Sign in to follow this  
cgolf

Zman storage in gallon Ziplock bags

Over the weekend I found that the gallon ziplock bags work nicely to consolidate bagged plastics. Now the question is will Zman baits in the original bags placed in the gallon bags be ok? It is not really clear to me what will react badly with these baits other than most other soft plastics. 

I think as long as it's only Zman plastics in the gallon bag they should be okay

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, cgolf said:

Zman baits in the original bags placed in the gallon bags be ok?

This is how some of mine are stored. As long as the Zman baits are in the original bags first they will be fine. Some have said they have had no issues with them in Plano boxes but I had 2 separate occasions where I tossed a single Zman in my Plano box and the very next morning it had already started melting. I trust Zman packaging to hold my Zman baits. I do not want to show up somewhere to fish and have a mess. 

• Like 1

I have Zman baits in gallon bags in their original packs and have zero issues. 

• Like 4

I have a plastic bag with a finesse worm or 3 on screw lock jig heads, the razor shadz rigged up a few ways and a kickerz on a jig. I figure if they are indestructable why not carry one of each color I have instead of all the different bags. Haven't had any issues with melting or color running yet and don't want them in my boxes. Although it's only been for like a month and never in direct sun and hasn't gotten to hot in the north country yet. And if they do go bad I will have only lost one or two in each color/style so no biggie.

EDIT I now retract my statement as to they are fine now but I haven't made it throught the summer yet. I have never had any zman baits melt do to tempurture and never had any ruin any tackle boxes. One stuck to a regular lizard once but i peeled them apart and it was fine. I have had no problems with them for me to say that they "could" have issues due to it being a hot day.

Edited by ErikmonBillsfon

Oh, I'm glad I read this.  I didn't know zman plastics were subject to melting.   I only own one bag but thought that if they worked out ok I would buy more.  But melting is a deal breaker.  In Florida if it CAN melt It WILL melt. 

9 minutes ago, avidone1 said:

Oh, I'm glad I read this.  I didn't know zman plastics were subject to melting.   I only own one bag but thought that if they worked out ok I would buy more.  But melting is a deal breaker.  In Florida if it CAN melt It WILL melt. 

It's not a temperature thing, it's a chemical reaction thing.  Store a Z-Man bait with another soft plastic and it'll melt.  Try it with a used/torn up bait and see what happens!

10 minutes ago, avidone1 said:

Others that live in the south can chime in, but I have left my rigged bait in a Plano box with holes drilled in it to prevent rust in my truck all of last summer and never had any issues. I tried not to leave it in the direct sun, but the truck got plenty warm. It seems like they have a big saltwater following, so I would guess the melting may be overrated or the baits somehow got mixed with standard plastics. 

13 minutes ago, avidone1 said:

Zman baits are fine as long as you just leave them in the package that you bought them in. Its no different than anything else you dont go mixing bottles of cleaners in one bottle. (well you shouldn't) :P 

I'm glad to hear this.  Chemical reaction thing eh?   go figure.

Anyway, I will absolutely definitely and without a doubt keep it in it's original bag.

I mix plastics together all the time without incident.  This would have been one hot mess.

Thank you blckshirt 98, cgolf and S.sass for the replies.