Tery Songz

did the bass spawn in memphis tn? what snake is this?

hey i went fishing today and i threw my ribbontail worm near the bank with alot of rocks with a school of baby bluegills and a bluegill inbetwen those rocks would hit my ribbon tail litteraly every time i put it near his nose. so i thought there protecting the nest and i heard the bluegill will spawn after the bass. does that mean the bass has spawned already? because that would explain why i was pulling out a bass every 10 mins of throwing it near this certain area of the lake. i think they have there beds there. and also i was fishing near the shore and a snake came out of the rocks with a baby bullhead catfish in its mouth and it scared me as it came up since i was close to it lol and it tried to eat the catfish for about 30 mins until it had it in its throat at first i thought it was a copperhead due to its colors but its pattern looks like a water moccasin kinda? it also had a copper/orange sunset color belly which was interesting so i can identify it. thanks

20160511_192625.jpg

GUYS my mistake i dont know why it posted this 4 times lol! i know some one is gonna delete the other 3 posts so keep up this one with the picture tho please. thanks!

also the catfish it had eaten i had touched it with a stick and the catfish smelt disgusting and it was discolored and mushy so i think the snake may be venemous since the catfish was disolved and stinky

GUYS my mistake i dont know why it posted this 4 times lol! i know some one is gonna delete the other 3 posts so keep up this one with the picture tho please. thanks!

also the catfish it had eaten i had touched it with a stick and the catfish smelt disgusting and it was discolored and mushy so i think the snake may be venemous since the catfish was disolved and stinky

if you can tell me what snake this is it would stop my hour long google search journey

EDIT incase any one was wondering i had the snake dead in this picture. i fished near an apartment complex and seen lots of kids gill fishing and near the shores where the grass is about a foot high a kid would probaly die if the snake had bit them

Looks like a cotton mouth to me

• Like 1

yea i thought that too but the sunset orange belly it had interested me and also the patterns dont really from what i seen match thoose of a cotton mouth? i dont know could be me any one else also think this could be a moccasin?

Looks like a banded water snake to me. 

• Like 2

It's a Northern water snake.

It's a Northern water snake. Obviously not venomous with that rounded head. The body is usually way thicker if it was a cottonmouth too. They're not long snakes, just super thick like a copperhead. 

ok i compared pictures and it looks like a northern water snake. the head tho actually isnt rounded i jabbed a stick into its head a few times so it may be off but it had a triangle shaped head and also the belly of the snake was ltteraly orange sunset belly color. any idea why? northern water snakes have a diffrent coloured belly, do you think its a hybrid or something? because some moccasins have orange bellies, and it was also very bright, maybe it was a hybrid between a moccasin and a northern? the catfish it was trying to eat while i killed it smelt disgusting like a sewer and it look decayed so i thought it was venomous since its body looked decayed and was soggy and mushy and where the bite marks on the catfish was it was white all around . idk

i agree on it being a northern but is it a norther/moccasin im not a snake expert so i wouldent know.

thanks guys!

The majority of the spawn should be over but not all bass spawn at exactly the same time so there could be a few stragglers. Post-spawn can be tough and that sounds like what you're experiencing. FYI - I live in the same general latitude and that's the situation over here, may be slightly different in your location. 

Looks like a water snake to me but hard to tell on my phone.

Word of warning - all snakes in TN are protected species so you probably don't want to be posting pics of a dead snake you killed on the internet.

LC

I agree, water snake. They are actually moccasins too, just not poisonous. The cottonmouth water moccasin is the one to look out for. 

Cottonmouths are noticeable thicker in the body, they will be about as thick as a coke can if they are much more than a couple of feet long. Also, the eyes will be elliptical like a cats eyes, and the head will be distinctly triangular and larger than a water snakes head. 

Dont know about the orange coloration. 

On the spawn, yes most of the bass spawning is done here. The fish I've been catching do not appear to have any eggs although I haven't cut one open to check :) 

The bass you were catching near the bream beds were probably there to feed on bream, that is a good place to fish right now, I've caught several ol gooduns hanging around bream beds in the last couple of weeks!

I was bream fishing at poplar tree a few years ago and had an 8lb bass eat a bream off of my line, never overlook those bream beds for bass fishing this time of year.

1 hour ago, loudcherokee said:

Word of warning - all snakes in TN are protected species so you probably don't want to be posting pics of a dead snake you killed on the internet.

LC

ok i see but the thing is its near an apartment and woulda gotten killed anyways by any of the workers here, and people fish this lake sometimes so a kid could have gotten an infection probaly if to get bitten, and these water snakes eat alot of fish here, every snake if seen that is eating has a dinner plate size catfish in there mouths, mfbab that would explain why i caught thoose bass all on a squarbill sexy shad, it could represent some bluegill since it had chartruese in it :D

any one been to the arkabutla spillway recently? i enjoy going there often with a 30lb leader and a cheap jerk bait catching 10-20 pound gar left and right, its an awesome fight

Cottonmouths are usually a very aggressive snake. It is one of the few snakes that I don't feel comfortable around. The obvious sign is the white patch located in their mouths. However, they are a much shorter and stocky reptile as stated. Water snakes are often confused with them and have a head similar to venomous species. The banded pattern and length pretty much marked it off the list as a cottonmouth. I will rarely ever kill a snake unless it leaves me no choice. Majority of snake bites often result from people attempting to kill them. I can assure you that they are just as scared as you and will try to avoid you at all cost. Now cottonmouths...

16 minutes ago, XzyluM said:

Cottonmouths are usually a very aggressive snake. It is one of the few snakes that I don't feel comfortable around. The obvious sign is the white patch located in their mouths. However, they are a much shorter and stocky reptile as stated. Water snakes are often confused with them and have a head similar to venomous species. The banded pattern and length pretty much marked it off the list as a cottonmouth. I will rarely ever kill a snake unless it leaves me no choice. Majority of snake bites often result from people attempting to kill them. I can assure you that they are just as scared as you and will try to avoid you at all cost. Now cottonmouths...

thanks for the info man, i know you didnt try offending me or anything but i am careful the stick i had was long enough for me to be at a safe distance i took precaution from a distance its colours when it was in the water made me think its  a copper head then after i killed it , it looked like a moccasin i still had a doubt and googled it tho :D if i actually see a venomous snake ill kill it theres no reason for it to live. a bite from a non venemous one would probaly give you an infection anyways it kills fish and just isnt any good. if a snake is out of reach for example i wont try to kill it if i cant reach it etc, thanks tho

A little research goes a long way. However, snakes regardless of whether they are venomous or non-venomus play a very important role in our ecosystem. One of the more obvious reasons is keeping the insect and rodent population in check. You're far more likely to get an infection from stepping on a nail or scrapping against a rusted piece of metal than an non-venomous snake bite. You are also very unlikely to die from a copperhead bite even if left untreated because they have a very mild venom; it would however be the worst pain you have ever felt in your life for about two weeks. Here's a fun fact, you are probably ten times more likely to get salmonella from handling raw chicken than from a snake. The negative stigma with snakes is simply because people are terrified of them and uneducated.

• Like 1

That's a northern water snake.  It's harmless.  I've been bit by hundreds of snakes (and everytime it's because I've picked it up, not that it attacked me).  No infections.  No problems.  They are nothing to worry about.

8 hours ago, loudcherokee said:

LC

Wait, he killed it on the internet???

10 hours ago, Fisher-O-men said:

Wait, he killed it on the internet???

no, i posted a picture that i killed it, i thought it was a moccasin i dont know but it also looked pregnant since in 1 area its stomach was fat. it didnt look like it ate something, so thats like i killed alot of snakes :D