loudcherokee

Chatterbait Trailers

I just ordered some crazy jigs from *** and was curious about the trailers. On Zman chatterbaits I usually just stick with the trailer that came with the chatterbait.

What would you guys use as a trailer, specifically for a bluegill colored chatterbait? Chunks, craws, paddletails, grubs? What color would go good with the bluegill skirt?

I also ordered one in white/chartruse. The only white bait I have I think is a zoom trick worm. What else would work for white?

LC

I like to use Zoom Super Flukes or Yamamoto Swim Senkos as a chatterbait trailer. For a bluegill colors, I use Green Pumpkin and color the tail chartreuse with either Spike-It or JJs Magic. For white, I typically go with White or Pearl. 

• Like 2

I exclusively throw small swimbaits on the back of my chatterbaits, I know a lot of people who like rage craw style trailers as well. 

I like the LFT Magic Shad Boot Tail - the 4.5 inch model as well as several different other boot tail swimbaits including the Skinny Dipper, The Zooms baits swimming Super Fluke, the SK Caffeine shad, Berkley Powerbait 4.5" Rib Shad and the Berkley Havoc Grass Pig.

My newest addition to that line up of trailers is the Z Man Razor Shadz ~

btw - that SK Rage Swimmer looks like it has All Kinds Of Potential as a trailer as well.

A-Jay

Use a Fluke or a Zoom Split Tail.

For bluegill colors, as said above, anything green pumpkin and, if you have a dye like jjs, dye the tip chartreuse. For white/chartruese, I have been using a white Zoom super fluke.

The Berkley havoc line, it turns out, also has a whole bunch of baits that work quite well as chatterbait trailers -- grass pig, subwoofer, beat shad, and rigged veritically, the pit boss and devils spear.

I like to use Reaction Innovations Skinny Dippers and Big Bite Baits Cane Thumper...Yamamoto Swimming Senkos also work great.

I use pit boss and paca craw or baby paca craw. I'll use any color that is in the skirt first. Oranges Black and Greens if those don't make it happen I'll go contrasting colors. 

Keitech easy shiner and a very good bait that nobody talks about, the berkley havoc deuce

The deuce in green pumpkin sumthin looks really good on a bluegill colored chatterbait

@addicted2fishing

I've never seen this before. That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing 

Use whatever you have, almost anything will work for a trailer!  I mainly stick to Kalin or Zoom 4"/5" single tail grubs.

• Like 1

I usually use Zoom super chunk or fat albert.  Trailer matches the skirt.

I have had success with almost every trailer I have tried and now I pick them based on color, and what I am trying to mimic or if I want to keep the bait high or sink quickly...

Boot tailed swimbaits are never a bad choice, Grubs, Flukes actually have worked well for me on some days, and I also like a double tail grub, but the Rage Menace has become my new favorite since you can split the tail or keep it together which gives the bait 2 totally different actions...I seem to land more fish with the smaller trailers and I keep the skirt I just cut them shorter and I also like to dip tails in Chart colors....Shad also have a yellow tint in alot of the water I fish...Even Crappie have a chart color down the middle, same with some bass, not bright, but a yellow color and chart tails seem to always be a good choice and it is good in all water colors from my experience...

7 hours ago, chubaka said:

I put on a Keitech Swing Impact Fat in Bluegill flash color.

Yes! 4" Keitech swing impacts is all I use on chatterbaits. They have a ton of action. Dip those tails in some JJ's and you're golden. 

Pit Boss or a Rage Menace rigged sideways are a couple of my favorites.

2/3 of a stick O

The Zman Diesel Minnow if I want a boot tail bait, and the new Razor Shad looks great on one too. 

Rage Menace Sideways.

• Thanks 1

For a bluegill color I would rig a beaver style bait vertically to give a larger profile.

For something a little different, I threw on a gambler burner craw the other day and they smoked it. We had a major cold front roll through and I hadn't had a bite on any of my other baits or trailers all day, but that did the trick. If everyone in the area is known for throwing a particular type of trailer, sometimes it just takes something a little different that the fish haven't been conditioned to. Don't be afraid to experiment and try new things.

• Like 1