a soft bait by Zman I didn't like, but the ones I use most are TRD, ZinkerZ, Hula StickZ, and TurboCrawZ. Not sure I'd buy $150 of them, though.

36 minutes ago, Midwest Fisherman said:

I know you can't dip in JJ's but does anyone rub mega strike on them

Yes! Megastrike is fine on elaztech

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MIbassyaker said:

I have yet to try a soft bait by Zman I didn't like, but the ones I use most are TRD, ZinkerZ, Hula StickZ, and TurboCrawZ. Not sure I'd buy $150 of them, though.

Great variety, thanks. I was just getting excited, guess it would be wasteful to spend that much on them. Guess I'll need to add some different goodies as well. 

5 minutes ago, Midwest Fisherman said:

What size, color, weedless or not shroomz do you use 

1/10 shroom head and green pumpkin color 90 percent of the time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MIbassyaker said:

If you don't mind could you recommend a variety of colors.

I know alot of guys who use Mega Strike with great results.I like it and strike king coffee scent.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Midwest Fisherman said:

If you don't mind could you recommend a variety of colors.

I use 3 colors -- green pumpkin, canada craw, and coppertreuse....but I'm not so sure that I actually need more than green pumpkin. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MIbassyaker said:

I use 3 colors -- green pumpkin, canada craw, and coppertreuse....but I'm not so sure that I actually need more than green pumpkin. 

You can't use the dyes on the plastic so its justifiable ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Midwest Fisherman said:

I have used liquid mayhem scents with no issues and great results. This stuff is a gel too and lasts a long time

• Like 1

Nobody mentioned the ShadZ. It's also a killer bait on a mushroom head. Also a awesome drop shot bait

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ABW said:

You can't use the dyes on the plastic so its justifiable ;)

Well, there you go.

• Like 1

I like the ZinkerZ-coppertreuse, PB&J, pearl, purple haze, black and blue, pink, and pumpkin orange.

TRD-Canada Craw, PB&J, black and blue, junebug, coppertreuse, green pumpkin goby, and green pumpkin orange

Turbo CrawZ-Bama Bug, Black and blue, The Deal, and pearl. 

3.5" BatwingZ-black and blue, sapphire blue, green pumpkin

Palmetto BugZ- black blue flake, bama bug, California craw

4 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

I like the ZinkerZ-coppertreuse, PB&J, pearl, purple haze, black and blue, pink, and pumpkin orange.

TRD-Canada Craw, PB&J, black and blue, junebug, coppertreuse, green pumpkin goby, and green pumpkin orange

Turbo CrawZ-Bama Bug, Black and blue, The Deal, and pearl. 

3.5" BatwingZ-black and blue, sapphire blue, green pumpkin

Palmetto BugZ- black blue flake, bama bug, California craw

Great, thanks so much. 

11 hours ago, Midwest Fisherman said:

Heck ya! A TRD with Megastrike on it is one of my lethal weapons. Usually catches when nothing else will. 

• Like 1

Four inch super finesse worm (Strike King elaztech is the same thing) coppertreuse, pb&j, pumpkin w/ red flakes, watermelon w/ red flakes. 

Here's a helpful tip on rigging the elaztech products.  If you have tried to put the head of the worm on any type of holder, barbed or screw type, you know it's impossible to get the holder to puncture the head.  I use a safety pin and a candle.  Open a safety pin and bend it so it is straight except for the coil, which acts like a heat sink to disperse heat.

Heat the point over a candle, then melt a hole about an inch deep into the center of the worm.  That will allow you to slide the nose of the worm over any holder.  Use a drop of super glue to hold it in place.  If the hook has a spring type of holder, you'll have to pinch the top coil closed, and bend the closed coil  so it points at the tip of the hook, or the center of the bend, depending on how you rig it.

You can then slide the worm over the holder.  Again, use super glue to secure it to the holder and the jig head.

Done properly (it will take a bit of practice), it will last until you lose it.  I've caught over fifty fish on the same bait.  Even pickerel cannot ruin it.

• Like 1