caskey_b

Went into the drink on Tuesday....

First time in my 25+ years of fishing that I went into the water...

about 30 minutes into fishing Tuesday morning, my baitcaster spools up on me, line wraps around the reel itself, and the weight/momentum of the lure pulls the rod out of my hands and into the drink. It landed starboard side about 4 feet out from the boat. Quickly though about dropping to my knees to try to grab it, but it landed tip down in the water and I saw it was going down FAST!

So, I use fairly expensive equipment (this particular combo running almost $600). I always think about "what if my stuff goes overboard, what would I do?"... always knew I'd definitely jump in after it, especially if I am in water that I cannot see the bottom. I was in about 6' of water at the time the rod went in, but clarity was less than 1 foot.... 

Now, back to the rod sinking like a rock.... out of instinct I dive in (yes head first, feet in the air), grabbing the butt of the rod with my hands right before it slips away under the surface.

I don't really care to be in murky water, so I was back in the boat within about 5 seconds... I bet the whole ordeal from when the rod left my hands to me being back in the boat with the rod MIGHT have been a total of 10 seconds MAX.

After I got back in and gathered myself, I realize my glasses are still on (THANK GOD I didn't lose those), and I had just put my cellphone down on the front deck just minutes before going in.

My uncle was on the back deck and witnessed it all and said nothing, just started laughing hysterically after I got back in. We had a good laugh for several minutes.

As far as the fishing that day... EXTREMELY slow... but this fish below, and me falling in made for a trip to remember for sure.

IMAG2368_zpsownpuhga.jpg

FB_IMG_1466557666031_zpsr92z0z30.jpg

20160621_084641_zpsenvsghop.jpg

6' Light action rod, 8lb test line.... took a good 15-20 minutes to get it in the boat

• Like 8

Nice carp! Also glad you got your rod back and didn't lose anything in the process!

Jeff

• Like 1

Very nice carp!They are a blast to catch on light tackle.

• Like 1

Yep, carp are fun to catch,  especially on light gear!  Wow, good job there!

• Like 1

That's one of the main reasons I take everything out of my pockets as soon as I get in the boat. I've yet to fall out of the boat, but I know it will happen some day. 

I'm sure that carp was a heck of a ride. 

• Like 2

Glad you are OK and you saved your rod and reel.

I have not gone into the water but have launched myself off the side of the boat to grab a rod or two without leaving the boat.

Lost one earlier this year when I hooked the tip of a spinning rig when casting and over she went. I did not go in after her as the water was about 15 to 20 feet which was just too deep to take a chance.

Nice carp, too.

the lake is fish has 1 tdz m all decked out with new bearings and sweet team diawa rod. Also 1 pair of $300 eyeglasses 1 chair from my little bass boat.

tdz and rod was lost thanks to wife dropping it in  eyeglasses and chair lost to me trying to get rod and reel back

I've wondered about this when I fish off a boat, which is typically a very deep lake going over 200 feet in places. Even near the banks are steep drop offs that are 90 feet in some areas.

Do those things that attach to the bottom of your rod work well without adding alot of weight to your rig? I seen them awhile back but can't remember the name. I think they would self inflate like the Mustang PFD vests if I'm not mistaken.

LC

I cant remember losing but 1 combo.Had a live worm on a bream rod in the river.I was about to go home and reached out to grab the rod to reel in and it looked like someone had attached it to a rocket or something.It literally flew off the dock.I dont think it even hit the water for 10 feet or so.Always wondered what it was.

But I could probably outfit 2 -3 fishermen with all the outfits lost by my son or stolen by outlaws in my family!!

And, well done on the carp! You must be really good if you got that with 8 pd test in 15 minutes!!

Welcome to this most exclusive club! I was able to lose, and later retrieve, a white rod in a similar, albeit less flattering way, as what you experienced. Funny thing, people often ask me why I like white rods and you almost had it happen to you: easy to see and find under water!

All kidding aside, glad you're ok and all valuable belongings have be rescued.

Those backlashes have almost gotten me before. My time is coming ?