Jump to content
Last_Cast

Going to Ft Myers..

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone,

 

Going to Ft Myers to visit my mom on friday for about 6 days, Me and my buddy are looking to go out fishing.
Was thinking about okeechobee, any suggestions of what/ where to go.
I've heard nothing but good things about FL fishing and want to have some awesome stories when I get home

 

Thanks
-Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your going to okeechobee, get a guide.  The lake can be overwhelming.  If you go from the bank the lakes around 'Ava Maria university hold nice bass.  It's in the west Naples area.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with geo, If you want to fish Okeechobee.

If you want to try a smaller water lake,  Lake Trafford holds some quality fish also. Nowhere near the level of the Big O tho. 

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the above 100%. The Big O is very overwhelming. I recommend trying lake Istokpoga in Highlands County. Monster bass are being caught right now. Look for heavy vegetation in deeper water(5ft is deep for that lake). Jig and craw trailer, rattle traps and plastic worms with heavy weights work really well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got back from a 3 day trip at Okeechobee last weekend. That lake is tough right now, apparently they had a record amount of rain earlier this year and it jacked up the water level there and also muddied it up. We caught some fish but it was not as productive as it had been in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clearest water we found latley was all the way back into Pelican Bay. 

There were some small areas before you get there, but with some emerged hydrilla, Kissimmee grass and some wierd looking plants most of the inner bay looked good. 

 

Mike 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2016 at 0:19 PM, geo g said:

If your going to okeechobee, get a guide.  The lake can be overwhelming.  If you go from the bank the lakes around 'Ava Maria university hold nice bass.  It's in the west Naples area.

 

On 5/15/2016 at 1:13 PM, Mike L said:

Agree with geo, If you want to fish Okeechobee.

If you want to try a smaller water lake,  Lake Trafford holds some quality fish also. Nowhere near the level of the Big O tho. 

 

Mike

 

On 5/15/2016 at 1:19 PM, DINK WHISPERER said:

I agree with the above 100%. The Big O is very overwhelming. I recommend trying lake Istokpoga in Highlands County. Monster bass are being caught right now. Look for heavy vegetation in deeper water(5ft is deep for that lake). Jig and craw trailer, rattle traps and plastic worms with heavy weights work really well. 

 

On 5/16/2016 at 4:07 PM, georgeyew said:

I just got back from a 3 day trip at Okeechobee last weekend. That lake is tough right now, apparently they had a record amount of rain earlier this year and it jacked up the water level there and also muddied it up. We caught some fish but it was not as productive as it had been in the past.

 

On 5/16/2016 at 4:10 PM, Mike L said:

Clearest water we found latley was all the way back into Pelican Bay. 

There were some small areas before you get there, but with some emerged hydrilla, Kissimmee grass and some wierd looking plants most of the inner bay looked good. 

 

Mike 

Thanks everyone, I'll try to google map the lakes and check em out when im there.

Should I be cautious of any friendly critters in the water?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Last_Cast said:

 

Be more cautious of the snakes while walking the bank in the grass.  I see snakes almost every bank trip.  Where you see one you will usually see more.  I would wear leather boots.  Just part of living near the everglades.

 

 

Thanks everyone, I'll try to google map the lakes and check em out when im there.

Should I be cautious of any friendly critters in the water?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Friendly Critters in the water" No I wouldn't be. ;)

Just stay on the boat and....

Watch for anything trying to crawl up the motors,

Falling from overhanging bushes,

Ducks hitting you or thier droppings falling on your head,

Mama gator showing her displeasure if you get to close to her nest,

If you snag a gar just cut the line,

If you hook a mud fish just cut the line for a different reasons, 

Just Don't go in the water.

Have Fun

 

Mike

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike L said:

"Friendly Critters in the water" No I wouldn't be. ;)

Just stay on the boat and....

Watch for anything trying to crawl up the motors,

Falling from overhanging bushes,

Ducks hitting you or thier droppings falling on your head,

Mama gator showing her displeasure if you get to close to her nest,

If you snag a gar just cut the line,

If you hook a mud fish just cut the line for a different reasons, 

Just Don't go in the water.

Have Fun

 

Mike

 

FL sounds great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fishing Capitol of the World!

 

 

Mike 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2016 at 11:18 AM, Last_Cast said:

FL sounds great

Yeah, on second thought don't leave the hotel.  It's too dangerous.  But please spend a lot of money, our state taxes aren't going to get paid on their own!  :handshake-147:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. Went fishing today. I bought panther repellant from a local shop along with my fishing equipment. Still felt unsafe. I've been locked in my house ever since. It's been 3 days. SOS!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×