PHX

I Need A New Baitcaster

Hello,

I am a new fisherman with about 6 months under my belt.  I recently got a baitcaster and LOVE it!  I want to get another (probably don't need it, but o well).  Here are the 4 rods I have so far: 6'6" L spinning, 6'6" M spinning, 7' MH spinning, and 6'10" M casting.  It seem almost unanimous that a 7' MH is an all around useful setup, but would it be silly to get that since I have a spinning rod like that.  Im open to suggestions.  I mainly shore fish, but can see a boat in the near future.  Thanks! 

I'd still get a mh casting rod.  It is such a versatile rod.

13 minutes ago, Yudo1 said:

I'd still get a mh casting rod.  It is such a versatile rod.

X2  And you will find yourself never using the spinning rod.  :lol:

• Like 1

OK.  MH it is then.  Should I go 7'0", or try a different length?

I hardly ever use the MH spinning rod now that I have the M casting rod.  I wish I would have just got that from the start.  Everyone says to start spinning, but within a hour of fishing with a baitcaster I was good to go.  I'm by no mean a pro with it, but I can still catch fish with minimal backlash. 

• Like 1

7' is a great length. I find 6'10" to be nice as well.

7' my favorite all around do all length.  

Also I agree, once I went casting I never picked up my MH spinning setup again.  I sold it pretty quickly.

• Like 1

OK.  Thanks for the help!!  I think im going to order the *** from No. *** Co. in a 7' MH, I have heard great things.  Now just need to decide on a reel.  I have been looking at the *** reels.  Heard good stuff, but want to play with one before I buy.  I have also been looking at the Daiwa Tatula CT Type R. 

Just keep in mind that the rod you are describing (if its anything like 13's rod) is a fairly heavy rod. Great for pitching jigs around heavy cover and what not but not the greatest senko rod for instance. Many companies, like the one you're talking about, rate their rods differently than say G Loomis. A loomis MH will in fact be lighter than the 8 MH and a better all around rod in most cases. Perhaps think about what techniques you'll be fishing most often with this rod and decide from there. If you're fishing in and around cover a bunch, then the 8 will be great.

As for the reel, go with the tatula if you think it looks nice. I have one from the last gen and I love it.

I have that rod you're talking about.  At least if I'm reading the asterisks correctly.  I have mine paired with a Bass Pro Extreme reel and I love the way that reel looks and feels on that rod.  It does feel a little heavier that its MH rating.  Honestly I can throw a weightless senko further on my 6' MH Berkeley Cherrywood that I got on clearance for $10.  That's not necessarily an bad thing it just needs a little more weight to properly load the rod.  I can throw a weighted plastic worm a country mile, a senko is just right on the edge of its sweet spot.  Since you already have a M power casting rod you should be covered on the lighter plastics so it should be a fine rod for you. attached is a pic of my rod with the extreme reel. 

IMG_20160117_103848789_zpsolhcfun0.jpg 

I wonder why it added all the **** for the brand names.  You are correct tstraub, that is the rod I was talking about.  The thirteen (13) fishing reel I was looking at was the Concept "A" 

1 hour ago, PHX said:

OK.  Thanks for the help!!  I think im going to order the *** from No. *** Co. in a 7' MH, I have heard great things.  Now just need to decide on a reel.  I have been looking at the *** reels.  Heard good stuff, but want to play with one before I buy.  I have also been looking at the Daiwa Tatula CT Type R. 

Go look at Cabela's Arachnid - same reel as the Daiwa Type R, with a couple extra bearings for $180 (on sale for $110 right now if you like 6.3:1 ratio and left hand crank).

You kinda went about it the other direction, but a MH BC combo is usually the first one most people buy. It's the one that fits the most techniques. I have 2 MH BC combos. I use one 7'0" for T-rigs and single hook presentations. I use the other 6'6" for heavier reaction baits like spinnerbaits and lately, as a backup topwater rod.

Further North that funny you mention that reel.  I stopped at a cabelas on the way home and looked at that reel.  I also happen to be a lefty retrieve.  I didnt like the color, but it does seem like a great reel.  I liked the profile of the *** a little more.

I have two lefty reels I'll sell you cheap.

A new in the box daiwa procaster magforce v 100tyd and a used once lews ssg1hl lfs 85 tyd.

20160529_114123.jpg

3 hours ago, BassassinX said:

I have two lefty reels I'll sell you cheap.

A new in the box daiwa procaster magforce v 100tyd and a used once lews ssg1hl lfs 85 tyd.

20160529_114123.jpg

There is more than one Daiwa with Magforce V.  There is more than one Daiwa Procaster.  Which model are you talking about?  Only one I have experience with is the 100HN.  A lot of reel for the money, but got mine on closeout for a lot less.  Lucky me.  :D