On the same topic is curado I hagane or just the new citica?

I've got a couple of Japanese chef knives made of Hagane Steel. I think it is a "white steel" that holds a  fantastic edge. These knives run about $300. 

I have NO idea if this is the same stuff. If it is, it's very hard. Knife temper is about 63. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Silas said:

I've got a couple of Japanese chef knives made of Hagane Steel. I think it is a "white steel" that holds a  fantastic edge. These knives run about $300. 

I have NO idea if this is the same stuff. If it is, it's very hard. Knife temper is about 63. 

Good Stuff ~

And it stands to reason too as I hear the newest Shimano model coming out might be called The Ginsu ~

:)

A-Jay

• Like 6

Link courtesy of board member bootytrain:  Hagane

• Like 2

Gears forged from the fires of Hades and coated /w the tears of a Unicorn. 

• Like 14

55 minutes ago, iabass8 said:

Gears forged from the fires of Hades and coated /w the tears of a Unicorn. 

Post of the year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoCougs14 said:

Post of the year

So far

• Like 3

I believe the Japanese term "hagane" translates directly to "marketing ploy for 2016" :)

While I don't own a Shimano baitcaster, I only own Shimano spinning reels so I have no doubt that the Stradic HKs and the like are great reels.  Just don't get too sucked into the "tech specs", like this "hagane" stuff.  Just a fancy buzzword...

EDIT: and holy crud, browsing through this link makes me feel like my somewhat-in-jest response above is even more the case now.  Wow...

10 hours ago, Goose52 said:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chris at Tech said:

I believe the Japanese term "hagane" translates directly to "marketing ploy for 2016" :)

While I don't own a Shimano baitcaster, I only own Shimano spinning reels so I have no doubt that the Stradic HKs and the like are great reels.  Just don't get too sucked into the "tech specs", like this "hagane" stuff.  Just a fancy buzzword...

EDIT: and holy crud, browsing through this link makes me feel like my somewhat-in-jest response above is even more the case now.  Wow...

That was my impression when I read through the page.  Mostly a marketing ploy.  What manufacturer isn't going to make a claim to have the most advanced machining, materials, etc.?

• Like 1

I very much doubt that Hagane is steel.  According to the Shimano explanation it is more of a philosophy of ultimate smoothness (which is attained through many methods/processes/quality control and appropriate materials.  It's sort of like an organization's "mission statement."   Does it really attain ultimate smoothness?  Time and experience with their new reels will tell.   IMHO

• Like 1

We all must realize that fishing tackle has to change every year to promote sales. Just like the auto industry. Change a little here; add something there; come up with a "catch phrase" like Corinthian Leather (which does not exist) and promote your product.

Same is so true in the bass fishing arena. A new and improved reel or a new type of rod along with a new process for line and you have some great marketing ploys to attract to the products as we try to get the bass attracted to our baits.

Just remember that the rod, reel and line you now have in your possession was once the best and most remarkable product sold that year. Now, for some unknown reason, it is out of date and you will never catch another bass unless you buy Uncle Slob's KY-Jelly lined reel with the agitator neon green handle to pair with the 10-foot Klondike elastic rod with the 20-micro chip guides and the Never Break line from the new company in Outer Mongolia.

All I can say that it boils down to confidence in what you have now and the fun of buying more stuff.

I vote that you buy more stuff! The Bait Monkey awaits you.

• Like 3

Raul is  the perfect example of " A man 's got to know his limitations". In his hands the G.Loomis IMX has all the sensitivity he can appreciate. Line? Well, I think it's Big Game and Yo-Zuri Hybrid, not braid nor fluorocarbon. Maybe the equipment available today is actually better than most of us can truly appreciate. It really varies from man to man.

:winter-146:

3 hours ago, crankzilla said:

This doesn't help  they just say their philosophy is in the hagane ( steel) they don't ever claim its made from hagane nor do they explain what it's actually made of

It actually does if you read it. Hagane isn't a material, it's a process of forming metal. It's also just a new replacement term for their "Paladin Gearing Technology" which is Shimano/s "Cold Forged Aluminium/Drive Gears/Etc"

17 hours ago, Goose52 said:

Thank you for the link!

Tom

6 hours ago, iabass8 said:

It actually does if you read it. Hagane isn't a material, it's a process of forming metal. It's also just a new replacement term for their "Paladin Gearing Technology" which is Shimano/s "Cold Forged Aluminium/Drive Gears/Etc"

It doesn't answer the question of what the reel is made of I believe they should be more transparant and just say what its made of , its an aluminum composit or a graphite steel hybrid shimano does not tell you what the reel is made of read it again

Having said all this my citica 201i should be here in a couple of days!  Lol Shimano for life!!!!!!

12 minutes ago, crankzilla said:

It doesn't answer the question of what the reel is made of I believe they should be more transparant and just say what its made of , its an aluminum composit or a graphite steel hybrid shimano does not tell you what the reel is made of read it again

Which reel are you talking about...? There isn't a reel called "the hagane". Lots of reels will have the hahane sticker/stamp from now on. Its just a new phrase for paladin technology which has been around and discussed in detail for awhile.

• Like 1

My new stradic says hagane body and Hagane gearing. Never remember seeing a shimano reel that said paladin body. 

If they are going to say hagane body it would be nice to know what the body is actually made of. My stradic fk is half aluminum half graphite just like the fj was.