loudcherokee

Crankbait Identification

For crankbaits, is there an easy way to tell how deep they go or which ones are deep, shallow, mid-range etc? I usually don't keep original packaging and for alot of these it's been so long since I bought or received them I don't have a clue what they are.

This is of course speaking of crankbaits with no written markings.

LC

tmp_7644-20160528_004055378965758.jpg

When you first buy them, write the running depth on the bill in black sharpie. If you lose the package, you may have to do some research via manufacturer's sites, etc to figure out the running depth, but once you do, sharpie that ****.  It'll make your life a million times easier. 

• Like 1

Generally, the bigger the bill, the deeper they dive.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tim Kelly said:

Generally, the bigger the bill, the deeper they dive.

Agree with Tim. The longer the bill the deeper they usually dive. How deep can be a mystery if you can't identify the manufacturer. Even so I think when the manufacturers test the baits they must run them on light line because I can never seem to achieve the depths that they are rated for.

To get a lure to run as deep as it can, you need to use thinner line. You also need to make long casts or troll the lure. The amount of line out has a big effect but only to a point. Some people think that pushing the tip of the rod under the water will make the lure run deeper. It will, but only for the last few feet when there isn't much line out. Conversely, holding the rod above your head has no effect until there is not much line out. The speed of the retrieve can have an effect. Running it too fast or too slow will cause it not to run as deep as it can.

It is hard to see some of those baits but it looks to me that your deepest divers are either the Matuz Kincho minnow or the bluegill Rapala on the left side of the picture which may be a shad rap or other crank and it is tough to see the bait in the upper left corner of the picture which looks like it may be another deeper diver. Other than those 3 baits, most seem to be shallow divers with a few mid depth, I'd say the baits range from 3' to 6' respectfully.

2 deep divers located in the upper left corner, medium diver 3rd lure under the deep divers and a Shad rap long bill medium diver. All the other lure are shallow divers, 1 top water and 1 walleye medium diver and a few suspending jerk baits.

Shallow = 1' - 4'

Mecium = 5' - 8'

Deep = 9' - 14'

Can't tell by looking if any lures are sinking types, they appear to be floating diving lures.

I haven't ever marked a lure, should be able to remember how each lure runs and I have hundreds to keep track of. Try looking a some fishing catalogs and identify what you have.

Tom