.ghoti.

Mystery Tackle Box / Lucky Tackle Box Q&A

1 hour ago, Sharkicane said:

I’m thinking of subscribing to one of these boxes, since I’m just starting out and have no tackle. They seem a great way to build some up quickly at a good price. Is the basic box sufficient? Or are the upgraded boxes (mid range boxes) so much higher value that they are the clear better choice? 

Both companies are the same no matter what some might say. That being said upgrade to the pro box. Much better!

2 hours ago, Sharkicane said:

I’m thinking of subscribing to one of these boxes, since I’m just starting out and have no tackle. They seem a great way to build some up quickly at a good price. Is the basic box sufficient? Or are the upgraded boxes (mid range boxes) so much higher value that they are the clear better choice? 

My wife got me MTB (basic) a couple years ago and then LTB (upgraded box) this year for Christmas.  It's hard to compare the products included since they were two different levels of box, but I'd definitely go with the upgraded box. 

I've had a some issues with one of the companies.  I'm not going to bash them publicly for it since I didn't pursue it and give them a chance to make things right. 

Regardless... I'd surely recommend it to anyone that enjoys bass fishing. 

Hmm alright so upgraded box is the way to go. I see MTB has an elite box shipping out this month. Maybe I’ll wait and see the reviews on that. 

If you want more high end baits, go with MTB elite.  If you want to build up your tacklebox quickly, go for LTB tournament series.

I found that MTB Pro Box was adding too much of their own brand (Catch Co).  But I love the elite box.  It will be my only box going forward.

On the LTB tournament box, many have been disappointed that some baits are repeats front prior months.  Not a concern for a new subscriber though. Alot of baits!

1 hour ago, ImThatGuy said:

I found that MTB Pro Box was adding too much of their own brand (Catch Co).  But I love the elite box.  It will be my only box going forward.

I also have mixed feelings about the Catch Co items. Some of them I like, and they permit MTB to put together coherent themes to the boxes. Some however have had serious quality control problems. And of course, since the catch-co brand doesn't actually retail anywhere other than MTB, the "retail value" of the items isn't very meaningful.

The catch-co items have almost entirely taken over the standard box now. This is probably fine if you're starting out. Not so fine, however, if one of the main reasons you subscribe is to get a variety of items from a diverse companies you might not know about. The last couple years I've done a pro box Apr-Sep and a standard box Oct-Mar. But I see no reason to keep getting the standard box anymore, so it looks like I'll just be a half-year subscriber from here on out.

The elite box is...well, sorry, it's just too much for a mystery selection of baits for my taste. I still like the pro box, though. Here's what I got in April:MTBapr18.thumb.jpg.7a856909c4d3ce4d61c51a44827618f8.jpg

Catch-Co Spinnerbait

Biospawn Exoswim swimbaits

Lucky John chunk tail grubs

Bagley Sunny B Twin Spin propbait

Castaic BD2.5 Squarebill crankbait

Al's Goldfish Hook Bonnets

Big Bite Baits Limit Maker finesse worm

Stickies Spinnerbait Trailer hook

10 hours ago, MIbassyaker said:

The elite box is...well, sorry, it's just too much for a mystery selection of baits for my taste. I still like the pro box, though. Here's what I got in April:MTBapr18.thumb.jpg.7a856909c4d3ce4d61c51a44827618f8.jpg

Catch-Co Spinnerbait

Biospawn Exoswim swimbaits

Lucky John chunk tail grubs

Bagley Sunny B Twin Spin propbait

Castaic BD2.5 Squarebill crankbait

Al's Goldfish Hook Bonnets

Big Bite Baits Limit Maker finesse worm

Stickies Spinnerbait Trailer hook

I was happy with the elite box this month.  A few classics along with some things I will try, but might now have purchased myself.

Savage Gear 3D Bat 90

Ima Little Stick

Strike Pro Inquisitor Jerkbait

Evergreen Crankbait (Daiwa)

Lunkerhunt Fetch Swimbaits

Perfection Lures Jig

Missile Baits Tomahawk Worm

20180414_072657.jpg

13 hours ago, ImThatGuy said:

If you want more high end baits, go with MTB elite.  If you want to build up your tacklebox quickly, go for LTB tournament series.

On the LTB tournament box, many have been disappointed that some baits are repeats front prior months.  Not a concern for a new subscriber though. Alot of baits!

That’s a pretty large box, how many boxes would you recommend?

Again I’m starting out, no tackle, the 3 month sub is like 140 dollars. So would the 3 tournament boxes be a better investment versus spending that 140 selecting your own stuff? 

Sorry not trying to over analyze everything, just on a tight budget so trying to maximize my value for money spent. 

1 hour ago, Sharkicane said:

That’s a pretty large box, how many boxes would you recommend?

Again I’m starting out, no tackle, the 3 month sub is like 140 dollars. So would the 3 tournament boxes be a better investment versus spending that 140 selecting your own stuff? 

Sorry not trying to over analyze everything, just on a tight budget so trying to maximize my value for money spent. 

If starting from scratch, I would just buy what I wanted from tackle warehouse.

My preferences

A few pack of senkos

Zoom baby brush hogs

Zoom original worm

Texas rig terminal tackle

Shakey head

Jigs

Chatterbait

Whopper Plopper

Squarebill

Jerkbait

Spinnerbait

If you can afford it after that, 6 months of either box will have you well stocked.

MTB also offers a beginners subscription, but I do not know much about it.

I joined the site here last month while looking for information and gear reviews in preparation for a fishing trip I had planned. Very glad I did by the way great community. While looking around the site I found this thread and decided to try both MTB and LTB. I ordered both Starting with the Pro and XL version respectively, but after receiving the MTB pro box I was impressed enough that I upgraded both to the Elite and Tournament series. I Had very little tackle all of mine was stolen while I was in the hospital several years ago I had one 3500 box and cheap spinning rod to start this year but since first of the year I have been building my collection up again as funds have permitted. With this situation almost all of the tackle I have gotten from both MTB and LTB will be useful to me. I have ordered a good deal of add on items with both services rods, reels, tackle, line clippers etc, and so far almost all of it has exceeded my expectations.

Trying to determine what is best for me I think going forward I will be keeping the LTB tourney series and I will explain why . While both services are great and a bargain for what is received for sure the LTB box seemed to serve my preferences for ways I like to fish and when and where I will fish. I did receive tackle that would expand my fishing more with MTB so if you subscribe to learn new ways of fishing MTB was successful more than LTB in this regard. Rebuilding my tackle collection however I feel will be better served by what I got from the LTB box. At the Elite and Tourney series level both boxes offered very high quality baits even including several from the Japanese market which are known to be of the highest quality I really feel both were equal in this regard.

I wish I could afford to keep both services active but I am unable to do so and since I must choose one I will be using LTB and from time to time I will get  MTB box as I can afford to. Again both services exceeded my expectations offer good value for the money spent. Kudos to both MTB and LTB great services good products and I look forward to the future orders I receive from both companies. I wish services such as these were available when I was younger healthier and able to fish more. For the benefit of anyone interested in what I received I will list the contents of both April boxes below and if anyone has any questions for me feel free to ask I will answer to the best of my ability.

MTB Elite Series Box April 2018-

Savage Gear 3D Bat Black color $19.99

IMA Little Stick $10.99

Lunkerhunt Fetch Swimbaits $6.99

Missile Baits Tomahawk Worms $4.39

Evergreen (Diawa) Custom crankbait $14.95

Strike Pro Inquisitor 110(jerkbait) $9.48

Perfection Lures Standing Jig $5.99

Cost of box-$39.99

Estimated value of box-$72.78

LTB Tournament Series Box April 2018-

Livingston Lures Primetyme CB 2.0 $9.99

Monsterbass Patriot $10.99

Lunkerhunt Prop Fish $9.99

Megabass Griffon 6cc DD $24.99

Perfection Lures Sure Hook Up Shaky Head $5.00

Jenko Fishing Rip Knocker $9.99

Buddha Bait Co Baby Momma $4.99

V&M Drop Shadow $4.99

Biwaa TailGunR $5.99

Doomsday Tackle Action Trailer $6.99

Riot Baits T3 Taddle Tail $4.99

Gambler Lures Floating Worm $3.99

Mustad Power Lock Plus w/Spring Keeper $2.99

VMC Powershot 4/0 $4.00

Cost of box-$46.99

Estimated value of box-$109.88

Sorry I am unable to provide pictures at this time and I have already placed the items in storage boxes but I saw above a photo of the MTB box identical to mine and I am sure someone will be posting a photo of the LTB box soon enough. I hope my review here will help someone interested in these services but on the fence or undecided about ordering or which to order for them and the goals they may have. Have a good one and tight lines all.

• Like 2

I subscribed to MTB for a year....liked it at first but was tired of all the Catch Co stuff at the end. Switched to LTB and would have to say my first box had more stuff that I'll use than any of my MTB boxes. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2018 at 7:38 AM, Dens228 said:

I subscribed to MTB for a year....liked it at first but was tired of all the Catch Co stuff at the end. Switched to LTB and would have to say my first box had more stuff that I'll use than any of my MTB boxes. 

I did not mind the catch co items they seem to be of good quality and on par with most of the more well known brand baits I have used. What made MTB my second choice was the fact that I am restocking my essential items and not trying to find new methods and baits at this time so the baits I got from LTB were more suited to methods I know and use currently. In the future once I have a better stock of tackle I think MTB would be very interesting for learning or trying new fishing methods or baits. Again for me I thought both had a very high quality of tackle and both services offered choices that would be effective in catching fish. I did not receive anything that seemed useless just with MTB some of the baits were more method and time specific which some what limits how the items could be used. I am going the 29-30th to a lake a few hours away from my home for few days of fishing for smallmouth, wipers, and catfish mainly I will get good use of the baits I got with my boxes and look forward to trying a few I have not used and seeing how they work. I hope to continue receiving the tournament series box from LTB and throwing a elite box in from MTB as finances allow.

I went to a small local lake the other night and I was able to use several items I got in a catfish box from LTB and had great success with few items that I would normally not have bought to try so the catfish box added some diversity my fishing already. I have a feeling that over time I will really enjoy the attraction of getting random but useful baits each month. I hope I continue to get things I am happy with and that the service does not become repetitive or less useful and interesting. I really wish I could afford using both services each month but I just cant make myself do it I am to cheap I guess. I hope everyone else who orders is as happy with what is offered as I have been. Good luck on the water and tight lines all.

• Like 1

Got home after work excited to open my first Lucky Tackle Box. Definitely a kid on Christmas feeling and I was not disappointed! Everything was new to me. So this morning before work I jumped up early and sped down to the lake to try out the 2 new Rage Tails, first time ever with Rage Tails. Took me a bit to get the touch with them, a Lizard and the magnum bug which was pretty big.

BEST DAY OF THE SEASON SO FAR!!! Love the rage tails and can't wait to try out the other lures in the box.

Bad news is I gotta wait a whole month for the next one... ;)

Thanks LTB for a great box. My first and most definitely not my last!

So my first MTB  came in the mail today. I am pretty confused because it looks like I received  March's box! Anyone know how this happened  and how I can get July's  box instead?

8 minutes ago, Joshua van Wyk said:

So my first MTB  came in the mail today. I am pretty confused because it looks like I received  March's box! Anyone know how this happened  and how I can get July's  box instead?

Doesn't the fact that you received the box in July make it "July's box"?  

When I had my MTB...not all boxes were identical...

Does LTB not include stickers any more? I haven't had one in a few months.

I know it sounds petty - but I like stickers haha. I've had the little magazine/booklet be forgotten a few times but stickers = life haha.

I gotta admit I just got august's MTB pro.... it's a pretty knockout box. With the exception of a flat sided squarebill, it's all super season appropriate. 

14 minutes ago, jonnyfish said:

Does MTB ship to Canada without any bells and whistles?

Yup! Free shipping!

• Thanks 1