everythingthatswims

Other Species Latest Catch Pics Thread

16 hours ago, Team9nine said:

Everything was biting today with these post frontal conditions...35+ keeper crappie, a couple nice channel cats, several white bass along with a few nice bluegill...and bass, which were posted in the 'Fishing Reports' section.

IMG_1727.jpg.4fdf13c389fc01cce19e88c53320f923.jpg

IMG_1723.jpg.23801b3de5b3aa72f3f09273ceb26bee.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg.e22eefa3600902ea71a98a1cb9a4c788.jpg

IMG_1726.jpg.49bd9a0b4e668c1ed7293be63a0befec.jpg

IMG_1721.jpg.66f5e37952d5949d15ee945bd7cf0c1a.jpg

I've caught several channels while casting and there's no mistaking them. Fast strike, frequently a quick detached sensation as they move toward you, then all heck breaks loose even on small ones. Great sport fish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Bassman said:

I've caught several channels while casting and there's no mistaking them. Fast strike, frequently a quick detached sensation as they move toward you, then all heck breaks loose even on small ones. Great sport fish.

They have much better eyesight than most people give them credit for. Neat thing was we had been on this spot for nearly an hour catching crappie and white bass. After I finally had to make a change in tubes, I decided to throw on a purple one (we had been mostly throwing chartreuse variations). First cast nets the first channel cat. Only two casts later nets the second one. Are they attracted to purple for some reason? I have seen a study that suggested blue was the most attrative color to channel cats, so maybe purple being right in that same color band made the difference...or maybe just complete coincidence.

2 hours ago, Team9nine said:

They have much better eyesight than most people give them credit for. Neat thing was we had been on this spot for nearly an hour catching crappie and white bass. After I finally had to make a change in tubes, I decided to throw on a purple one (we had been mostly throwing chartreuse variations). First cast nets the first channel cat. Only two casts later nets the second one. Are they attracted to purple for some reason? I have seen a study that suggested blue was the most attrative color to channel cats, so maybe purple being right in that same color band made the difference...or maybe just complete coincidence.

I'll give that a shot in one particular pond that gives up cats for me pretty regular. Caught lots of bass today with one nearly 4 lb. but just one cat on a Fat Ika and he was a bullhead. They hit plastics occasionally for me.

• Like 1

Another dinosaur! 45”

DBEFA275-D492-4-CAC-9-E3-E-5-B5-B5881678

6-B243-B52-B561-4-E3-E-85-CA-F9-A4-DCB6-

16-A3-DC82-4585-478-F-802-A-D87986910-C3

• Like 8

Got a few crappie and one of of the biggest, darkest longear sunfish I've ever caught this weekend.

nmam55.jpg

t9jv9z.jpg

df82ly.jpg

• Like 7

C84AC142-F3E7-4880-B0F7-050C8ACEAB89.thumb.jpeg.1e2e1daa49e4a64cb6db347af82a761d.jpeg

The elusive New Jersey sheepshead, this one measuring a hair under 26”. This is the best of 4 fish I’ve caught this summer, the “smallest” being 22”. We put our time in this summer and are beginning to figure out how to fish for these unicorns in the northeast.

• Like 10

I don’t really want to follow up that beast of a sheepshead but somebody has to do it. My girlfriend’s mother loves catfish and we are headed up to their house next week so I’ve been trying to stock up. Thought about going fishing tonight but most of my friends were wanting to hang out at the local watering hole. Oh well, one night no fishing is ok. But alas! The watering hole is only 50-75 yards from the river so I set some hillbilly hand lines tied to a sunken dock and somehow we got one! Small frozen gizzard shad baits, actually had one line dragged up river but snagged and broke off 

99-BB6-B03-32-F4-4385-A5-EC-D8-E13-E6570

174552-B7-6660-42-A1-B253-7-C1-C6-EAC5-C

525-A4-FF2-2-AF1-464-A-852-C-1-BD384-F5-

• Like 6

Found a topwater Wiper walking a Heddon Spook Jr, blast of a catch.

Just 19" but very healthy/girthy. I love smallmouths lb for lb but these things attack and fight with seemingly unnatural power. Let that "hybrid vigor" rain down as far as I'm concerned. 

us0ZrRK.jpg

5gCZKMg.jpg

• Like 5

Went old school today for a half hour or so. Ultra light rod, small slip float and a bunch of freshly caught worms and we had a pile of these little guys on, just across the road from our place. 

F0C3719B-9FAB-49C6-832C-07B86D8B6CA0.jpeg

• Like 3

Caught my first striped bass from the kayak, and two more behind her.20190816_100301-1632x1224.thumb.jpg.ea7d1891f06f819796a25ac4a2e790e9.jpg

• Like 6

It's really more of a surprise when I go to this lake and DON'T catch a flathead anymore, especially at night. Sunday I went ahead and caught 2 of them, both on a 1/2oz football jig, almost the same spot about 5 hours apart though. 

Image may contain: night and indoorImage may contain: Clayton Westgate, outdoorkxx75Nciuzbr9mhxgdQbnqw84z-W-MFZrScH-TxCImage may contain: plant and drink

• Like 4