Joshua Colvey

Kayak or 2 man pontoon type boat

So i am having a debate with myself lol. I am looking at both a kayak and a 2 man pontoon boat kinda like this. 

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/pelican-bass-raider-10e-102-pontoon-boat?repChildCatid=1408793

There is a river called spring river that we float down a lot and would love to use the kayak there as well. It has some very shallow sports in it and a few turns here and there. No real rapids or anything to speak of. 

We have a few smaller lakes as well to fish in and we have some large lakes within driving distance. 

It would be me and my wife most of the time but if i do a kayak she will get her own as we kayak now but not in a kayak that can be used as a fishing boat really lol.

Any input and advice. 

those bass raiders don't draw a ton of water.  my brother has one and he's a big dude and i'm not small.  together we're probably like 425 pounds, plus a battery, trolling motor and gear and it draws very little water surprisingly.  it's a great little unit to fish out of honestly.  now on the river though, it can be a little cumbersome to maneuver.  i have a kayak and prefer that on the rivers, but his little boat is awesome in small lakes/reservoirs.

22 minutes ago, buzzed bait said:

those bass raiders don't draw a ton of water.  my brother has one and he's a big dude and i'm not small.  together we're probably like 425 pounds, plus a battery, trolling motor and gear and it draws very little water surprisingly.  it's a great little unit to fish out of honestly.  now on the river though, it can be a little cumbersome to maneuver.  i have a kayak and prefer that on the rivers, but his little boat is awesome in small lakes/reservoirs.

What do you mean by  "Draw Water"?

42 minutes ago, Joshua Colvey said:

What do you mean by  "Draw Water"?

sorry, as in takes a small amount of water to make it float, can float in very shallow water.

HAHA ok i completely understand. Sorry im new to the boat terms. Been around boats but something i dont know yet . Thank you for the info. It being able to float in very shallow water is a big plus. The rivers here are not bad unless the current is up and then it moves kinda fast. Im gonna guess a trolling motor wouldnt get you back up river at all lol.. Not even sure a small motor would push one of these up river. It would be more for calm lakes and so on. Father in law has a large fishing boat that we would take to bigger lakes.

• Like 1

It would normally be myself and my wife or myself and a buddy. We had looked into buying 2 kayaks but then i would be looking at 2 of almost everything, Paddles, Tethers, Anchor, Trolly system, all the little stuff  and no real way to store larger fish in kayak and more than one on a stringer in water by kayak would be a headache when paddling. lol. 

If i did one of the bass raiders i could do the boat, all the small stuff, 2 anchors, standard paddle, rod holders,a fish finder, trolling motor and batteries with charger and would have about the same cost.

The weight on that 2-man is 145 lbs. Most kayaks are below 65. Something to keep in mind if you want to use it alone. Just my $0.02.

You don't really need the anchor system, etc. for kayak fishing. I have an anchor I never take because it's too much of a hassle to deal with.

I just go back and forth with myself on what to do. The wife on the other hand is like well it dont matter to me im game for whatever lol. 

I tried making a pros and cons list from the things i knew about them both but just made it worse on myself haha.

I have only fished out of a set in kayak and a true bass boat. So the lack of knowledge about boats is my issue and about the 2. Ive always heard being up over the water is better but i dont know. 

Im not to worried about the 145 lbs. Worst case i have a 6x10 trailer i can put plywood and carpet down and slide it up into that. 

I have a Bass Raider 10e.  If you plan on fishing in ponds or small lakes most of the time, I'd go with the Bass Raider vs kayak.. You can go in very shallow water as the other posters have mentioned with this boat.. However, it is hard to maneuver in wind and swift water.... Just IMHO

PS. Check out the the other forum on the Bass Raider....

Bass raider. Never used a kayak but couldn't imagine fishing out of anything even smaller than a bass raider. I like being able to stand and fish and I do it with ease out of my bass raider 8e.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wetahook2 said:

I have a Bass Raider 10e.  If you plan on fishing in ponds or small lakes most of the time, I'd go with the Bass Raider vs kayak.. You can go in very shallow water as the other posters have mentioned with this boat.. However, it is hard to maneuver in wind and swift water.... Just IMHO

PS. Check out the the other forum on the Bass Raider....

Other forum? 

Joshua, sounds like you already purchased the raider in your head. Go get it. If you don't like it, sell it or hold on to it for the kids. 

On 6/3/2016 at 11:14 PM, Caliyak said:

Joshua, sounds like you already purchased the raider in your head. Go get it. If you don't like it, sell it or hold on to it for the kids. 

Yeah i have..... Now trying to figure out motor situation. 80 lb in back and 30 up front or 3.5 gas in back and 50 up front. Cost is about the same but weight of batteries are more when using a 24 volt rear motor and 12v front motor.. So many decisions lol..To bad it wont hold more than 600 lb lol

15 hours ago, Joshua Colvey said:

Yeah i have..... Now trying to figure out motor situation. 80 lb in back and 30 up front or 3.5 gas in back and 50 up front. Cost is about the same but weight of batteries are more when using a 24 volt rear motor and 12v front motor.. So many decisions lol..To bad it wont hold more than 600 lb lol

The fun of buying toys for your toys. Have fun and enjoy. 

On 6/3/2016 at 11:14 PM, Caliyak said:

trying to nail down a fish finder. 

Think i may have narrowed the finders down to 3. I am looking to buy this with the ability to move it to a larger boat in the future and also be able to make it mobile so i can take it when my father in law and i go fish in his larger boat. Any input would be great or alternatives.

I would love to have side and down scan along with gps, water temp and so on. Thank you guys a lot so far you ahve been a great help.

Lowrance Elite 5 Ti TotalScan Fishfinder/GPS Combo

Garmin STRIKER™ 7sv CHIRP Sonar/GPS Fishfinder Combo - but not gps or maps

Humminbird Helix 5 SI GPS Fishfinder

Have you looked into the sea eagle? I prefer it over the bass raider style boat. Cuts through the water faster and is more stable. 

20160101_151539.jpg

11 minutes ago, etrout72 said:

Have you looked into the sea eagle? I prefer it over the bass raider style boat. Cuts through the water faster and is more stable. 

Inflatable + :fishing2: = bad day for me.

I have never had good luck with anything that was inflatable staying inflated. I had a small boat once and it was a nightmare. 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2016 at 11:15 PM, Joshua Colvey said:

Other forum?