.ghoti.

Mystery Tackle Box / Lucky Tackle Box Q&A

On 7/14/2016 at 8:21 PM, Fishin' Fool said:

Okay this may be a stupid question because this was my first month that I received the Mystery Tackle box Pro version and mine was completely different than yours. So are all the boxes not the same?

Mlbassyaker,  I believe FF was asking if MTB Pro (July) was the same for all subscribers. Seems as if he received a completely different box than you. Perhaps MTB can answer his question.... 

9 hours ago, wnspain said:

Mlbassyaker,  I believe FF was asking if MTB Pro (July) was the same for all subscribers. Seems as if he received a completely different box than you. Perhaps MTB can answer his question.... 

MIbassyaker was correct, we send a variety of different boxes eery mont, even within species and box types. We may have anywhere from 5-10 regular and 5-10 pro boxes in a single month, with some items overlapping in different boxes.

13694089_10157181831695626_1117249983_o.13694037_10157181831865626_568519776_o.j

Here were my first 2 boxes for LTB and MTB. Both are pretty decent IMO, but LTB is really leaning on the $25 swimbait for value.. lol. I wish both boxes wouldn't have came with size 4 hooks though, I rarely use anything that small. Can hardly complain overall though, got the $10 off of 1st box for each company, so total for this haul was only $10 total (minus the extra $8 I spent getting the LTB Pro box).

I have yet to receive my LTB this month, does anyone know if there was a delay?  

Question about these boxes...  I was just on the LTB site and seen the tis to use baits..  Most of what I was reading said to use bait casting rods...  I have never used one I am a spinning rod guy only because I'm really just getting into fishing from last season to this..  I have 1 rod and reel...  in my situation is it even worth buying a membership to either?

I will be looking at getting more equipment but it ain't free so it will take time

On 7/22/2016 at 2:25 PM, B1gD4ddy said:

Question about these boxes...  I was just on the LTB site and seen the tis to use baits..  Most of what I was reading said to use bait casting rods...  I have never used one I am a spinning rod guy only because I'm really just getting into fishing from last season to this..  I have 1 rod and reel...  in my situation is it even worth buying a membership to either?

I will be looking at getting more equipment but it ain't free so it will take time

If you stick with bass fishing, you will want a bait caster.  There's no comparison to the accuracy in casting and versatility of the bait caster when you bass fish a lot and use a variety of baits.  It will take some time to get used to, but it is well worth it.  You might start out with an Abu Garcia round reel.  I have an AG 6500 C3 and an Ambassadeur 6600 SX I like very much and they won't completely break the bank.  I subscribe to both MTB and LTB and really enjoy getting baits I wouldn't normally try out on my own.  It is forcing me to try new techniques and you do need some variety in rod/reel equipment to be able to use it all.  

An example for me was trying a hollow-body frog on spinning gear without a heavy rod, I couldn't set the hook on the hits I was getting.  Now I have a heavy rod with a bait caster and braid and I set the hook easy.  The spinning rod is medium heavy, but it wasn't enough.  

So, I guess the answer is, you might want to get a heavier setup to be able to fish some of the things you will get with these subscriptions.  Otherwise, you will be packing away a portion of the baits until you can properly fish them.  

I got a nice Biwaa S Trout 5.5" in this month's LTB I can't wait to try out.  This is the LTB XL box.  The retail for that one bait alone is around $25 and I got a lot more in the $25 box including two other hard baits, some hooks and several packs of soft plastics.  

5 hours ago, Hog Basser said:

I got a nice Biwaa S Trout 5.5" in this month's LTB I can't wait to try out.  This is the LTB XL box.  The retail for that one bait alone is around $25 and I got a lot more in the $25 box including two other hard baits, some hooks and several packs of soft plastics.  

I seen that, good "catch" I've watched the unboxing of the LTB last month and seen that but didn't see how it should be used..  I got a similar one I wanted to use in the deeper areas I go but haven't got lucky as of yet..  maybe it's because I was straight retriving maybe other times it was because of the leader to protect the bait from pike not sure what it is preventing me from a catch with it..  not many of my lures are still a Virgin but this one is

I got one of the Strout lures as well in my last LTB. My box is just the standard box. I commented on it here 

My August 2016 MTB PRO:

MTBprobox160812.jpg

--Kamooki Smart craw lipless crankbait, "purple rain"

--1/2oz Strike King Rage blade, sexy shad

--Savage Gear 3D frog, white

--Yumbrella money heads, 1/8oz, 2/0, black

--Eco Pro Tungsten 4.8 Swing Shad, blue red pearl

--Gambler Burner Craw, green pumpkin backatya

--Bait card

--Dibble digest

--Sticker

--Match the hatch (did not win)

I notice the dibble digest is the same issue I got in my box last month...looks like this box is the same one some other subscribers got in July, while I got a different one that month.

My August 2016 LTB standard Bass box.

IMG_20160812_134415446_zpsze3p9mpl.jpg

- BD Series BD Shad 4" Slow Sink Green $20.00 *note - my lure the magnet had come out of the belly and was attached to the hook. I have sent a email to get this resolved. If it wasn't the most expensive bait in the box (and I want to use it) I would have let it go as things happen in mass production. 

- Chasing Trophy Fish EOC 3.5" Stick Bait $7.50 There was absolutely zero information about the bait on the packaging No color no depth etc. It did say Made in China on one end of the box and the Card that details the baits stated "designed to dive 4 - 6 ft".

- Cabin Creek Bait Co. Buoy Worm 5ct. $5.79  # 68 Get The Net Original 4" Stand Up, Hand Dipped, Super Soft, Hollow Finesse Worm

- Mustad KVD Tripple Grip Short Shank Hooks $4.99 SIZE 2-4, REF TG76NP-RB, PCS 4

- Vicious Tubby Tube 4" 5ct. $3.99 Watermelonseed

- Inside The Box lure description card

- Fishhound Magazine

- Sticker

Got my LTB XL today:

Castaic BD series 4" BD Shad - $20

Chasing Trophy Fish EOC 3.5" stick bait - $7.50

Cabin Creek Buoy Worm 5 ct. - $5.79

Mustad KVD Triple Grip short shank hooks - $4.99

Viccious Tubby Tube 4" 5 ct. - $3.99

*** Poppin' Frog - $7.99 (always wanted to try these, but have success already with other frogs)

Sebile Vibe Machine - $5.99

Will upload pics later from other device,.

It's not a regular MTB, but I ordered this Catch Co box from them as an extra-- it's the "Up North Bass" box (sold out after a few days). What caught my eye were the JDM lipless crank and the Stanley spinnerbait, and the other items were all things I could put to good use:

UpNorthBassCatchCoBoxSept.jpg

--3/8oz Stanley Wedge Plus flash spinnerbait

--Duel Hardcore XX Vibe lipless crankbait

--Rapala Scatter Rap shad

--V&M smallie tubes

--Venom tube heads 1/4oz

--Optimum Baits hand pour drop shot kit

Not one of my better LTB boxes. This is the standard Bass LTB. The Biwaa stick bait is new to me and the Zero Gravity jig looks good. Even the *** could be OK. Although I'm not a fan of Little George style baits. Red plastic frogs not something I personally see myself using. Solid red plastic has not fared well for me ever. Previous box had solid red worms. Now for the Mustad hooks. Besides the fact I am not a EWG style fan I did like the catch at the top that held the bait. These and others I have seen do not have enough of a pronounced bend to hold very well at all. Not to.mention some very old school swivels I'll not use. So all in all I like about 50% of this box but the last ones have been better than average so I guess it's a wash. IMG_20160908_135637902_zpsbb4mee0r.jpg

Pro box is where it's at.. For those with out LTB use code "FREE4YOU" and get an extra premium bait.. From what I know about your extra bait.... You won't be displeased!

On 7/22/2016 at 3:25 PM, B1gD4ddy said:

\Most of what I was reading said to use bait casting rods...  I have never used one I am a spinning rod guy only because I'm really just getting into fishing from last season to this...

I'm sure others will disagree, but...

I fishing only spinning gear, too.  I could purchase baitcasting gear (have the resources) and have owned some in the past... I just flat prefer spinning gear.  

I don't think there's anything you can't do with spinning gear that you can do with baitcasters - and vice versa, in fairness.  Some things are EASIER or a little more well-suited to one type of setup or another.  But, with practice, you can flip and pitch and punch and so on with spinning gear if you prefer.

That said, save some cash and ask to play with a buddy's rod/reel and see what you think.  You might find you can really see the benefits of baitcasting tackle or really like it better.  

My MTB pro for September:

MTBprobox160916.jpg

--Strike King KVD Perfect Plastics Bullworm 10", green pumpkin candy

--R2S Whopper Plopper 90, Blueblood

--Rapala Scatter Rap Shad 07, Blueback Herring

--Baker Lures Suspending Shad

--Intruder X solo blade willow

--Seaspin moty grub

--Bait card

--sticker

--Dibble Digest

No match the hatch -- it seems they're discontinuing it. My last pro box for a while...I'm going to drop back down to regular box until spring.

Does anyone know if there are promo codes for MTB? I'm going to sign up.

On 12/6/2016 at 5:55 PM, 12poundbass said:

Does anyone know if there are promo codes for MTB? I'm going to sign up.

Use code TRYMTB for $10 off your first box! We have a great Pro box coming out this month as well ;)

20 minutes ago, MysteryTackleBox said:

Use code GET499 for $10 off your first box! We have a great Pro box coming out this month as well ;)

Thanks! Just signed up, looking forward to getting my first box!

• Like 1

Awesome early Christmas present for me. Got me the Lucky Tackle Box December box. Happy for me not so much for my mom. It was supposed to be a Christmas present. I am sure they will be hearing from her after they assured her it wouldn't come before Christmas. Nice baits inside this month

So my wife signed me up for LTB on Nov 25th with a guarantee Xmas delivery. It has yet to come and I'm a bit disappointed. I switched over from MTB and off to a rough start. I've subscribed with both in the past. So if it was "guaranteed" I am curious what they do do compensate if anything. ( sorry I have not read any posts lately and I'm on my phone so forgive me if this topic has already been discussed )

2 hours ago, Tlaz said:

So my wife signed me up for LTB on Nov 25th with a guarantee Xmas delivery. It has yet to come and I'm a bit disappointed. I switched over from MTB and off to a rough start. I've subscribed with both in the past. So if it was "guaranteed" I am curious what they do do compensate if anything. ( sorry I have not read any posts lately and I'm on my phone so forgive me if this topic has already been discussed )

My wife signed me up last month to MTB. I got an email when my box shipped and it showed up a couple days before the expected delivery. So far so good on my end. My box was more than I expected too.

Well, I bought the LTB on Feb. 22, Still no box, it is March 20th now. I bought the MTB night before last and it shipped yesterday.

I think  LTB  is somewhat of a scam, WE will see

David

I have had MTB for 4 months now and its getting old all ready. each box is the same.

1 expensive bait, a couple of bags of soft plastics, a jig and some hooks.  

I don't do a happy dance anymore.

Of course I haven't fished any of them yet. Sill frozen in Maine!